www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 18-01-21, 06:12   #81
Mek
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
it's the closest to an answer we have. i think it's official enough if it's by official crystal dynamics staff, regardless of whether or not she got it by checking wikiraider or the tomb raider fandom wiki
The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that it is not enough to say it's official. Another three reasons:
  • Core Design timeline is separate to the Crystal Dynamics timeline. We have only information about Larson in Tomb Raider Chronicles being Conway so the confirmation would be only about the Core Design timeline. This change would be made by another studio after 16 years of the release date of the game. Sorry, but this does not seem legit for me.
  • If you honor such a change, then every detail could be changed this way. We could all agree that Natla would be Natla X from now, we would change all of the wikis and there would be a "30 Years of Tomb Raider" guide in 2026 and its author would copy the error from the wikis without checking sources because a surname is just a detail and it would become canon. Does it feel right? Definitely not. If Crystals had made this change consciously and if it had appeared in a game, then it would matter I think.
  • If you say that DuPont is fanon, then why don't you apply the same logic to Larson who always was just Larson in the games? When one sees DuPont in the guide, one could say that Meagan Marie changed the official spelling to DuPont...
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 08:08   #82
LateRaider
Professor

I mean, you're welcome to your opinion. I'm sorry, I should've been more explicit: it is my opinion that this is as close to an official answer as we'll get. I feel sated enough to say the search is concluded.
Old 18-01-21, 18:52   #83
Mek
Historian

I thought the search was to find the explanation of Dr. Cheese sources and not just any official source which says "Conway".

Nevertheless, (no offence to you) I believe we can do better. In the future, there will probably be a chance to make an interview with developers of Tomb Raider: Anniversary. Then, they could be asked about "Conway".

Last edited by Mek; 18-01-21 at 19:00.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 20:10   #84
LateRaider
Professor

That would be nice. I mean, yeah, I would love to find Dr. Cheese but I feel like it's impossible at this point. Dr. Cheese is such a generic name and I don't even know where we'd find them.

Last edited by LateRaider; 18-01-21 at 21:19.
LateRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 20:54   #85
Moon-Safari
Relic Hunter

the show "Lost" was popular at the time. So I always assumed they were inspired by the actor who is very southern and reminiscent of Larson. His name is Josh Hollaway... Conway, Hollaway. Always rang a bell for me.

Old 18-01-21, 21:20   #86
BlueCake
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikky View Post
Damn... Reading this thread is so effing weird. This must be a case of the Mandela Effect or something, because before this thread, I would have sworn on my future children's limbs that Larson is named "Larson Conway" in the TRA in-game biographies. Where did I even get that name from then? I wasn't part of the forums or even involved in the fandom back in 2007...
Same here, i could swear his bio in TRA had Conway in it.
On a side note, his leaked model file in TRAE reads Larson, no Larsen here.
BlueCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-21, 02:52   #87
LateRaider
Professor

I didn't think I'd still be posting in this thread nearly 3 years after I made it, but here we are.

So, right, Keeley Hawes will be voicing Lara in Tomb Raider Reloaded. But that's not relevant to this topic. In the cutscene added to TRR's latest build, Lara mentions Larson Conway by name--in a voiced line, no less.

Here

Credit to our very own Charmedangelin for this video.

After watching it, I spoke with with Ed regarding the curiosity of Larson Conway. To distill our conversation to the basics:

- I directed him to this thread and my article, recommending the article due to its comparative brevity
- I informed him Conway is a fanon name
- I also let him know Vicky Arnold intended it as a surname
- I encouraged him to keep it and directed him to Megan's book, where Conway is also used
- He told me that Neha, Meagan, and Dallas will be the ones to weigh in on what to do with the name now that the information has come to light
- While I was at it, I let him know about the name Pierre Dupont being spelled with a lowercase p in TRI N-Gage and TR:A's subtitles

This is certainly an interesting development. Only time will tell what the future holds for this beloved minor villain. At this point? I honestly hope they allow TRR to keep the name. It's been fanon for so long that it may as well be canon. Literally no one noticed for 11 years until I made this thread, after all! Maybe I shouldn't have said anything to Ed, I don't know. But I feel like as the holder of this information I should share my knowledge.

edit - high quality screenshots of the important parts.

Larson's "unified" design by Emerald City Games

(Temporarily?) Canonized Larson Conway

Last edited by LateRaider; 24-07-21 at 03:50.
LateRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-21, 00:05   #88
Frceghst8
Student

^ Until it becomes canon, it still is irrelevant as Larson is a minor character.
Frceghst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-21, 00:54   #89
LateRaider
Professor

thanks for your contribution, it was helpful and insightful!