Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 21-05-19, 14:21   #1
ryan91
Inactive

Default Lost Artefact - Am I too dumb to notice just now that Nessi was a robot all along?

The submarine we get in which the Nessi papers on the wall, I always thought it was a military submarine to search and find Nessi. But I just found out that It was the Nessi! It was a military submarine itself and Lara got inside it. I'm shook to just notice it after all these years
ryan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-19, 12:10   #2
TombRaiderTim

It works well based on the myths that surround Nessie as it was somewhat replicated in the game itself, as you can see it in the distance during the first level in the water if you have a sharp eye and later on docked in Willard's Lair where you enter inside but it is indeed just a type of submarine weapon created by Willard as you find out and the blueprint on the wall shows it is not the real deal or at least participates to you finding out.

Lost Artifact has a lot of fun hidden secrets to find if you go out the way to explore thoroughly and a handful of them are based on things from reality which is why it is one of the best expansions, being able to almost par the main games themselves.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-19, 15:45   #3
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Here is a tombviewer view of Submarine Nessie

The eyes and head and propeller is not in this part of the level, so I have shown them

Last edited by The Great Chi; 23-05-19 at 15:48.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-19, 16:28   #4
Maverin

Yes it was a fake all along. Although I want to believe that one of the Nessies you spot is the real one anyhow.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-19, 16:55   #5
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Thumbs up

Very cool The Great Chi.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-19, 17:48   #6
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Thanks tir online.

I would say that to create a Supernatural atmosphere in this Scotland level, we as players are not quite sure at the start if the nessie that lara spots at the lone tower in the distance is real or not. Also later on we see nessie again through the bars of the castle tower. Then the one that is really interesting is the moving 'head and neck' nessie, when on top of the tower looking down, as that does look a real nessie, until we find there is a submarine nessie later on.

Of course we know that they all had to be made for the game, and the ones seen in the distances, are made using a moving 2D cardboard cutout version, as shown...

Here are a couple of action shots of the 'head and neck' nessie, I just wonder if this was the real nessie, he he, as he looks as if he wants to eat Lara

Last edited by The Great Chi; 23-05-19 at 18:26.
Old 23-05-19, 19:30   #7
boleklo_lo

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
Thanks tir online.

I would say that to create a Supernatural atmosphere in this Scotland level, we as players are not quite sure at the start if the nessie that lara spots at the lone tower in the distance is real or not. Also later on we see nessie again through the bars of the castle tower. Then the one that is really interesting is the moving 'head and neck' nessie, when on top of the tower looking down, as that does look a real nessie, until we find there is a submarine nessie later on.

Of course we know that they all had to be made for the game, and the ones seen in the distances, are made using a moving 2D cardboard cutout version, as shown...

Here are a couple of action shots of the 'head and neck' nessie, I just wonder if this was the real nessie, he he, as he looks as if he wants to eat Lara

Did u know that? Nessie (this in 2D) is just a moving spike wall, because it cause damage and go straight only in one way
boleklo_lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-19, 20:54   #8
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by boleklo_lo View Post
Did u know that? Nessie (this in 2D) is just a moving spike wall, because it cause damage and go straight only in one way
Yes

Last edited by The Great Chi; 23-05-19 at 20:56.
Old 24-05-19, 09:07   #9
VictorXD

Honestly I thought it was kinda vague that the submarine was the inside of Nessi, I didn't notice it the first time I played it too.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-19, 14:31   #10
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

;
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Honestly I thought it was kinda vague that the submarine was the inside of Nessi, I didn't notice it the first time I played it too.
There is a clue, though it is subtle, and that is a technical diagram of Nessie, inside the Nessie submarine

It is very low resolution, hence it is blurred....

Another clue is that you see part of fake Nessie, before you enter underneath.....
I like drawing monster heads

Last edited by The Great Chi; 24-05-19 at 19:44.