www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 05-04-21, 00:22   #1
HaniHeger
Historian

Default WADTool Won't Load My OBJ. Files

I already went to two(1/2) general threads for this, but I think it's better for it to have its own, since it is still unresolved, and is related to more than just wadtool.

So a while ago I tried to load a obj file in WadTool and this error appeared to me, even though I did have everything in order, and that these obj. files loaded on other people's computers...

There is still no fix to it, but I noticed than in WadTool, when I export something in obj. and then import it on another slot, it doesn't work, but in mqo, it does. But now for some reason when I import the cat statue in blender and then export it as a mqo file it doesn't work on strpix or wadtool, strpix got this warning too

So maybe I'm doing something wrong, but if I do the same thing in metasequoia, opening it as its original obj file and then exporting as mqo, it works on Strpix, but since it comes without it's textures, not on anywhere else.
Also, whatever doesn't works on wadtool won't work on strpix too, but in strpix the error is this one:

So yeah I think this is all, I just wanted to do some cool stuff with blender and wadtool
HaniHeger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 04:07   #2
Richard_trle
Explorer

Hani, someone mentioned before, maybe it is related to assimp. Check if the assimp library is installed in your machine. If not, maybe try downloading and registering it.

Try this one and see if it works.

https://github.com/assimp/assimp/rel...tup_vs2017.exe
Richard_trle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 07:01   #3
TR-Freak
Relic Hunter

Can you send the obj file?
Old 05-04-21, 10:19   #4
sapper
Archaeologist

The obj that you export from wadtool, open in a text editor and study it.

Do the same for the mqo exported from Blender.
Old 05-04-21, 12:31   #5
HaniHeger
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_trle View Post
Hani, someone mentioned before, maybe it is related to assimp. Check if the assimp library is installed in your machine. If not, maybe try downloading and registering it.

Try this one and see if it works.

https://github.com/assimp/assimp/rel...tup_vs2017.exe
After finishing the installment there was this note:
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Asset Import Library (Assimp) SDK Installer
Release Notes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://assimp.sf.net

Troubleshooting
===============

1. Missing d3dx9_(some-number).dll? 
Install the latest DirectX runtime or grab the file from somewhere (that's evil but mostly fine).

2. Application configuration not correct / missing msvcr***.dll?
Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable (x86 or x64, depending on your system)

3. assimp.exe not in PATH
Add it to PATH. That's not a bug, the installer does not alter the PATH.

4. Crashes immediately
You CPU lacks SSE2 support. Build Assimp from scratch to suit your CPU, sorry.
I did 1. and 2. the rest I don't know what to do with it, also I uninstalled all Microsoft Visual C++ 2xxx and have now only 2005 and 2015-2019, you know maybe I shouldn't have done that, I had a lot of stuff, but anyway no change in importing the cat statue in wadtool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
Can you send the obj file?
Well I don't know which so.. I got you the two cat in mqo in this file
The file that I exported and imported both in wad tool (as mqo.) and that worked, aren't working any more? I have one that is loading just like before, but when I move it (didn't forget the texture file) it stopped working. Hope that it isn't related to me deleting some Microsoft Visual C++ stuff.. (actually i think it's because my anti-virus had messed with tomb editor when I updated it to 1.3.12, works noww)
Also should I mess with this when exporting in blender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
The obj that you export from wadtool, open in a text editor and study it.
Do the same for the mqo exported from Blender.
What type can you give me that opens both obj and mqo? I literally searched "text editor" and I found one that only worked in obj, pretty cool tho.

Last edited by HaniHeger; 05-04-21 at 13:04.
Old 05-04-21, 17:01   #6
Bergus
Hobbyist

I see that the file is saved in the "Área de Trabalho" directory. Try moving it into another directory without spaces, such as C:. Sometimes spaces in file paths give troubles.

In the export panel I guess that "Material" is the default cube material and Dot Stroke is something else related to Blender internals. I would try unchecking those ones and just leave WAD Material checked.
Bergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 04:08   #7
sapper
Archaeologist

Any text editor should work. Notepad.
Just have to select any file in open file dialog drop down.
Old 06-04-21, 08:05   #8
TR-Freak
Relic Hunter

You only uploaded the Logs, which don't tell anything meaningful.

Send the obj file(s) so we can inspect them
Old 06-04-21, 09:27   #9
Lwmte
Archaeologist

From what I understand, .obj files are okay. It's assimp which refuses to work on both WT and strpix and causes internal exception. It may be related to lack of MS VC libs, but Hani said she has it installed, so the problem may be somewhere else.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 06:25   #10
HaniHeger
Historian

Uuhh guys so.. It works now???

I think the reason is because I,on Richard's advice, completely deleted Tomb Editor from my computer, and then installed it again. And just like I had problems with mqo above when updating to 1.3.12, I must've had in the past too related to obj! And with problems I mean my nasty anti-virus that deletes stuff even when I say that C:/tomb editor is an exception , and then I would take 'em back or add it again.. Well I do a mess. I'll stick with just the installer from now on, instead of zip files.

Something else that I did was, after uninstalling all Microsoft visual c+ stuff I had, I only downloaded 2005 and 2015-2019, but I wanted to have them all, so I downloaded this guy.

In my first try the cat object was in C:/, and I thought that was what made it work too, but it worked just the same in my downloads folder.

Just tested and the object still doesn't work on strpix tho? Same error as before. (edit: my ver before was rev17 now updated to rev18s seems to work)

Well now that we are past that... What a relief... It seems like the normals are inverted? I can only see the textures from "inside"? (Edit: figured it out! Didn't see the "invert faces" thang down there before...)
-
Trying now with my edits from blender, It works only when the path is straight C:/ which can make progress a little more slow since blender won't save those files in there, doesn't seem to have permission. So I need to save in like my desktop and then move it. Those objects seem to have inverted normals too(edit: again, fixed), but I wouldn't think that it's blender since I didn't touch the cat obj. Inverting V coordinate switches the UV texture position, meaning black, or a mess.

Oh and on the import settings, what settings are recommended? Like in scale for example, 512 seems to work but is it exactly the scale that the WAD add-on from blender does? Would be important if I edit an outfit, I suppose.

Last edited by HaniHeger; 07-04-21 at 08:30.