www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 21-07-21, 18:05   #11
_Seth
Archaeologist

As much as it's my favourite game, I think the rep is unfortunately quite justified. Fundamentally only hardcore fans and people with more patience than average will enjoy the game.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-21, 19:14   #12
Jathom95
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
As much as it's my favourite game, I think the rep is unfortunately quite justified. Fundamentally only hardcore fans and people with more patience than average will enjoy the game.
I think it's reputation is justified, to an extent. I think AOD more than anything has become a lesson for developers to not set your sights so extremely high that you can't even see the ceiling anymore and lose sight of what you were working on on the first place. And generally, I have no issues at all when someone directs criticism at it. Subjectively, it's a flawed but ambitious title that really wanted to do something good. Objectively, there's really no denying that it's not a great *game*, there's far too many half-baked concepts than there should be to where the story is what keeps you invested. And I say this as a fan of it.

But I do think the hate for it, occasionally at least, is a bit much. Not in the sense that a lot of points made aren't valid, but often it seems like nobody really wants to talk about why they don't like it - part of why I created this thread in the first place. Maybe I'm just the type who likes to really sit down and tell how I feel about something. So when somebody says "Meh, worst game ever. Didn't even play it, still sucks. Next." I'm the type of person asking why. Like in genuine curiosity, because I like to know what someone's whole opinion is on something. I'm just naturally curious I guess.
Old 21-07-21, 20:25   #13
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

Tomb Raider the angel of darkness...

Without a doubt the most infamous of all TR titles, I do love it for it.

Lara Croft's story came to a natural conclusion in this game, the stakes felt even higher than before and Lara never looked better. This game was supposed to be the one that brought Lara back; the premise and themes in the game are marvelous, dare I say, the best we've gotten in the series ever! BUT the gameplay department was severely unpolished and underdeveloped and is to blame for this game's ultimate failure. I blame the pointless upgrade system more than anything, the game should have never been designed around that feature... it was dumb that you had to push a wall in order to go back and be able to pull a lever at the opposite end of the room which you couldn't pull before because apparently you weren't strong enough. It was so clear to me when I was a child that something was wrong with this game, I kept trying to get on top of the trash bin and on to the balcony but kept failing misserably bc the controls felt so clunky and unpolished. It is certainly what prevented many people from accessing the game or even completing half of it, the controls. And not only that, the outdated controls was one thing, but then you have Lara falling into the vortex eternally outside of Le Serpent Rouge and more endless glitches such as the creature in Aquatic Research Area not reacting to the trap you've set for it and chasing you nonstop regardless or the weapons appearing/disappearing in Lara's holster but these are again, minor glitches compared to the one first mentioned of Lara falling into the game world which has happened to me at least 5 times. One of the most annoying things of this game is the fact that due to a bug you can not use Lara's Dual Pistols even though they are everywhere, in cutscenes, art, etc. Even with all of it's shortcomings I love AOD and I don't think Core deserved what they got, they should have had another chance. They clearly put their hearts and soul into the project so much that even though it is unfinished you can clearly see all of it's magnificent potential and how much endless work and thought was put into it. If Crystal has had a chance after all of the different mistakes they've made, why couldn't Core be forgiven for just one mistake? Not even CD worked with the pressure and urgency from the higher ups like Core did, anually, burnt out of work, they certainly deserved more credit in my opinion.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 21-07-21 at 20:35.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-21, 20:45   #14
Jathom95
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
Even with all of it's shortcomings I love AOD and I don't think Core deserved what they got, they should have had another chance. If Crystal has had a chance after all of the different mistakes they've made, why couldn't Core be forgiven for just one mistake? Not even CD worked with the pressure and urgency from the higher ups like Core did, anually, burnt out of work, they certainly deserved more credit in my opinion.
They almost would have, as it so happens. Shortly after AOD's release, Eidos let Core take the fall for basically everything surrounding the game, even with The Cradle of Life which blamed its lackluster sales on the game's failure. Of course no mention was made of Eidos demanding it to cash in on the hype.

However, they were actually going to give Core another chance right at first. I guess it was easier they thought at the time than getting a whole brand new studio and team up to speed on the game. However, Eidos was acquired by SCi, which was completed in 2005. They viewed Core as a legacy developer who'd far outlived their talent as a studio and one that was not only tarnished in reputation, but one that would no longer make a return on anything they put out. So they outed Core and replaced them with Crystal. And the rest, as they say, is history.
Old 22-07-21, 00:00   #15
LaraCablara
Professor

Iím sorry but for years I used to put the blame on Eidos but in recent times I think Core shares a big part of it. Say what you want about Eidos but at the end of the day the project started in 1999 and got delayed up until 2003. Whole thing was just massively mismanaged and over ambitious.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-21, 00:54   #16
Jathom95
Historian

^ Yeah, I agree. That's part of what I mentioned in my initial post.
Old 22-07-21, 12:37   #17
Jathom95
Historian

Another thing I notice as well is that people often relate AOD's failure to Core's in general. What I mean is if you bring up the classics, oftentimes people say that Tomb Raider was taken from Core because of "their many failures".

Core had a difficult time adjusting to the then-current early 2000s games standards and all that, but I wouldn't say they had failures left and right. Even Chronicles was considered a success sales-wise. Hell, AOD sold around 2.5 million which was pretty big for the time. It was the backlash more than anything that did them in. Referring to the games themselves that is.

Now, if you make an argument about the team itself, that at least has some merit. But even then I'd say that they probably could've gotten their act together if given another chance. Just look at how eager they were to release AE back in the day before it ceased development.

Last edited by Jathom95; 22-07-21 at 12:40.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-21, 14:52   #18
Avalon SARL
Relic Hunter

An interesting story that fell into the wrong hands unfortunately.

This game is horrible and that's it.

Nothing about it is even TRish except for the main character.
Old 22-07-21, 15:45   #19
Profc
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post
Nothing about it is even TRish except for the main character.
I have to disagree about this part. TR games never really had a style that was completely set in stone. It's not that different from the classic games in terms of locations and puzzles. We already had multiple cities and industrial settings in the classics before AOD. Chronicles, TRII and TRIII are full of them.

I mean how is Paris different from Venice, London or Rome?

Game had a lot of problems, but I feel that the fans are exaggerating some of the other non-issues. TR games featured dinosaurs, mermaids, aliens, mutants, and all sorts of creatures.

We got the the nightclub and the Sanitarium in AOD, but we had Area 52 and Antarctica in TR III.
Old 22-07-21, 15:57   #20
Jathom95
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profc View Post
I have to disagree about this part. TR games never really had a style that was completely set in stone. It's not that different from the classic games in terms of locations and puzzles. We already had multiple cities and industrial settings in the classics before AOD. Chronicles, TRII and TRIII are full of them.

I mean how is Paris different from Venice, London or Rome?

Game had a lot of problems, but I feel that the fans are exaggerating some of the other non-issues. TR games featured dinosaurs, mermaids, aliens, mutants, and all sorts of creatures.

We got the the nightclub and the Sanitarium in AOD, but we had Area 52 and Antarctica in TR III.
Yep. That's something I think is one of those non-issue things like you said that a lot of detractors use just to have another reason to hate the game. AOD has a lot of problems, and the urban environments aren't one of them.

If 1-5 had kept the same exact formula all the way through and Lara never left the tombs at all, I guarantee people would've gotten bored of the concept. There's only so many ways you can create an actual tomb layout and have it still feel fresh.

And people act as if AOD had none at all. Hello? Tomb of Ancients, The Hall of Seasons, Vault of Trophies, etc.

Last edited by Jathom95; 22-07-21 at 16:01.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote