www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 16-05-19, 08:09   #151
killchan
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
I honestly forget Lara's still supposed to be smart, almost all of it is off-screen such as finding Yamati, while onscreen she's comically stupid and just makes bad decision after bad decision
Alex's diary, TR2013: "Not only she is brilliant" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unq5Q95rwk0 , 0:40 )
Everyone:
Old 16-05-19, 08:49   #152
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
I honestly forget Lara's still supposed to be smart, almost all of it is off-screen such as finding Yamati, while onscreen she's comically stupid and just makes bad decision after bad decision , its frustrating honestly considering how her plot armor ends up bailing her out, like trusting Matthias, using the bow against a group/in a storm and not realising what Matthias wants to do with Sam, I guess she did fall off Croft Manor as a kid after all.
She had a small encounter with him, and she was already suspecting of him. She fell asleep instantly after, and anything after she already knew he was a bad guy.

Also, how do you co-relate making mistakes with lack of intelligence? Making mistakes makes her human, not dumb.

She displays throughout the trilogy how smart she is in multiple departments. It literally starts with her being the reason they've found Yamatai - sure the docs 2013 were mostly obvious, but I'd guess it's just a plot device. She displays cultural knowledge of the places she's in, and gives her own insight on the relics she finds, and the tomb she enters. SOTTR literally shows you how smart and well educated she is in history, when young Lara talks about the stuff you find in the manor museum. Blood ties also mentions how she solved mysteries created by her father and Winston
Old 16-05-19, 08:53   #153
_Seth
Explorer

They need to remove the arbitrary control restrictions that make it so hard to replay the game. I detailed this as best I could in another thread so I'll just quote that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
I'm all for TR having a cinematic story, as long as it never interferes with gameplay. Uncharted 1&2, DmC: Devil May Cry, Angel of Darkness and Spider-Man PS4 prove that you can have a rich storyline that is cinematic AF, but with a clear, defined line between cutscenes and gameplay.

Whenever you're in control of Lara you should have 100% control of your move set at all times. No forced walking, no arbitrary temporary removal of jumping/sprinting/tumbling because of the context, no slowing down so the camera pans to some ancient structure making it feel more like Laras discovery instead of yours which breaks immersion and flow.

When it's a cutscene, it should be 100% non-interactive. No half in and half out of control. No moments where you don't even know whether you're supposed to hold forward. No fake peril during scripted moments where you instinctively know that due to the lack of control, Lara's can't be in any danger. This kind of thing was introduced in Uncharted 3 and 4, which severely hurt those games for me.

I thinking keeping to those rules would satisfy every one. Want a cinematic story? Watch and enjoy the cutscenes, no problem. Don't care about story? Cool, skip the cutscenes and enjoy not having control half removed, ever. I think most people would agree that's a more logical way forward, because who actually likes 75% of your controller being disabled because some NPC is talking or there's a landscape the game wants to show off, when you can do that at your own choice if you wished to. The funny thing is, these scripted moments with dedicated animations just to cripple gameplay flow undoubtedly cost man-power and money, anyway.
Old 16-05-19, 09:12   #154
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
She had a small encounter with him, and she was already suspecting of him. She fell asleep instantly after, and anything after she already knew he was a bad guy.

Also, how do you co-relate making mistakes with lack of intelligence? Making mistakes makes her human, not dumb.

She displays throughout the trilogy how smart she is in multiple departments. It literally starts with her being the reason they've found Yamatai - sure the docs 2013 were mostly obvious, but I'd guess it's just a plot device. She displays cultural knowledge of the places she's in, and gives her own insight on the relics she finds, and the tomb she enters. SOTTR literally shows you how smart and well educated she is in history, when young Lara talks about the stuff you find in the manor museum. Blood ties also mentions how she solved mysteries created by her father and Winston
Because these mistakes are ones only people who are extremely stupid would make.

Its honestly a world of stupid people since Konstatine "We should have killed her" and Matthias are just as stupid.

Last edited by Samz; 16-05-19 at 09:14.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 09:25   #155
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Because these mistakes are ones only people who are extremely stupid would make.

Its honestly a world of stupid people since Konstatine "We should have killed her" and Matthias are just as stupid.
Which mistakes? You mean causing an apocalypse like CLara did in TR4? Not realizing the true, bad intentions of someone, like CLara with Natla in TR1? The enemies not killing Lara at first chance, because they want to take advantage of her capabilities to get them what they want, like, again, Lara in TR1? Making a miscalculation, and injuring herself like in TR3? Trusting again on your nemesis like Lara in Underworld?
Old 16-05-19, 09:48   #156
killchan
Historian

face it, Vaskito.

Reboot Lara isn't brilliant: she's just your average antique nerd.

The only instances of reboot Lara's supposed brilliance and badassery we got to witness, were in the movie, where she isn't a sociopath and has something actually going on in her life.
Old 16-05-19, 09:54   #157
Grimaldi
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
The only instances of reboot Lara's supposed brilliance and badassery we got to witness, were in the movie, where she isn't a sociopath and has something actually going on in her life.
Does she? She’s a bike courier who boxes on the side, but she didn’t have a direction in the grand schemes of things. Reboot Lara put herself through uni off her own back and was part of an expedition by 21, actively trying to find adventure long after her dad was out of her life, whereas movie Lara adventures only because of Richard.
Old 16-05-19, 09:59   #158
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
face it, Vaskito.

Reboot Lara isn't brilliant: she's just your average antique nerd.

Yeah, let's pretend she did not find ancient, hidden places nobody else could find, or ancient artifacts related to such places, or the fact that she got herself and most people out of an island nobody else could get out of, or got herslef out of certain death multiple times with her quick thinking, or how she outsmarted her opponents, and even played some of them, and let's go with the typical downplay of anything related to reboot Lara, which funnily enough, the exact same stuff are praised in other versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
Does she? She’s a bike courier who boxes on the side, but she didn’t have a direction in the grand schemes of things. Reboot Lara put herself through uni off her own back and was part of an expedition by 21, actively trying to find adventure long after her dad was out of her life, whereas movie Lara adventures only because of Richard.
She went to Uni? Well, I guess it means Felicity Huffman is involved in it

Last edited by Vaskito; 16-05-19 at 10:04.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 10:24   #159
killchan
Historian

I'm not saying she's dumb,

what I'm saying is we haven't really seen her prove she's good at anything other than history class.
Anything else, it didn't take a genius to do or figure out.
Old 16-05-19, 13:31   #160
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Which mistakes? You mean causing an apocalypse like CLara did in TR4? Not realizing the true, bad intentions of someone, like CLara with Natla in TR1? The enemies not killing Lara at first chance, because they want to take advantage of her capabilities to get them what they want, like, again, Lara in TR1? Making a miscalculation, and injuring herself like in TR3? Trusting again on your nemesis like Lara in Underworld?
I think Lara would need psychic powers to tell Natla was evil through a computer screen in TR1, yeah her leaving without checking the Amulet was silly in 4.

They don't have scenes where they forget laws of physics exist or trust someone who's obviously evil, Natla doesn't have anything that screams "Evil" while Matthias is obviously evil, they EVEN HAD her realise he was untrustworthy in an earlier shown-off version of 2013 but replaced it for no good reason.