www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 30-08-21, 08:27   #1
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Arrow Difference With The Two Code Clearance Disks (Area 51)

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmtVyAV0R4g

There are two Code Clearance Discs in this level, both of which get dropped by MP Guards. One of them is to be used near the start of the level, and the other is to be used near the end of the level. The one that's to be used at the start of the level causes missiles to raise off a conveyor belt, enabling you to make progress. The one that's to be used at the end of the level causes the spaceship to open, enabling you to complete the level. I used to assume that both Code Clearance Discs were identical, and that either of them could be used in either mechanism. However, I've come to learn that the one that's intended to be used at the beginning only works at the beginning. And that the one that's intended to be used at the end only works at the end. Upon closer inspection, it seems that the two Code Clearance Discs are in fact different in appearance. The one that can only be used at the beginning has blue in the middle of it, whereas the one that can only be used at the end of the level has green in the middle. I thought that it's strange that the two Code Clearance Disks are different and can only work in one designated spot. In other levels, when you've got a multitude of the same item they tend to all work at any of the designated places. The Code Clearance Discs seem to be different for some reason.
Old 31-08-21, 06:55   #2
ANoDE
Golden

I tend to look at them as "normal" key/keyhole puzzles. There's usually only one key that fits a certain keyhole, and it behaves the same with the code clearance disks.
That both items have the same name is unfortunate, but I assume the descriptive names would have been too long.
Old 31-08-21, 20:01   #3
Rai

Wait, don't you find each disks separately? How did you end up with both of them together? Or am I remembering the level wrong?

Anyhoo interesting piece of info
Old 01-09-21, 00:54   #4
Boobandie
Professor

Makes sense, the unique code written on the laserdisc to move the missiles would be different from the code to unlock the alien tech.

In game terms they are simply different key/puzzle objects, unlike instances like in India where you find two identical keys.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-21, 01:05   #5
Kirishima
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Wait, don't you find each disks separately? How did you end up with both of them together? Or am I remembering the level wrong?

Yes, you find both discs seperately on 2 different sniper MPs. First one in the rocket shaft, the second one on the guard tower in the outdoors area outside that rocket shaft. You can only end up with both of them if you glitch to the top of that shaft bypassing that entire rocket launching sequence.

Last edited by Kirishima; 01-09-21 at 01:06.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-21, 07:06   #6
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post

You can avoid the need to use the first Code Clearance Disk with a glitch. I obtained both Code Clearance Disks but used the glitch so that I didn't have to use the first one in the intended spot.

And thank you.
Old 02-09-21, 20:27   #7
Defrago
Hobbyist

As previously said, you can only end up with 2 discs at the same time by using glitches. And they look different, just like the blue and yellow keys at this section and only usable with their intended places.

But there are other Keys in this game that can be used in multiple places. Like Key of Ganesha in Temple Ruins and Uli Key in Lost City of Tinnos. Last one requires glitching as well if you want to use it not in the keyhole it's designed to.
Defrago is offline   Reply With Quote