www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-03-21, 12:51   #1
ilariacroft
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 70
Default Vertical cog trap

Hello, I placed a vertical cog trap on the ceiling, but when it reaches the floor, it continues to go down disappearing under the floor. How many squares does the cog trap move? Is there a way to stop it when it reaches the floor?
ilariacroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-21, 16:05   #2
AkyV
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hungary
Posts: 4,299
Default

You mean SLICER_DICER?
See the good old settomb.prj of TRLE for the reference sizes.
AkyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-21, 14:23   #3
ilariacroft
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkyV View Post
You mean SLICER_DICER?
See the good old settomb.prj of TRLE for the reference sizes.
No, I mean this trap with the spikes that comes down from the ceiling. I do not understand how much it moves.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11kI...9BTtgs8Aw/view

Last edited by ilariacroft; 11-03-21 at 14:24.
ilariacroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-21, 17:02   #4
Mulf
Archaeologist
 
Mulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 1,241
Default

That's what's usually called the vertical spikewall (as opposed to the regular spikewall, which moves horizontally). The spikewall is not a native TR4 trap (it's originally from TR2). "Cog" is the name of the slot it has been adapted to; it takes its name from a TR4 trap which, indeed, looks somewhat like a cog. In order to avoid confusion, you should call the trap you're using a spikewall. Like AkyV, I had no idea what you were talking about at first, since there's no such thing as a descending cog in TR4.

With that out of the way, here's what you need to do. In order to make the spikewall stop, you must use an antitrigger. My preferred way of doing that is the so-called rollingball trick: you build a separate room with a slope for a rollingball which you trigger alongside the spikewall. Somewhere on that slope you place a heavyantitrigger for the spikewall. When the rollingball hits the heavyantitrigger, the spikewall stops. It takes a bit of experimentation to get it just right. (Alternatively, you could use an Organizer if you know your way around TRNG scripting.)

P. S.: I'm glad you asked. Far too many builder take the easy way out and simply allow their spikewall to vanish into solid walls. Sometimes you can hear them rumble along later elsewhere in the level. The fact that you asked at all gives me hope.

Last edited by Mulf; 11-03-21 at 17:05.
Mulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 15:41   #5
ilariacroft
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
That's what's usually called the vertical spikewall (as opposed to the regular spikewall, which moves horizontally). The spikewall is not a native TR4 trap (it's originally from TR2). "Cog" is the name of the slot it has been adapted to; it takes its name from a TR4 trap which, indeed, looks somewhat like a cog. In order to avoid confusion, you should call the trap you're using a spikewall. Like AkyV, I had no idea what you were talking about at first, since there's no such thing as a descending cog in TR4.
Sorry! I am Italian and my English is not very good, so I didnít know how to call that kind of trap

Quote:
With that out of the way, here's what you need to do. In order to make the spikewall stop, you must use an antitrigger. My preferred way of doing that is the so-called rollingball trick: you build a separate room with a slope for a rollingball which you trigger alongside the spikewall. Somewhere on that slope you place a heavyantitrigger for the spikewall. When the rollingball hits the heavyantitrigger, the spikewall stops. It takes a bit of experimentation to get it just right. (Alternatively, you could use an Organizer if you know your way around TRNG scripting.)
Good idea! I will try this trick! Thank you!

Quote:
P. S.: I'm glad you asked. Far too many builder take the easy way out and simply allow their spikewall to vanish into solid walls. Sometimes you can hear them rumble along later elsewhere in the level. The fact that you asked at all gives me hope.
Iím a little fussy and I really donít like the trap disappearing under the floor!
ilariacroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 16:34   #6
Mulf
Archaeologist
 
Mulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 1,241
Default

The rollingball trick comes in handy in a number of situations. Sometimes all the latest tweakings of the TR4 engine can't replace it.

Fussy is good. Keep up the good work.
Mulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-21, 09:45   #7
ilariacroft
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulf View Post
The rollingball trick comes in handy in a number of situations. Sometimes all the latest tweakings of the TR4 engine can't replace it.

Fussy is good. Keep up the good work.
I tried the rollingball trick setting ocb 1 and it works, thank you!
ilariacroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 00:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.