Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 28-09-19, 22:30   #1
Popov

Default TR4 cutscenes replay

Thanks to Sapper and T4Larson work on deciphering the file format, I have been able to read the cutseq.pak file and play the cutscenes from TR4.

It's not polished yet and I still have a little work to do, but it does work (it's not on my site, I will update my other post when it is ready).

However, some data are missing in this file, and I wanted to know if someone would know where to look for them...

In some cutscenes, Lara is firing with guns then takes the guns back to her holsters. So, we would need something like anim commands to handle this, but there are (it seems) no such data in the cutseq.pak file...

In other cutscenes, some objects have to be hidden/shown at some points during the replay, so it's something that have to be described somewhere too.

I looked at the padding data that were not described in the Sapper / T4Larson document, but it's not there, the padding are all-0 data.

I had a look at the script.dat file too (in fact, I read the description in the TRosetta Stone doc), but I can't see any command that would give such information.

So, hoping someone would have an idea, or else it's hard-coded into the .exe file (it would have been so easy to put that in the cutseq file...).

It seems people are able to create cutscenes with the TRLE editor (or with a custom tool?): is it right? If yes, are they able to use special commands during the playback, like hide/show objects, use a meshswap, ... ? That would be a great news if it's possible, as it would mean those data are somewhere indeed and can be retrieved.
Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-19, 22:54   #2
Gh0stBlade

Hi Popov!

You might want to look at file "DELTAPAK.C" from TOMB5-decompile project. Though the code is based off PSX, I believe the cutseq format is the same across all platforms (PSX, PC and DC).

See: https://github.com/TOMB5/TOMB5/blob/...LTAPAK.C#L3034

Though I haven't looked into the cutseq.pak/cutseq.jiz format in great detail since decompilation has not reached the stage of cutscenes, the code in DELTAPAK.C might be useful to decipher the missing bits you require.

Cheers.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-19, 23:48   #3
Popov

Thanks Gh0stBlade!

Indeed, data is hardcoded, there are some programming that check specific frames in specific cutscenes to take special actions (draw weapons, hide objects, etc)...

I guess you don't have the same routine decompiled for TR4 ?

In any case, this is really a shame Core did not use anim commands embedded into the cutseq.pak file to handle that... Would have been too easy I guess
Old 29-09-19, 02:48   #4
sapper

Need to find the array of cutscene control routine pointers in TR4 I guess.

CUTSEQ_ROUTINES cutseq_control_routines[]

Last edited by sapper; 29-09-19 at 02:50.
sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-19, 04:48   #5
Uzi master

There are animation commands that mske lara draw and fire her pistols, they're a bit buggy though, the holster meshes dont quite swap properly.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 20:52   #6
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi master View Post
There are animation commands that mske lara draw and fire her pistols, they're a bit buggy though, the holster meshes dont quite swap properly.
I wonder if that's why Lara's thighs are usually out of frame when she draws them in cutscenes...
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 22:01   #7
Popov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi master View Post
I don't think it is in TR4 cutscenes as there are no anim commands for TR4 cutscenes.