www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 08-11-18, 20:06   #11
LateRaider
Archaeologist

TR:A gets a pass solely cos Larson and Pierre look damn good in it
Old 08-11-18, 20:20   #12
jackraider
Archaeologist

CryD's TRA did not hold up at all. I completed it 100% a few years ago and tried replaying, and honestly had no desire too. The game is so flat with all the desaturated colors. Also, most of the levels I loved in the original where either torn apart, merged with other levels/ area, or missing entirely. And I loved the vividness of Egypt in original, but it is so butchered in CryD's version. Oh, and Atlantis was so much more effective in the original as well. I hated the grappling wall runs in Egypt and Atlantis. So horrible. I think TR 1996 holds up way more. It's just a classic and I play it at least once a year if not more.
Old 09-11-18, 13:07   #13
xdesperado_
Student

I was playing Anniversary a couple of weeks ago. I think it still holds up really well. It’s the entry I most enjoy going back to in the LAU era.

I did like the aesthetics for Atlantis/Lost Island, however some areas were done better in the original - in terms of exploration.

Though the only issues I had were Lara’s bland characteristics & those annoying long corridors. *particularly in the Egypt levels*

Also Lara’s TRA character model is my absolute favourite (alongside the classics of course)

Last edited by xdesperado_; 09-11-18 at 13:13.
xdesperado_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-18, 13:33   #14
_Seth
Historian

Anniversary was, to be frank, a study in what not to do when remaking a game.
Old 11-11-18, 18:38   #15
ESCachuli
Professor

I think Annyversary was only truly better in the Midas and Folly side rooms, and Larson.

Damn, they made Larson very likeable and hot
ESCachuli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-18, 19:18   #16
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
Anniversary tops TR1 in puzzles , traps and boss fights , plus the St Francis Folly level in particular .

TR1 beats Anniversary in exploration , intricate layout of most levels' maps , and platforming .

I can't pick one game over the other , they're on equal level for me .
I actually agree with this. The St Francis Folly level is one of the few post-CORE levels that I think truly matches up to some of the best CORE era ones. In fact, dare I go as far as saying I actually prefer the Anniversary St Francis Folly to TR1's. What they did with pretty much all of the side puzzle chambers and the opening hallway was more fleshed out and "developed" than what TR1 did. From what I remember, Sanctuary of The Scion was also better in Anniversary than TR1.

It's not what they usually did, mind you, many levels in Anniversary chopped out a few too many areas from TR1 that should have been there. However, Anniversary's Francis Folly is one of the few that show CD actually can do as good and even better levels than CORE.

With that said though, in some ways I agree with the sentiments expressed by the OP and some of the other posts. Generally speaking, I do find CD's TR games far too streamlined and "dumbed down" in terms of exploration, and this is across both LAU and Reboot. Even Shadow wasn't complex enough for my liking. I do wish they'd really bring back the importance of exploration where you have to really find your way forward, as opposed to having this straight-ahead path that's very obvious.

Part of this is re-introducing levels that are neither huge open-world hubs or strictly linear, but actually something in between. It would be best to re-imagine the way a lot of classic levels were; maze-like, branching with lots of little side areas and mini-hubs, finding certain items necessary to progress in other areas. Throw in plenty of nasty traps. Throw in small bits of challenging combat here and there, not all the time. To me, this is quintessensially Tomb Raider and it should be the modus operandi in designing most (not all) levels for TR games.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 11-11-18 at 19:27.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 03:13   #17
New Dwight
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Part of this is re-introducing levels that are neither huge open-world hubs or strictly linear, but actually something in between..
something someone need to teach this b*** ass reboot Lara.

AHH!
Old 12-11-18, 04:26   #18
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
I think Annyversary was only truly better in the Midas and Folly side rooms, and Larson.

Damn, they made Larson very likeable and hot
"likeable"... i was thinking of a word that starts with f... pierre was made as such too

...i mean friendable, of course! wtf were you all thinking???

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Dwight View Post
something someone need to teach this b*** ass reboot Lara.

AHH!
i dont think we were talking about her but thanks for contributing
Old 17-11-18, 06:55   #19
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

This used to be one of my favorite games of the series. I would have put it right up there with the original, TR2, and TR3, and I feel that, at the time, I had great reasons for doing so... I'll start with those.

Out of all of the things that Crystal has produced for this series, this game is by far the closest they got to capturing the magic of the old TR titles. That's surprising to no one considering the fact that's it's an actual remaster of the original, but it's still worth noting. It's not littered with pointless cutscenes, headset chatter, or any of the open-world stuff that was introduced in the reboot. It concerns itself with the exploration, puzzles, traps, and enemies that were the core pillars of the first 6 games of the series. And I love that about it. With the exception of Underworld (which is unfortunately a terrible game), this is the only Crystal TR title that tried to capture those elements. So that's a big enough reason for me to have loved it in the first place.

And yet... going back to those core pillars - does this game actually capture them? At its surface, sure, it does. Some levels aren't entirely linear and require a certain amount of problem-solving ability to find out where you're going. Lara comes across adversarial animals and deadly traps to impede her progress. And there are definitely a lot of self-contained puzzles to go around.

All of the aforementioned reasons are ultimately off in execution. Anniversary wants you to believe that it's an exploration-oriented game, but in reality it's far more linear than TR1 ever was. For example, the Coliseum presents the same large chamber with a couple of nooks and crannies tucked away with goodies. But upon finding this chamber, there's only one conceivable place you can go. In the original, you could check out a host of side rooms and discover that none of them were accessible (yet), try to go down a spike pit (and maybe succeed), and then find the actual path you needed to tread. Traps are highly simplified, and while the Egypt section presents long hallways filled with sequential traps, these are isolated in nature and never really blend in with the entire tomb-raiding experience. The biggest offender, however, are the puzzles. This is not because the game's puzzles are bad; on the contrary, levels like St. Francis Folly and most of Egypt do an excellent job of creating self-contained challenges. But the problem with self-contained puzzles is that they never connect with an overall theme. Palace Midas is the primary culprit of this. While I was certainly in awe by how much they improved the side chambers, they removed the vast complexity that made the original so grand. These levels ultimately feel smaller and less rewarding as a result.

I replayed Anniversary about 3 months ago and noticed several of the things that others in this thread have. I still think it's the best Crystal game, and I still think it's actually pretty good. But it doesn't hold up as well as it should, and it fails to really make an impression on the series. Even though it's far better than Legend, it is also more forgettable, and that's largely because the game tried to be like the classics without hitting the mark cleanly. There are also a host of more minor problems (and, for that matter, strengths) that I did not touch upon, but in essence, the hazy re-capturing of old elements is ultimately why this one gave me a false sense of wonder on my first playthrough. That wonder is gone now, and what remains is a pretty pedestrian experience.
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-18, 08:47   #20
Avalon SARL
Relic Hunter

I do not agree at all. TRA is far more complex (except the last part which was RUSHED AS USUAL).

Having played TR2, TR3, TR4 and TR5 all before TR1, when I played TR1 it it felt so very easy, empty and very linear.

ST. Francis Folley, Lost Valley, Egypt were super much better in my eyes in TRA compared to TR1 and that alone makes me enjoy and rate the game much higher.

TR1 was great for its innovative strategy when it first came out, but it does not stand against the other games in the series, and TRA did many things better (but yes it had many ?Meh stuff all because of the plot and DAD I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU B******T

Last edited by Avalon SARL; 19-11-18 at 08:49.
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote