www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider 25

Old 13-04-21, 17:05   #151
[Xmas]
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
It wouldn't be that simple. People like to forget that TR2 also has many other types of enemies other than humans with guns. Tigers, spiders, rats, crows, barracudas, leopards, dogs, eagles, eels, t-rex, scuba divers, sharks, yetis, Xian warriors, floating sword guys and a dragon. Also the 2 vehicles need to be added.
True. Although, couldn't the same be said for Rise, and to a certain degree, Shadow as well? Over the course of the three games they've reintroduced all sorts of wild animals (wolves, bears, various big cats) and Rise even had the Deathless warriors in the latter portion of the game which reminded me of the Xian warriors a lot (TR2013 had the undead Stormguards as well). The only thing the Survivor trilogy didn't develop (enough) was underwater exploration, but Shadow has, by far, the most swimming out of the three games. Also, let's not forget Crystal had already realized the underwater concept in Underworld which featured two gigantic underwater-based levels, and also had spiders as enemies (similarly to TR2). Seeing how they used Underworld as a starting point for TR2013 before they updated the engine and switched up the game mechanics, I don't see any big obstacles here. In fact, remaking TR2 would finally give them the opportunity to combine all of the assets they've built over the years to create the 'definitive' Tomb Raider experience (and we all know how much they love that word lol).

Honestly, most of the stuff you mentioned they've either already created at some point, or they'd include it eventually. It's just natural progression based on the precedent set by the Survivor trilogy during which they brought back sprint and swimming in Rise, and then (smaller) underwater sections, more platforming, and more TR-ish environments in Shadow. If there was a fourth Survivor game, I'm nearly 99% certain vehicles would make a return.

Last edited by [Xmas]; 13-04-21 at 17:21. Reason: Typos
[Xmas] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-21, 17:13   #152
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

TR2 has more enemy types than the Reboot Trilogy combined (thought I know we all fight them the same way or almost) but I really agree about your post.

I would love the next game, remake or not, to add vehicles, globetrotting and inventory system at least. With of course new mechanics and modern enhancements.
... Basically ! I have other specific demands of course, like all of us.
Old 13-04-21, 17:28   #153
[Xmas]
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
TR2 has more enemy types than the Reboot Trilogy combined (thought I know we all fight them the same way or almost) but I really agree about your post.
Oh absolutely. I mean, I think it says a lot when most of the enemies I remember from the reboots are the endless swarms of mercenaries. Whereas with TR2, there was a nice balance and diversity in spite of humans making up a large portion of the baddies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
I would love the next game, remake or not, to add vehicles, globetrotting and inventory system at least. With of course new mechanics and modern enhancements.
YASSS to all of these. The inventory *must* return. Come on, this is essential. Like, let's not even speculate here. It's coming back. Vehicles too, as long as they're not turned into extra mini-game type of levels like what they did in Legend, or they're incredibly clunky and annoying like the motorbike in Underworld.

i'd love for them to explore the concept of globetrotting introduced in TR3 where the player decides what locations Lara visits next and in what order. That, in itself, affects gameplay and requires strategy and the concept of alternative events and possibly endings is one I've always wanted TR to explore more.
[Xmas] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-21, 17:44   #154
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Xmas] View Post
Oh absolutely. I mean, I think it says a lot when most of the enemies I remember from the reboots are the endless swarms of mercenaries. Whereas with TR2, there was a nice balance and diversity in spite of humans making up a large portion of the baddies.

YASSS to all of these. The inventory *must* return. Come on, this is essential. Like, let's not even speculate here. It's coming back. Vehicles too, as long as they're not turned into extra mini-game type of levels like what they did in Legend, or they're incredibly clunky and annoying like the motorbike in Underworld.

i'd love for them to explore the concept of globetrotting introduced in TR3 where the player decides what locations Lara visits next and in what order. That, in itself, affects gameplay and requires strategy and the concept of alternative events and possibly endings is one I've always wanted TR to explore more.
The inventory system was always something I wanted them to get into, but I wasn't sure they will go back to that mechanic. Now after the success of Resident Evil 2 remake which heavily rely on this system, I hope that it would convinced them to go that route as well next time.
I bet the globetrotting will come back, after three games on basically one location, I think they will be more inclined to this now.
Funny you mentioned this TR3 concept because I think it would be interesting to go back to the "non-linear" progression. Not only countries in the order you want, but could be missions or tombs you could complete in different order. Especially if they'll keep the hub system, it's the natural evolution for me. Replayability as its best.

For vehicles, I would love at least two different types, why not motorcycle/squad and motorboat. Ok three different types would be more than perfect I admit.
Not only use them to navigate faster in your environment, but make them useful to reach a place (like the classics) with jumps, or puzzles (why not, TRU did that once). Go full like LC Relic Run with actual controls, especially the feature to slide under obstacles.
Ok I know, this last paragraph is more like my fantasy instead of thoughtful ideas.
Old 13-04-21, 18:08   #155
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

The problem with TR2013 and Rise wasn't the amount of individual combat encounters but the number of enemy per encounter. The solution for that in Shadow was to have less combat encounters overall but IMO that's really not the way to go! There's no tension and sense of danger when there's more than an hour of gameplay without a single enemy showing up, be it animals, humans or supernatural entities. Have about as many combat encounters as in Rise, but less enemies in each encounter. That would require a reworking of the combat mechanics, though, since single (human) enemies in the reboot games are extremely weak and their strength is in numbers. Of course, just replacing humans with animals also wouldn't work great since the animal enemies in the reboot games are pretty fast and Lara can only move really slowly while aiming. So they should replace the current mechanics with one where Lara can move fast while shooting.