www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 09-08-18, 13:35   #91
Woops
Student

For PC , I have one TR2 folder with the 3 exes in it(each named with what it is, so UK Box, EPC and Multipatch)
As for PSX i have no idea if you can use the same save. But i once got an NTSC save for TR3, and used it on a PAL game, and it worked perfectly- but that was TR3.
But most likely you shouldn't run into any major problems.

Also i wouldn't worry much about differences between levels, there aren't any major differences anyway, and small changes don't crash the game.

-if anyone has any questions about platform specific glitches feel free to DM me, about any classic game-

Last edited by Woops; 09-08-18 at 13:41.
Woops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 14:53   #92
Greenapple968
Relic Hunter

I do have intentions to experiment with some of the other unreachable healthpacks; the ones that haven't yet been proved obtainable. I'm not a PC Player, so I won't be using any kind of modding; I will be relying mostly on glitches. My intentions are to try and see if there might be theoretical ways of reaching the unreachable.

I cannot provide you with any indication as to when this will be as I am in no position to play games at the moment; I haven't been home for over six months and although I will be returning home eventually, I have no idea when that is going to be.
Old 26-01-19, 20:23   #93
Mek
Hobbyist

I am impressed that the medipack has been finally reached

On the other hand, it was obtained with the use of a bug and I am not certain whether the official status of the medipack should be that it is reachable as there are still no legitimate methods of taking it. For me, legitimate methods are glitchless methods. So, for instance, I am convinced that the final hallway in "Offshore Rig" is reachable without filling the pool with water: the jump can actually be made during normal, glitchless gameplay. Maybe it is hard to make, but it is possible using only legitimate methods.

So the next challenge is to discover a method of taking the medipack in "Temple of Xian" without glitches This is, most likely, impossible.

A year ago, in this thread, we were discussing the unreachable medipack in "Guardian of Semerkhet" and were thinking if there are enough medipacks to take to survive "Desert Railroads" and reach the water in "Coastal Ruins" to cure Lara of burning. Some days ago I tried to complete "Desert Railroads" with burning Lara and I almost did it: only a few medipacks were missing. I was simultaneously taking medipacks and running through the level so I undoubtedly wasted some medipacks because of the time necessary to observe Lara's health and take the medipacks. Doing this with another person that would press the buttons on the keyboard to take medipacks in the right moments would definitely provide more efficient use of the medipacks. Moreover, I didn't play this level in the fastest possible way, for example, I didn't use Lara's sprint in all places of this level where it would speed up the run. After this experience, I am almost convinced (but I still may be wrong) that it is possible to reach the water in "Coastal Ruins" while burning. This would mean that all of the items in the last secret in "Guardian of Semerkhet" are reachable in a legitimate way.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-19, 13:33   #94
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
A year ago, in this thread, we were discussing the unreachable medipack in "Guardian of Semerkhet" and were thinking if there are enough medipacks to take to survive "Desert Railroads" and reach the water in "Coastal Ruins" to cure Lara of burning......
You made me think of this picture, as its not a normal way of getting Lara through part of a level, on fire, using up medipack's desperate to find water, but we all have tried it

Old 27-01-19, 14:03   #95
Maverin
Archaeologist

Good one chi!

For me this medipack in Temple of Xian is now officially reachable. I count everything that doesn't use modded files or 3rd party software as a legit way of obtaining an item.

As for TR4: I didn't even know you kept on burning throughout the following levels. Surviving until you get to water seems unlikely, but I should try it sometime
Old 28-01-19, 20:20   #96
Mek
Hobbyist

The Great Chi, the situation was very similar in my run I ran out of medipacks just before the car with the first ninja in the level when I was returning with the crowbar.

Maverin, the facts are that if you have an official version of Tomb Raider II that is not Premier Collection, then you can collect the medipack. If you have Premier Collection, it is still unreachable. Some say that the medipack was intended to be unreachable, but this is also disputable. Maybe, after all, you would agree that the most accurate statement about the medipack is that it is unreachable, but most versions of Tomb Raider II contain a bug that allows its collection?

I was surprised, too, when I found out that the burning is carried to the next level. If my experience described in the previous post doesn't convince you that it may be possible to reach the water in "Coastal Ruins" from the end of "Guardian of Semerkhet" with burning Lara, then maybe my calculations in this topic that were made a year ago do: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...9&postcount=63?
Old 28-01-19, 20:50   #97
Woops
Student

Temple of Xian level file can be inspected with Fexinspect, and you can see a ladder flag leading to the medipack, so yes, it's a bug that you can't reach it.
The fact that you can only get it on one version using a glitch doesn't make any of the other versions less "official". And you're wrong, most versions can not get the glitch. Only one or two can. Excluding PS1, all PS1 versions can get it.

For TR4 you can use the medipack underflowing bug to get unlimited medipacks. (listed under "cheats" in Stella's site for TR5, which is completely wrong.)
Old 28-01-19, 21:35   #98
Mek
Hobbyist

Some people say the opposite, that is, that the medipack was intended to be unreachable. Some examples:

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...3&postcount=29
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...3&postcount=36

There are also facts that support the thesis that the fake ladder was unintentional. You provided one and here is another:

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...9&postcount=30

I think that all of the arguments are reasonable and that it can only be resolved by designers of the level.

You misunderstood me. Maybe I wrote it wrong, but I didn't want to say that the Premier Collection version is not official. The sentences should be as follows:

Maverin, the facts are that if you have an official version of Tomb Raider II that is not Premier Collection, then you can collect the medipack. If you have an official version of Tomb Raider II that is Premier Collection, it is unreachable.

These sentences were supposed to show that there are differences between official versions of Tomb Raider II so one cannot say that the official version is that the medipack is reachable.

I wrote the word most using the information from your post: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...6&postcount=87. You wrote that all PlayStation versions allow the bug and that there are 3 major PC versions and that the bug works on 2 out of the 3 PC versions so my conclusion is that most versions allow the bug. Why is this wrong? What am I missing?

As regards TR4, thank you for writing about the bug. I was aware of it - it was mentioned when we were discussing the issue a year ago. I was thinking about a legitimate method of completing TR4 with all of the items from the last secret of "Guardian of Semerkhet" which excludes using this glitch.
Old 29-01-19, 00:10   #99
Woops
Student

What you linked of people giving their opinions about the medipack being reachable or not doesn't change the fact that the wall is flagged to be climbable in the level, like I said, you can check it with Fexinspect. and (pretty sure) that interview is correct, I've read it before I believe, long time ago. I'll try to find it.

Let me make myself more clear, only one or two versions were released with the mechanics that allow getting the medipack using the glitch, Those being the very first original big boxes (and I think the first patch after that)
All other releases (Premier Collection and after) all have the mechanics that mess up getting the medipack. My original post lists the most 3 common exes by mechanics (NOT versions)
Those exes being "UK Box"- being the exe taken from the original UK Big Box (can get the medipack, it's the very first big box released in the UK). The exe from the Eidos Premier Collection on which you can't get the medipack on (that being EPC and all the other releases that followed.) And Multipatch, which in itself is a fan made patch of the UK Box exe, so it's mechanics allow you to get the medipack.

You can check out this website for more info, the only exe able to get the medipack in here is UK Box(Not too sure about the naming in the website though, but you can get the exes there (NOT no-cd patched, you need to patch them or use a game cd) ) link

Last edited by Woops; 29-01-19 at 10:38.
Woops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-19, 22:03   #100
Mek
Hobbyist

Thanks for the explanation, I think I understand now

I tried to reach the medipack in two Tomb Raider II versions I had at hand:

1. Polish box: the first Polish release ever in a big box which has description in Polish on back cover
2. on-disk TRIIGOLD: a later version that does not need CD, has all data on the hard disk (including music) and is integrated with Tomb Raider II Gold

Just after running the on-disk TRIIGOLD version you have to choose if you want to play TRII or TR II Gold by typing a character on keyboard. This version has a different logo in the main menu than Polish box. One of the differences between the logos is that the bottom edge of the word "RAIDER" in the Polish box version has the shape of straight line whereas the bottom edge of this word in the on-disk TRIIGOLD version is rounded: the letters in the middle are located higher. Another difference is that the number "II" looks different.

I successfully used the glitch to reach the medipack in the Polish box version. What emotions! What a feeling to finally get the medipack by myself without the position editor!

I couldn't get the medipack in on-disk TRIIGOLD. I tried to do it and after jumping and trying to roll in the air, Lara suddenly appeared higher (as expected), but in a different place and she fell into the water instead of landing on the ledge that leads to the room with the medipack.

I think that the Polish box release is equivalent to UK Box.