Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 06-08-20, 01:26   #11
indigo1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by puristic jink View Post
Ahhhh thank you, you've just reminded me of something else to add to the list that I'll be editing for years to come. I think I can see what they were going for with the wall grapple they were trying to appeal with ppl who were used to having a grapple in Legend but of course that feature wasn't even close to being in TRO.
I actually appreciate the grapple. Lara's jumps in the classic TR were ridiculously large. I feel that the grapple was a way to keep a sense of proportion in the levels, or even be able to expand them without having to make Lara jump like she has the legs of a flea hahaha. The wall run mechanics needed improvement but I can appreciate them for trying something new. It's not like TRIV when you have to have pixel-perfect precision to grab rope hanging from the ceiling or else you die haha
indigo1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 01:30   #12
indigo1993

Oh yes I just thought of something else to complain about haha
I HATE anniversary's flat lighting. Sometimes you're in some corridor hundreds of meters deep and the place is clear as day. It makes absolutely no sense. I know OG didn't have flares, but after Legend's PLS, It really felt like a step back and made everything feel super fake. They may have fixed that on the Wii, but who in their right state of mind would deliberately choose to play a game that requires as much precision as Tomb Raider on the freaking Wii?????
indigo1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 01:50   #13
Rai

Indigo1993, please don't double post. If you have more to add, you can edit an existing post.

I actually really enjoy Anniversary. Except for the Time Trials and having to wait every.single.time there's a flyby for triggering things like doors opening, or individual bars moving, or water lowering or raising, you get the picture. Even if the thing that's happening is right in front of you. I don't mind if whatever is activated is some distance away and it happens once, but, no, it's every time, for literally everything.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 01:53   #14
lance6439

yup. it sucks
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 08:29   #15
Santorskif

I personally just kind of felt like Crystal Dynamics making Tomb Raider Anniversary was in poor taste and disrespect to Core Design. Especially after completely butchering their characters and changing so much about it. I wasn't a fan of Lara's "I'm not a girl, not yet a woman" vibe either. I thought the ass shots were a tacky and most of her dialogue felt forced to me, like Crystal Dynamics were trying to force all of these characters to have more drama than they really needed. It all seemed contrived to me. Natla wanting to rule with Lara was just... Strange. Their make-overs were strange. The game felt like a massive trainwreck made by someone who kind of watched the cutscenes of the original game in passing on Youtube while doing something else at the same time, got excited and decided to remake it for fun.

I was deeply excited for the game when it came out because I heard through the grapevines and eventually Youtube videos that Core Design would be making it and I wouldn't have to deal with the weird Lara that I had just seen in Legend. Boy was I disappointed a year later.
Santorskif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 11:40   #16
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo1993 View Post
I actually appreciate the grapple. Lara's jumps in the classic TR were ridiculously large. I feel that the grapple was a way to keep a sense of proportion in the levels, or even be able to expand them without having to make Lara jump like she has the legs of a flea hahaha. The wall run mechanics needed improvement but I can appreciate them for trying something new. It's not like TRIV when you have to have pixel-perfect precision to grab rope hanging from the ceiling or else you die haha
I agree with this. Lara taking off like a rocket when she jumped in the classics leaned on the ridiculous side, to the point it does kind of break immersion to me. I think it's cool that CD have scaled back her jump distances to a more believable extent and added in alternative ways of her being able to cross larger gaps. That said I wish she still had fixed jump distances and not automated ledge grabbing.

Anyway my main issue with Anniversary was how much got needlessly cut out. I didn't mind it in some cases but when you have levels like The Great Pyramid, which cut out the majority of what the original Atlantis level had, that comes off lazy to me. Also resulted in most levels being too linear and obvious what to do, which is a problem that has plagued every single one of CD's TR games.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 06-08-20 at 11:44.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 12:52   #17
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo1993 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Tombraidering to be triggered.
I知 not triggered lol, I知 over it.

I値l just say that Anniversary is a remake, not a remaster and exit the thread.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 13:36   #18
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
I agree with most of your points.

Get over it. The most popular advice of TRF.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 14:12   #19
puristic jink
Inactive

Quote:

Ahh but whats the difference?
puristic jink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 15:14   #20
SnatchingEdges

Quote:

Do you know what could be a good idea? Anniversary fancams flooding this thread
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote