www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 02-03-21, 04:18   #1
AntmanG08
Hobbyist

Default Cant change game versions

Hello, i am trying to make a level for TR3 but when i change the game version and use the TR3 wads it never starts. Could somebody help?
AntmanG08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 05:04   #2
adngel
Student

What does it fail to start? Is the project or the game per se?.

When I tried what I did was:

- Create a new project with TombID, using TR3 engine indication. (So the editor won't show me some only TR4 features)

- I opened the project folder, and went to the "Engine" folder, there were some TR4 files, but they are needed there. (TombIDE search for this files to open the project). What I could do was to copy a TR3 demo files in there too.

If you haven't got a demo file, you can download a TR3 playable level from the TRLE.net and paste and use it as a base. So just paste the folder inside.

- Then in the TombEditor, you have to config in Level Settings, change the testing executable from TR4 to the TR3 that you've got there, and your .tr2 to be save in the data folder that is in the TR3 demo.

After that, when Tomb Editor press the Testing button, it should open the TR3 game menu where you can choose to play your game.

I had a problem through, everytime it opens, it opened me the Setup choices to set the resolution and such, not a big deal, but I didn't know how to remove that. O_
Old 02-03-21, 05:15   #3
AntmanG08
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by adngel View Post
What does it fail to start? Is the project or the game per se?.

When I tried what I did was:

- Create a new project with TombID, using TR3 engine indication. (So the editor won't show me some only TR4 features)

- I opened the project folder, and went to the "Engine" folder, there were some TR4 files, but they are needed there. (TombIDE search for this files to open the project). What I could do was to copy a TR3 demo files in there too.

If you haven't got a demo file, you can download a TR3 playable level from the TRLE.net and paste and use it as a base. So just paste the folder inside.

- Then in the TombEditor, you have to config in Level Settings, change the testing executable from TR4 to the TR3 that you've got there, and your .tr2 to be save in the data folder that is in the TR3 demo.

After that, when Tomb Editor press the Testing button, it should open the TR3 game menu where you can choose to play your game.

I had a problem through, everytime it opens, it opened me the Setup choices to set the resolution and such, not a big deal, but I didn't know how to remove that. O_
The thing is that TR3 does not appear in TombIDE only in the level settings for the which game version to target. Is there anything i have to download to get TR3 to show on TombIDE? or something like that?
Old 02-03-21, 05:48   #4
adngel
Student

In Tomb Editor, Level Settings, there is an option called:

"Game Version to target:"

The first one in the "Game" area. The TR3 and others should be there.

Image- https://i.imgur.com/Q8Lu2rO.jpg
Old 02-03-21, 06:19   #5
AntmanG08
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by adngel View Post
In Tomb Editor, Level Settings, there is an option called:

"Game Version to target:"

The first one in the "Game" area. The TR3 and others should be there.

Image- https://i.imgur.com/Q8Lu2rO.jpg
I did everything but whenever i try to load the game it crashes. what should i do now?
Old 02-03-21, 06:27   #6
TR-Freak
Relic Hunter

Make sure you have a Lara placed in your level and that you don't possibly have too many sounds activated in your sound infos and not too many items in your level.
Old 02-03-21, 11:14   #7
PedroTheGamer
Explorer

Convert your level only in the "build" if any yellow box appears in the middle of the conversion, take a screnshots and put here in the forum to know what and the problem.
Old 02-03-21, 13:29   #8
AntmanG08
Hobbyist

i tried all of these and it still crashes
Old 02-03-21, 13:40   #9
adngel
Student

What could be?

So to discard some errors:

- If you remove your level from the data folder, and replace the original jungle.tr2, does it still crash?

* Yes it still crashes: It may be the exe is not finding the data correctly.
* No it does not crashes: If I put the original level, it works. So the problem is in your level, not the setup.

- Has the level file the same name than the level replacing?
* No -> change it to jungle.tr2

Have you tried make an empty level only with any of the original TR3 wads?
(Ensure your level has sprites, if they are missing, the game crashes when the level starts)
Old 02-03-21, 18:53   #10
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntmanG08 View Post
use the TR3 wads it never starts.
"TR3" wads published on certain TRLE website? If you are using those, it will never work, because those "TR3" wads are not actually TR3 wads, but TR3 objects converted to TR4 wad format.

How to check? Go to Level Settings -> Wads and see if your wad has a warning saying Game version mismatch. If it does - your wad is not TR3 wad (and actually there were never TR3 wads available).

How to fix? Use retail TR3 levels. Also, TIDE supports only TRNG game version. You can't use it with other engines for now, but probably it will happen in next versions.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote