www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 07-10-20, 03:49   #21
Error96
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Well, I think we can agree that we're coming at this from different perspectives. You are saying that 'becoming the TR' is synonymous as 'becoming [Classic] Lara Croft'. Or at the very least, as close as possible. And the outfit is part of that. I have already agreed that the outfit of bluish (*) top and shorts and wielding the duals is something SLara should have at some point [for some fans to recognise her as Lara Croft]. I just happen to think she's become recognisable in her own right, but the outfit is not an essential part of her being the TR.
Yes I think you have summed up my perspective. While there may be differences in our outlooks at least I think we fully understand each other's views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I understand what you're saying, that from the fans' pov, Lara Croft has a recognisable look, gear and sassy attitude and SLara needs to have it too. I'm not disagreeing with that, exactly. Maybe it really is that simple for you. SLara can climb multiple mountains, use a grapple to fling herself across as many ravines as she likes, fight and defeat hundreds of enemies, and collect as many artefacts as she can, but without the outfit, and a few choice words to sass an enemy she is just not Lara Croft. You even dismissed the idea that being a tomb raider is about going on adventures (Grizzly Bear's quote).
These abilities are about becoming a survivor, hardened explorer or hero. They could also apply to Nathan Drake, Indiana Jones or even Kurtis Trent. Becoming THE Tomb Raider is things that would be specifically linked to an established Lara Croft like sass, the look or duals and not just a general expression for a hardened adventurer. The brand has more detail and intricacy to just accept that is enough. I think it's a defining thing or as indigo1993 said a right of passage.

The idea there was a massive leap forward in Shadow that transformed her to a complete Lara just seems to be a PR bluff. A duals return would probably achieve a much bigger community response than the trilogy resolution. The Roth's pistols idea would have been really a poignant angle but they just forgot him. Still concluding the parents stuff which have hampered Lara's development over the last two games leaves a more positive and fresh space going forward.

Last edited by Error96; 07-10-20 at 03:57.
Error96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 03:50   #22
LateRaider
Professor

Hi Grizzly! I love the thread so far. I hate to pimp my own work here, but I actually did my own analysis on Survivor Lara last year. I thought you and maybe others might be curious to see it? The collected version can be found here on Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/EX50Sbnv
Old 07-10-20, 04:30   #23
Error96
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
Hi Grizzly! I love the thread so far. I hate to pimp my own work here, but I actually did my own analysis on Survivor Lara last year. I thought you and maybe others might be curious to see it? The collected version can be found here on Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/EX50Sbnv
A long piece but an interesting one. I like how you managed to find some sarcastic wit from Lara in 2013. There are certainly a few bits where you outlined a concept put in the games and I thought that's really interesting and then I think of the execution of it or more specifically how it didn't come across right. Like with the impact of Roth's death or Lara's realizing what she has to do with the divine source. A confrontation boss battle with Sofia would have really intensified Rise's ending. The hero complex you mention was probably the good idea that turned out the worst. You present it as intended to bring more depth to Lara but it made her motives seem very simplistic. After getting to the end I feel more ah that's what they were supposed to be attempting with some of the bits, than I did before so a good read.
Old 07-10-20, 06:27   #24
LateRaider
Professor

oh absolutely error, the execution of the plot was an absolute trainwreck. they TRIED, but what's there is far too subtle. what's more egregious is what ISN'T there, and that would be the more overt arc lara deserved.

btw thank you for reading all the way through! ♥

Last edited by LateRaider; 08-10-20 at 01:37.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 08:39   #25
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Quote:
Thanks!! And you also included the comics, which is amazing!!

I will add this link, as well as Rai definition of Tomb Raider to the OP!!
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 14:44   #26
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

This was a great read.
Thank you for this Grizzly, and Rai for contributing. Itís nice to see people who understand Lara and her story and growth
Old 08-10-20, 17:43   #27
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Great thread idea!
I feel like this will cater well to the fans of the reboot and will help explain some things to them and others.

I personally donít find the reboot games or story much to be excited or passionate about but Iím glad that spark is set off for others like yourself.

I much prefer to actually read a synopsis like this on the stuff than actually play the games since (IMO) CD just doesnít do a good job of explaining a lot of this or doing the story well. For example, this synopsis leaves out a lot of the poor dialogue or filler scenes in parts of the game but when you explain it it makes it so much better and much more interesting!

Again, thank you for posting this and I hope if this reboot timeline continues that you can continue posting stuff like this as well!
Old 08-10-20, 18:00   #28
Rai

Quote:
This is an incredible analysis of Lara's character and growth throughout the trilogy. You've made points I hadn't thought of. Such a well thought out and written piece. Thank you.
Old 09-10-20, 05:11   #29
LateRaider
Professor

thanks rai! i want to turn it into a video series someday but that... requires me getting footage lol.
Old 09-10-20, 08:57   #30
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
thanks rai! i want to turn it into a video series someday but that... requires me getting footage lol.
That's something I wanted to do