Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 06-01-20, 01:45   #1
GabrielCroft

Default Petition to bring Lara Croft back to what she used to be

Hi

To Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal and Square Enix

This is a thread working as a petition to:

Petition to bring Lara Croft back to what she used to be

EXPLANATION! Since many people around here are complaining that they will never bring back classic Lara from the CORE era again, let me try to explain this better: this petition is asking for them to make Lara more close to the original/classic one, bringing back some aspects, elements, both for her look and personality, like her sarcastic attitude, her braid, backpack, dual pistols, acrobatic moves coming back (swinging on horizontal poles, for example) and maybe even her classic, blue tank top + shorts outfit. All of these made her an recognizable character, so these elements are her icons. Call it a new Lara Croft, a new classic Lara, it doesn't matter. She just needs to be inspired on what she was supposed to be originally.

This picture is just a representation. Credits: FredelsStuff (deviantart.com/fredelsstuff)

Quote:
"Speaking of the trilogy, does it all end here?"

"The trilogy yes. Not so the saga. It is a defining moment. At the end of the trilogy, the player and Lara will understand what it is like to be a Tomb Raider. Afterwards, I do not know what will happen, but forget about shorts, dinosaurs and twin pistols". - answered Daniel Crayer Bisson, creative director, during an interview about Shadow of The Tomb Raider
link here

As a fan, I feel insulted, offended. Just like many fans around here, I feel that we, as Tomb Raider and Lara Croft fans since the beginning of the franchise, are being disrespected.

Imagine supporting and loving a franchise since it's first project/work, and then, suddenly, after years, they decide to change the main character completely. This is what happened to Lara Croft.
First of all, the decision was only theirs and they think this is better for her, but what about us, longtime fans that miss the good and old Lara? It's almost a decade and they don't hear us.

I decided that I will not support Tomb Raider anymore unless they change the character. I believe many of you decided to do the same, as I can see people commenting this here often. So, that's why I created this thread/petition. It's about time to unite all the people who agree with this and try to make a change!

Lara Croft was drastically changed since 2013's reboot. Reboot Lara and the "original" Lara are completely different persons. Since the reboot, many fans of the franchise have been waiting for Lara Croft to finally become more mature, experienced, badass and sarcastic like she used to be (almost an entire change of her personality, but more modern and human). Also with a braid, backpack and dual pistols. These are important, iconic elements that she had and that we grew up with. They were recognizable by anyone because they were her icons. They made the character and they need to return. They're part of her and part of Tomb Raider.

Just teasing us with dual pistols in the movie, TR 2013's ending, Rise of The Tomb Raider's DLC and many other classic easter eggs without them actually coming back at all won't do. It will never be enough.

This is not a petition to scrap out the reboot, it's more like to continue the storyline making Lara more mature with these classic elements. It would be like she finally evolved into the experienced heroine we all know from the past games behind the 2013 reboot, but still with a modern and more human personality.

Personally, I wouldn't mind for a soft reboot or a remake of a classic TR, but I think this is another discussion. We're here just asking for the change/evolution of the character, no matter if it will be a remake, soft reboot, reboot or a new sequel to the current timeline/reboot games.

For example, let's talk about Final Fantasy and Resident Evil remakes, going back to their roots, revisiting classics, and that has resulted in so much money and success lately.
Characters from many old-school franchises stay faithful to their classic ones, like we see in Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Mortal Kombat, etc. So why can't Lara Croft?

Lara Croft was badass, so brave and confident, elegant and sarcastic. An icon as a female protagonist.
A true empowered videogame queen.

This is a petition asking for Lara Croft to return as the iconic heroine she used to be.

29 Times Old School Lara Croft Was A Total Badass

How can you help?
Just sign in this thread. Comment, show that you're in this cause with us!
Just like @charmedangelin suggested, we can sign in the red color to help with visibility just like this:

Signed

Want to help even more? Put this in your signature:

Quote:
Team Classic: We want our classic Lara Croft back!
On Twitter, there is a hashtag called #BringClassicLaraCroftBack if you want to spread the word there.

Thank you all, Tomb Raider fans. We're together in this. This means a LOT to me and many of us, I can assure.

I know many don't even have hope at all, but please, let's try to believe a little bit and it will be enough. We all know there's a possibility that this won't work, but on the other hand, there's a possibility it will work. Just take your time to sign, please, it will probably take less than one minute of your time. At least we're trying.

I still have hope that our old and classic Lara can return one day. I grew up with her, she was an icon to me and I can't wait to meet her again

UPDATE

As we can see, the more-classical-approach-Lara stars in her Lara Croft games (Guardian of Light and Temple of Osiris), also in Lara Croft GO and now Ubisoft teamed up with Square Enix to give Ash a classic Lara Croft skin in Rainbow Six Siege. And we have more! One more classic skin of Lara in Brawlhalla.

I guess this is time to have her starring a major game again.

UPDATE 2

The famous Tomb Raider composer Nathan McCree joined our cause!

Proof of the conversation I had with him on twitter:

UPDATE 3
Changed the main picture.

TRF members who signed:
(for twitter supporters, please check the hashtag mentioned above)

1.GabrielCroft
2.Legends
3.Costel
4.charmedangelin
5.AdrielRaider
6.Athukraz
7.Ross C
8.laracroftonline
9.Kivlov
10.CroftManiac05
11.Tomb Raidering
12.dcw123
13.RAID
14.larafan25
15.klona
16.Nigel Cassidy
17.Alterjano
18.Kubsy
19.LaraFan08
20.trfansince96
21.Daft Raider
22.Tombraider95
23.Ivy Valentine
24.amiro1989
25.JsotoTRSaga
26.TR1249
27.HarleyCroft
28.kimiawn
29.VictorXD
30.Matie
31.GRiannisRaider
32.Amunet
33.andre_costa
34.Samz
35.Error96
36.thabani33
37.Shirley_Manson
38.paulojr_mam
39.Aerie
40.Delamo1999
41.Gemma Darkmoon
42.PinkyPromise
43.Brendanlovesu1
44.**LARA LOVER**
45.heyitsalexxd
46.tombraider4ever
47.veigafd
48.BlueCake
49.laratombgirl
50.noonbob
51.SpaceChild
52.dylan_croft
53.trfan16
54.AshesBorn
55.Artifact
56.EchoTR
57.Eldart
58.Yeauxleaux
59.Cezar
60.Persefone
61.ActuallyArlow
62.TRBeth
63.ANoDE
64.New Dwight
65.dg1995
66.ersel
67.SpyrosMonster
68.Shauni0
69.Zolee
70.E.Carnby
71.EscondeR
72.Leon2703
73.Marina_KFP
74.Red Master FFX
75.SamusSeeker
76.JayB_1988
77.Isidor90
78.GFY2013
79.MrBrown1602
80.Tancha
81.ccroft2003
82.SeanCordernay
83.Nerdy
84.Sarah7777
85.Avalon SARL
86.Lara_C
87.jhons0529
88.plastiboi
89.Jamise_Croft
90.fortezza
91.Petite
92.isanvel
93.Raider8
94.josh2l
95.Kidd Bowyer
96.Evan C.
97.FanosCroft
98.suli
99.TRJTA
100.kimonap
101.bublehed
102.TombRager
103.MuruCoder
104.UroshUchiha
105.Chamayoo
106.Sjun
107.WhiteTiger
108.NYCL@R@

Last edited by GabrielCroft; 17-06-20 at 18:01.
GabrielCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 01:47   #2
Legends

Signed. Bring Back Classic Lara!

Last edited by Legends; 21-01-20 at 15:51.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 01:58   #3
Costel

You will need more than just people on this forum. Maybe you should learn and create a real online petition if you want to have more chances than this.
But I am going to help a bit. And while I dont want a full return of classic Lara I actually want dual pistols and shorts back.
Bring back dual pistols and shorts.
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 02:02   #4
charmedangelin

Signed

#Team Classic We want our classic Lara Croft back!

#Team GOLD Give Our Lara Duals

Last edited by charmedangelin; 06-01-20 at 02:11.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 02:03   #5
GabrielCroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
You will need more than just people on this forum. Maybe you should learn and create a real online petition if you want to have more chances than this.
But I am going to help a bit. And while I dont want a full return of classic Lara I actually want dual pistols and shorts back.
Bring back dual pistols and shorts.
I already spoke with a admin in this forum and I was told that online petitions are prohibited here, so we're doing what we can with a thread.

It's ok if you don't want a full classic Lara return though, you still want some elements so it helps a lot, of course
Old 06-01-20, 02:04   #6
Lara_Fan1

She isn’t coming back. They’re not going to spend years re-creating Lara as a character to then transform her back to how she originally was. Sure, I wouldn’t mind some traits coming back or them looking back and using certain things as inspiration moving forward. If anything was to come back I’d prefer her backpack but other than that nothing else really bothers me.

Classic Croft will always have a special place in my heart, as I, like so many others, have grew up with her. She was my first Lara but times change.

I hope this petition does, something, I don’t know what but I honestly wouldn’t get your hopes up too much.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 02:05   #7
charmedangelin

We can organize another petition for Reddit and maybe another one for Twitter as there are a lot of fans on Twitter as well. We have to get the word to spread.

Edit

we should sign in red so we know which posts are signatures.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 06-01-20 at 02:11.
Old 06-01-20, 02:10   #8
GabrielCroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
She isn’t coming back. They’re not going to spend years re-creating Lara as a character to then transform her back to how she originally was. Sure, I wouldn’t mind some traits coming back or them looking back and using certain things as inspiration moving forward. If anything was to come back I’d prefer her backpack but other than that nothing else really bothers me.

Classic Croft will always have a special place in my heart, as I, like so many others, have grew up with her. She was my first Lara but times change.

I hope this petition does, something, I don’t know what but I honestly wouldn’t get your hopes up too much.
Being hopeful it's what make some things happen, right? And some dreams come true because hope is one thing that move us to work to achieve them. Well, if at least some elements like the duals and some traits of her personality come back, I will be satisfied. At least some elements. So it would be a victory already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
We can organize another petition for Reddit and maybe another one for Twitter as there are a lot of fans on Twitter as well. We have to get the word to spread.
Can you help us with that? It would be great.
Old 06-01-20, 02:12   #9
AdrielRaider

Signed

Please bring the classic Lara back! I guess he already did the petition... i guess there are rules about not sharing external links here. Anyway, i will sign any petition to help you. I really miss the classic lara especially the dual pistols and backpack.

#TeamClassicLara

Last edited by AdrielRaider; 06-01-20 at 21:42.
AdrielRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 02:12   #10
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielCroft View Post
Can you help us with that? It would be great.
Sure thing