Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 06-02-09, 00:23   #1
Los Angeles
Inactive

Default I don't get it anymore...

Ok, the old games: Story was easy to understand, I know why Lara went there and there...

Ok, now: What the hell? Can somebody explain me why Lara visits all these places? Why the heck are there so strange names in the story like Niflheim, Helheim and stuff and how are these connected? What about Avalon?
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 00:32   #2
Rivendell

Niflheim and Helheim are two of the Norse 'underworlds' that Lara visits in an attempt to discover her mother, and what happened to her.

Avalon - depending on whether or not you decide to believe Natla, is just another name for Helheim.
Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 00:35   #3
Los Angeles
Inactive

How are they connected with her mother?

And why is Natla in Underworld?

EDIT: I think that's why I don't like today's games. I'm too dumb to understand them. And Lara's voice is so freakin' quiet!!!

Last edited by Los Angeles; 06-02-09 at 00:39.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 00:40   #4
Rivendell

Did you skip the cutscenes or something?

In legend Amelia (that's Lara's mother) was teleported through a dias. At the end of the game, Amanda told Lara that Lara's mother had gone to Avalon.

In TR:U we learn that Amanda had found Natla in the wreckage of the Pyramid of Atlantis, dug her out and kept her prisoner. It was Natla who told Amanda about Avalon and how to get there.

Natla's part in TR:U is primarily to get Lara and Amanda to do all the work for her in getting Thor's Hammer - the key to Avalon (aka Helheim).
Natla wanted to go to Avalon because she knew it housed the Jormungandr Device, which when active would cause global cataclysms - starting the prophecised Norse Ragnarok and Natla's "Seventh Age".
Old 06-02-09, 00:45   #5
Squibbly

Lara's reason for visiting each area is told to us in cutscenes, and the places she visits and the things she sees are explained in the journal. The "strange names" are actual names in Norse mythology.

Helheim is related to Lara's mother because that's where the stone dias in Nepal (from Legend) was set to go, and according to Natla, the mythical underworlds are all the same, they just have different names.

Natla is in Underworld because Amanda needed her. Amanda wanted to get to "Avalon", but Lara ruined her chance in doing so. Amanda I suppose did some research and found out about Helheim, and knew it was another way to get to the paradise she believed existed, but she would need the power of Thor's Hammer and Odin's ritual to enter. She knew of Natla, dug her up, and held her in captivity so she could use her to get into Helheim (Natla knew Odin's ritual). Of course, Natla had plans of her own and knew that Lara and Amanda would do all of the work for - she could have easily escaped that giant specimen jar if she wanted to. Natla also needed Thor's Hammer, but cannot touch it, as it is the one thing that will destroy her.

By the way, I think the new games explain more as to what's going on compared to the old games. I mean, you just randomly appeared in certain parts of the world without any indication of why you're there. Example: TR2, you just appear in China. TR3, you just appear in India. I love the old games, but half the time it's like "okay, why am I here...?"

You're not dumb, you just need to pay more attention and then you'd understand.

Last edited by Squibbly; 06-02-09 at 00:53.
Squibbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 00:47   #6
Rivendell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibbly View Post
Amanda I suppose did some research found out about Helheim, and knew it was another way to get to the paradise she believed existed, but she would need the power of Thor's Hammer and Odin's ritual to enter. She knew of Natla, dug her up, and held her in captivity so she could use her to get into Helheim.
I think TR:U said it happened the other way around.
"It was you who told Amanda about Avalon!"

Hence the Natla crates in legend, and Amanda knowing about Avalon in legend - she already had Natla, who told her about Avalon.
Old 06-02-09, 01:08   #7
Squibbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivendell View Post
I think TR:U said it happened the other way around.
"It was you who told Amanda about Avalon!"

Hence the Natla crates in legend, and Amanda knowing about Avalon in legend - she already had Natla, who told her about Avalon.
Oh yeah! My mistake. I forgot about that part. So just reverse the stuff I said.
Old 06-02-09, 01:16   #8
God Horus

It's so confusing because they decided to "merge" civilizations. They turned the whole mythical resting place of King Arthur (Avalon) and said it was just Helheim all along...
God Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 01:21   #9
Squibbly

What I gathered was that all civilizations had their own interpretations of underworlds or paradises, but they were all actually the same place. I suppose it can be compared to how some people believe there is only one God, even though there are so many interpretations of God (Christianity's God, Buddha, Shiva, and Allah for example).

Or maybe each dias is set to go to specific places, and the one Amelia went through was just set to go to Helheim and Natla knew that.
Old 06-02-09, 01:56   #10
aussie500
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibbly View Post
What I gathered was that all civilizations had their own interpretations of underworlds or paradises, but they were all actually the same place. I suppose it can be compared to how some people believe there is only one God, even though there are so many interpretations of God (Christianity's God, Buddha, Shiva, and Allah for example).

Or maybe each dias is set to go to specific places, and the one Amelia went through was just set to go to Helheim and Natla knew that.
But that's the thing, Amelia did not use the default settings for the dais since 2 of the columns had been touched. Lara used the same altered settings in Bolivia, so Amelia probably never went where Amanda would have gone. Natla never saw the settings, Amanda never really had much of a chance since she was unconscious when Lara set the dais, and a bit distracted afterwards. How exactly does almost everyone but Lara know where Amelia went? How did Lara's father know where Amelia went, its not like anyone could have got in to Helheim between Amelia vanishing and Lara opening the door. No one alive could have seen Amelia there and returned. Richard might have used another artifact of the ancients to find out where she went, such as Odin's eye, but how did Natla know about Amelia? If part of Amelia did indeed go to Avalon to paradise as it once was long ago, and her body went to Helheim as Avalon might have been known as once it became protected by the dead it would explain how Natla and Richard might have found out what happened, since it would have been part of ancient history.

Natla described the dais as "a travel network of sorts", so what else does it do besides transport you from one place to another in the normal sense of the word.

Last edited by aussie500; 06-02-09 at 01:58.
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote