Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 10-05-19, 21:03   #1
gioA

Default help with tr2 gold on windows 10

hi.
just purchased the retail version of golden mask.
how do I get it to work properly on windows 10, with health and ammo showing on screen?
sorry if this is elsewhere but I can't find it on the forum.
cheers!
gioA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-19, 00:37   #2
charmedangelin

Hello

I had this issue before and another member was able to fix this by patching the executable.

You can download this patch here.

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...8&postcount=69

It's the first download link where you have the patched exe.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-19, 11:38   #3
gioA

Thanks.
I'll try this.
gioA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-22, 05:01   #4
HarleyCroft

Hey everyone

I need help installing the Golden Mask in Windows 10. I've tried downloading all the versions linked on Stella's site and TRC and I'm just not able to get it to work I have a PC copy of TR2 if it's still necessary.

Don't have a Steam account (and I don't really want one, I much prefer physical copies but am trying this before ordering an actual copy of TR2Gold) and don't know what GOG is or if it would be a simplest way of installing it.

I've never played Lara's Alaskan/Vegas adventure before and I really want to!
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-22, 08:36   #5
mizuno_suisei

GOG is basically the games as they came on disk, except all files are kept in your local drive and the exe has had the disk check removed.
mizuno_suisei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-22, 13:26   #6
laravision

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
I need help installing the Golden Mask in Windows 10. I've tried downloading all the versions linked on Stella's site and TRC and I'm just not able to get it to work I have a PC copy of TR2 if it's still necessary.

Don't have a Steam account (and I don't really want one, I much prefer physical copies but am trying this before ordering an actual copy of TR2Gold) and don't know what GOG is or if it would be a simplest way of installing it.
If your copy of TR2 is a physical disc, running the trgold.exe from a Golden Mask install folder (Stella's or TRC) should work if the original TR2 disc is in the drive. Not always convenient, but manageable.

Other methods involve using the original game's patched tomb2.exe (Multipatch/Steam/GoG) to play GM, however this isn't advised as this EXE does not contain the same scripting/code as the Gold EXE so you'll run into various problems.

The best ways to play the expansion today are either by using a patched Golden Mask EXE that has the CD check removed (No-CD) in which the original TR2 disc doesn't need to be detected. To save you the hassle of going through the patching process/downloading things from different sources or even purchasing GM (unless you're a collector there's no point - the files are freely and legally available) if you'd like I can PM you a link to a safe and legit working TR2Gold folder which contains a patched GM executable. All you'd need to do is unzip and it'll be ready to play (courtesy of the speedrunning community).

Or, you can use Arsunt's TR2Main. This method allows for a working TR2+GM under a single folder/installation with many optional features. All that's required is a copy of TR2. Setup guide here.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-22, 16:45   #7
HarleyCroft

Thanks for all the info
I'll try a couple of those solutions and if I hit a dead-end I'll PM you. Thanks again
Old 15-09-22, 19:23   #8
HarleyCroft

I got it working, thank you!

Just a couple questions.. is Lara's home not supposed to be in the menu? And what aspect ratio is best? It's finicky on my laptop but I have a few options to mess around on my TV remote. Is 4:3 the best?

Old 15-09-22, 21:36   #9
laravision

Quote:
I got it working, thank you!
Which method did you use? My guess is the 1st option where you require the original disc to run the trgold.exe...

Quote:
Just a couple questions.. is Lara's home not supposed to be in the menu? And what aspect ratio is best? It's finicky on my laptop but I have a few options to mess around on my TV remote. Is 4:3 the best?
Nope, Lara's Home is not meant to be present in The Golden Mask menu. It can be patched in, however you'll have to ditch the CD method (if that's what you're using). This is why I always recommend that people use TR2Main. Doing so will provide a bunch of extra features - two of which are Lara's Home being accessible and widescreen visuals without stretching or cropping.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-22, 23:36   #10
HarleyCroft

I made sure the disk was in at all times
And it took a bit more trial and error to find a download that worked on my laptop.. then some more random clicking on files once unzipped because it wasn't labeled .exe (or I missed it)

Either way, it's working quite well