Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 23-09-20, 12:39   #1
fallenangle

Default PS2 God Of War: TR Musical Reference?

I've been playing PS2 God Of War this week for the first time, part of my extensive unplayed classics' collection.

When I came to this block puzzle:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8HEl4_W73k

I suddenly recognised a short 'choral' section at the beginning but repeated later which seemed very familiar. Its only about 10 seconds but seems to be referencing one of the many TR incidental music themes.

I'm not sure which though; I think it may be from TR3 but I'm not certain. Does anyone else here recognise it?

Last edited by fallenangle; 23-09-20 at 12:40.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-20, 13:52   #2
SnatchingEdges

It reminded me of this:

SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-20, 15:31   #3
fallenangle

No that's the TR3 India theme with the very obvious and evocative drum beat and sitar.

The section I'm taking about in GoW is literally from about 3secs - 20 secs, the background 'choral' sounding part. Its repeated at 1'45" and 3'39" with a shorter repetition at 2'16".

I know I've heard it or something very like it in a TR game but I just can't place it.

BTW the guy in the YT video is making very hard work of a good but relatively simple jigsaw puzzle.
Old 23-09-20, 16:59   #4
.snake.

The GOW music seems to be inspired by the TR3 Spooky Jungle theme, which was inspired by this from TR1:

Last edited by .snake.; 23-09-20 at 17:13.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-20, 02:33   #5
fallenangle

Yes, thanks I think that must be it.
Old 24-09-20, 02:48   #6
HarleyCroft

That's cool, it's definitely familiar
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-20, 15:01   #7
fallenangle

God Of War on the PS2 is a good+ game and may appeal to some TR fans here if they've not thought to try it.

It is very 'sword' combat orientated even more so than the Ubisoft Prince Of Persia games of the same period too. Whilst more linear than a TR or PoP it still has elements that might appeal to some TR enthusiasts. There's plenty of climbing, lever operating, a bit of rope swinging, some puzzles (good ones I think), some exploration and, of course, platforming.

The latter is made deeply annoying in many circumstance by a camera that deliberately swings 180 degrees at just the wrong point and also hides the wider view. With no first-person option you cannot see up/down/left/right unless the game lets you.

There's a lot of running towards the camera too with no option to reset the camera behind Kratos. Some tasks are far more difficult than they should be because of that.

It also has a hateful auto-prompt asking whether you want to swap to the Easy difficulty setting every damned time you fail an area and have to repeat it a couple of times. That is kept up throughout the game - really, really annoying.

So not, in all those respects up to TR standards, but still a good, very playable game that might appeal.

Last edited by fallenangle; 24-09-20 at 15:03.
Old 25-09-20, 01:04   #8
HarleyCroft

I watched my bf play God of War PS4 (the combat isn't really my style so I sat it out) and was intrigued enough to get the collection for PS3.

How do the originals compare to the reboot? Are there more mini-games? Should I start with the first and play them in order? I seem to remember the combat was more hack-in-slash in the PS2 titles from what I've seen of it
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-20, 16:17   #9
fallenangle

I really do not know. I've not played the most recent GoW game as I do not have a PS4 and I've never owned a PS3 either.

The original PS2 GoW game which I'm playing now is my first playthrough. I do have GoW2 in my unplayed collection and I'm thinking I might go straight onto that afterwards as it is supposed to be more like a continuation than a sequel.

Still have to beat the final boss in this game first - its a pig of a fight.
Old 26-09-20, 13:03   #10
Chamayoo

There is really platforming in the original games ? The reboot totally is lacking about this.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote