Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 07-08-16, 17:01   #1
Gh0stBlade

Default Tomb Raider Legend/Anniversary Mod Tools.

Hey everyone!

I wrote some tools to unpack/repack the DRM sections for Tomb Raider: Legend and Anniversary. This means it's "possible" to alter some of the DRM data and repack it back. Currently I have in development tools to convert textures and sounds.

Some examples of texture/sound effect alterations:

You can:
  • 1. Modify / swap textures.
  • 2. Modify / swap sound effects.

You cannot:
  • 1. Import new 3D models.
  • 2. Import new animations.
  • 3. Import new scripts.

Known issues:
1. N/a

CAUTION: DO NOT rename ANY of the sections that DRM.EXE extracts! DRM sections have unique hash names which are stored in the filename. To ensure everything is packed back correctly do not change them.

Here are the steps you must take to modify any DRM files.

1. Unpack the bigfile.* archive

1.1 Download Gibbed's Bigfile unpacker from:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19940372/gibbed/gibbed.zip

1.2. Unpack the ZIP to an empty folder.

1.3. Copy your bigfiles for TRL or TRA or TR8 (only have 1 game's bigfiles coppied here at a time or you'll overwrite them since the names are the same).

1.4. Create a new text file called "unpack.txt" (where you extracted Gibbed's tools) copy the following text into it then save it:

Code:
unpack -p="Tomb Raider 7" bigfile.000
Note: Replace -p="Tomb Raider 7" with "-p="Tomb Raider Anniversary" for TRA, and -p="Tomb Raider 8" for TRU.

1.5. Rename unpack.txt to unpack.bat (you must have file extensions viewable or you won't be able to do this). Double click "unpack.bat" and the bigfile will be extracted to a new folder "bigfile_unpack".

1.6. The main DRM files are located in "bigfile_unpack\default\pc-w" so you must navigate here.

2. Extract the DRM sections.

2.1. Download the DRM unpacker/repacker from here and extract it to a new folder.

2.2 Copy the DRM from (bigfile_unpack\*) you wish to unpack/modify to the same folder where you extracted DRM.EXE (in this case I use lara.drm from TRL).

2.3. To unpack the DRM simply, drag and drop the .DRM file onto DRM.EXE.

2.4. You should notice a new folder has been created which contains all the unpacked sections.

2.5. To repack, simply drag and drop the result folder containing all DRM sections.

2.6. You should get a new file named "Repacked.drm". This is the file you'll want to pack back into the bigfile. (It is important you rename this back to the original DRM filename and replace it with the one from the extracted Bigfile folder or the data will not be overwritten.

2.7. Repack the bigfile same as unpacking put you use pack.exe and pass the folder to pack. See http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=192773

2.8. Once repacked you simply copy those Bigfiles back to your original TR7/A/U directory and launch the game

3. Modifying Textures.
3.1 Simply drag and drop the .pcd file onto PCD2DDS.exe. This will convert the .pcd to DDS (Direct Draw Surface) format. You may make any changes, save it back in the same DXT format (to be safe). Finally drag and drop the modified .dds file onto PCD2DDS.exe which will convert it back to .PCD. Note You must rename the final .PCD file back to the original file name and copy it to your unpacked DRM folder

4. Modifying Sound Effects.

4.1 Currently this is possible if the sounds you intend to import are encoded with IMA ADPCM. It's pretty much the same process as converting textures back and fourth except you'll need to use WAVE2WAV.EXE.

===

Tutorial is subject to change, happy modding!

Regards.

Last edited by Gh0stBlade; 09-08-16 at 16:03.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 17:18   #2
Alex Fly
Inactive

Impressive work there, Gh0stBlade !
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 14:54   #3
Tombraiderplay
Inactive

Why can't we change the lara model ? Maybe alter some meshes ??? We basically would have controll over the game animations are a bust too but dont get me wrong i SO LOVE YOUR WORK

Good Luck !!
Tombraiderplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 15:58   #4
Gh0stBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraiderplay View Post
Why can't we change the lara model ? Maybe alter some meshes ??? We basically would have controll over the game animations are a bust too but dont get me wrong i SO LOVE YOUR WORK

Good Luck !!
Modifying models won't happen unless someone finds a way to swap two mesh sections without the game crashing. Currently, doing so will crash the game and the cause is not found yet. Until then, there's no point in writing mesh tools for TRL/TRA. It's a known issue that also happens in TR8, once solved it should be very easy to import TRU X360 DLC models to the PC engine

===

I have made some adjustments to the DRM repack tool. There's a new check that will patch the section hash if it doesn't match the one in the filename (This is more-so a user based improvement for those who don't know how to hex edit).

https://github.com/Gh0stBlade/cdcEngineTools/releases

Regards.

Last edited by Gh0stBlade; 09-08-16 at 16:03.
Old 09-08-16, 17:33   #5
Tombraiderplay
Inactive

Damnn ... i hope we find out soon

Since im here and asking can i ask you if we can change level files ? Maybe play a TRU map with the TRA engine and vice-verca ... is it possible ?

----

I Adore your Signature
Old 09-08-16, 21:24   #6
Gh0stBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraiderplay View Post
Damnn ... i hope we find out soon

Since im here and asking can i ask you if we can change level files ? Maybe play a TRU map with the TRA engine and vice-verca ... is it possible ?

----

I Adore your Signature
I haven't looked at scene meshes yet. I assume the game will crash just like what happens with standard meshes. If it did work, someone could write a tool to import new room meshes. The collision data would need to be replaced as well.

Cheers.
Old 10-08-16, 10:44   #7
Zsott

Nice work!

Can i ask something?
Is it possible to restore some of the unused dialoges too?
(I don't know they are scripted or not)
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-16, 17:42   #8
Tombraiderplay
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
I haven't looked at scene meshes yet. I assume the game will crash just like what happens with standard meshes. If it did work, someone could write a tool to import new room meshes. The collision data would need to be replaced as well.

Cheers.
The fact that there is hope makes me wanna jumpy joy
Old 11-08-16, 12:33   #9
Gh0stBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
Nice work!

Can i ask something?
Is it possible to restore some of the unused dialoges too?
(I don't know they are scripted or not)
Which unused voice files? I didn't know there are left over unused voice files in the final game. I know there's a few in the PS2 demo though. You should be able to swap .MUL files at the very least. Triggering voice lines with new scripts isn't possible unless the format is known.

Cheers.
Old 19-08-16, 17:01   #10
laracroft1997

is it possible to add AOD's Footstep SFX ?
laracroft1997 is offline   Reply With Quote