Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 30-06-08, 21:25   #1351
AmericanAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie500 View Post
Crystal Dynamics cut nothing out, they were not remaking TR1 they were doing their own re-imaging of the story, they could do it however they liked so long as the main points were the same.
I'm sorry, but that's just awful reasoning. I think they called it a re-imagining so that newcomers would look at it and say to themselves "Look, it's new. Maybe it's nothing like the last few games." Traditional gamers seem to not like the series anymore. Re-imagining? Psh! They took 80% of the game, remade it, and then deleted the rest. Sure, they added their own twists here and there, but it wasn't nearly as different to get the title of a "re-imagined" game.
AmericanAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-08, 21:26   #1352
dcw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAssassin View Post
I'm sorry, but that's just awful reasoning. I think they called it a re-imagining so that newcomers would look at it and say to themselves "Look, it's new. Maybe it's nothing like the last few games." Traditional gamers seem to not like the series anymore. Re-imagining? Psh! They took 80% of the game, remade it, and then deleted the rest. Sure, they added their own twists here and there, but it wasn't nearly as different to get the title of a "re-imagined" game.
So true... The only part of the game that was faithful was Peru
The rest was totally different and some levels were so poor - ie Colusium(Sp?)
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-08, 21:42   #1353
Eddie Haskell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAssassin View Post
I just wrote at length about this very same subject in the TR1 forum.
Eddie Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-08, 22:11   #1354
Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-d View Post
Core's TRA was gonna turn out awful. I mean look at the way she runs in the trailors. It's just a smoothed out version of the first Tomb Raider. She kicks back everytime she runs, and hangs a lot in the air when she jumps. Also, she had no distinct face. And if Core was gonna develop it, it would end up being switch mania (pull that switch stand there pull another switch) And Natla would retain her non threatening southern accent.
I liked Natla's American accent in the original game. In that game, she sounded powerful, aggressive, and arrogant. Just like a business tycoon, and just as I think she should have sounded. The new Natla, though not bad, sounds too much like a sorceress or a seductress, not like a warrior woman who means business. And that's what the final confrontation between Natla and Lara is; a battle between two warriors, with no element of temptation.
Tyrannosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 02:33   #1355
Ward Dragon
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell View Post
I just wrote at length about this very same subject in the TR1 forum.
Wow, very nicely written That's my take on it too, although I don't think I ever wrote it out in such detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus View Post
I liked Natla's American accent in the original game. In that game, she sounded powerful, aggressive, and arrogant. Just like a business tycoon, and just as I think she should have sounded. The new Natla, though not bad, sounds too much like a sorceress or a seductress, not like a warrior woman who means business. And that's what the final confrontation between Natla and Lara is; a battle between two warriors, with no element of temptation.
Exactly! TR1 Natla was perfect. TRA Natla is not bad, but she's a different person and much more common in terms of movie/game bad guys.

I'm too lazy to type this out again, so I found a few old posts where I explained my view on it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Dragon View Post
I think TR1 had a much better story than TRA. It was far more interesting to me and had much more depth. The new Lara does not have more depth in any way, she's just a different person entirely and I don't like her. Same goes for the new Natla, for that matter. Old Natla was awesome, especially her motivations and her forthright nature. New Natla is just power-hungry and manipulative

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- compare the scene where Lara and Natla talk in the Great Pyramid.

In TR1, they are having an intellectual discussion as equals. Lara is reserved and asks logical questions to figure out where Natla is coming from, and when she decides to shoot the Scion it's because she doesn't like Natla's plan. There's nothing personal involved, and no real passing of judgment on Natla.

In TRA, however, Natla is clearly in command of the situation and Lara is being strung along. Natla practically tries to seduce Lara and Lara reacts with self-righteous horror ("This is madness!!!"). Then Natla tries to manipulate Lara by appealing to her new-found guilt, which causes Lara to react emotionally and destroy the Scion without ever getting a clear explanation of what the hell Natla is up to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Dragon View Post
What I liked about Natla in TR1 is she was pure logical curiosity totally devoid of any moral or ethical considerations. She wanted to see what she could do with the Scion, and what sort of "perfection" would result from forcing natural selection into overdrive. She and Lara discussed her experiment intellectually as equals. The new TRA Natla is a stereotypical bad guy who wants power and knows that killing is wrong but does it anyway just to extend her own life. She tries to tempt Lara into joining her and then tries to manipulate her using guilt. It's totally different and I like the TR1 version of Natla so much better.

Last edited by Ward Dragon; 01-07-08 at 02:35.
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 03:51   #1356
Tomb of Legends

Wow I've never thought of it like that before. Lara doesnt like Natla's plan so just shoots the Scion, thats badass.
Tomb of Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 09:13   #1357
na_th_an

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivendell View Post
How so?
The nixxes engine used in TRL and TRA (I'm talking about the PSP ports, of course) is way more powerful. Physics are more realistic, lightining is better, it moves more stuff on screen and things like that.

I tried Free Runing just to test the engine and imagine how TR:AE would perform. It is great, but nixxes is better, I fear.
na_th_an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 09:21   #1358
aussie500
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_th_an View Post
The nixxes engine used in TRL and TRA (I'm talking about the PSP ports, of course) is way more powerful. Physics are more realistic, lightining is better, it moves more stuff on screen and things like that.

I tried Free Runing just to test the engine and imagine how TR:AE would perform. It is great, but nixxes is better, I fear.
That did not quite make sense, Nixxes did the PC, XBox and Gamecube ports, Buzz Monkey did both PSP versions. Unfortunately l do not have a PSP so never got to test out what the controls would have been like.
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 12:16   #1359
Risak

Quote:
You won't know until you play it. Graphic-wise, it would not look half as good as TRA (in the PSP). I've been playing Free Running (same engine as TR:AE) and I've found the engine fairly limited.
Here we go again, comparing PSP graphics (TRAE trailer) to high end console/PC graphics (TRA version)...it shows your agenda

Quote:

It's running fine don't worry. Besides, you suggest TRA was probably better but what are you exactly talking about?

Surely not level design and atmosphere which are the 2 most important things about a TR game
Risak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 20:10   #1360
Rivendell

I only played Free Running on PS2. I enjoyed it immensely, and the *feel* of the game was one of the things I enjoyed most.

The player still felt weighted in that world - something I critisiced about legend/TR:A, where it feels like Lara simply glides over the surface/through levels. This might have something to do with control sensitivity, but I suspect there's something more to it.

I also loved how everything had collision detection (if that's the term)! It annoys the heck out of me that in the latest two TR games, invisible walls coating everything prevent me from feeling like Lara is truly grounded in those levels. When you run into a wall, do you continue to run all floaty-like? Or do you stop, because you know - there's a wall there?
Of course, this is purely design choice - I'm sure both engines from both games could've featured this if the developers so wished.

The physics didn't bother me in the least. I enjoyed it a lot! I've been gagging for large jumps to return to TR since the end of TR6 way back in 2003. The ragdoll (and ragdoll minigames!!) were pure pleasure.

The animations were fluid and gorgeous (especially on long combos!). The graphics were on the cartoony-side of realistic, but definitely nothing to turn your nose at - the game looked really nice. Definitely another notch up from AoD. Speaking of AoD, this engine/game felt nothing like AoD - thankfully none of the problems from that engine exist on the Free Running one.

The levels were all massive and included space for many things. I'm not sure how you can judge it's more limited than the current TR engine, seeing as TR has more things going on in it. Multiple NPCs on screen at the same time, all fighting Lara, running around, shooting, hitting, hiding, explosions, motorbikes, climbing etc. In comparison, what does Free Running show? One player (or 2 in the races) Free Running, jumping around. It's not exactly fair to judge.

Gah, now I want to play it again!

Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote