www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 16-04-21, 19:43   #1
Nerdy
Historian

Default This community is not so bad

I was like dayummm.... When I visited these forums and read the debates/discussion. Saw how passionate and sensitive people can be on this place..

But after seeing the comment section under one of Guerilla Games post on Insta. I was like nope..... tombraiderforums is super mature compared to this.

It was about an Aloy skin from Fortnite......

Just my compliments to these forums.

Last edited by Nerdy; 16-04-21 at 19:48.
Nerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-21, 21:04   #2
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

I think it gets a bad rap too.

Yeah ok, you might think people nitpicking about Lara Croft's hair and general appearance all day is petty and boring, and the perpetual classic stans vs Reboot stans catfights also get annoying, but we're still nowhere near as toxic as other fanbases on average.

There are gamers in other fanbases who will straight-up dox and send death threats to other fans over petty disagreements, and will also do the same thing to the game developers who work on the games they play. Even with the most extreme members of this forum I've never seen anything close to that level of toxicity.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-21, 15:26   #3
Cat Woman
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post

There are gamers in other fanbases who will straight-up dox and send death threats to other fans over petty disagreements, and will also do the same thing to the game developers who work on the games they play. Even with the most extreme members of this forum I've never seen anything close to that level of toxicity.
I personally cannot fathom this happening with gamers. You can definitely have your opinions, but to take it this far. But, on a side note - look at all the riots happening that solve nothing but destroy property and lives.
Old 17-04-21, 15:33   #4
killchan
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy View Post
But after seeing the comment section under one of Guerilla Games post on Insta. I was like nope..... tombraiderforums is super mature compared to this.

It was about an Aloy skin from Fortnite......
just curious: were those complaints more about the existance of the crossover, or rather about the appearance?
Old 17-04-21, 15:43   #5
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

I think itís common to find people who like anything online to be super crazy and militant. Itís not just TR. Itís Beyoncť. Itís Ironman. Itís Marvel. Itís Justin Bieber. Itís The Last of Us. Itís anything you can think of that people will feel passionately and strongly about.

Couple that with the internet and how people read things with a in mind and not a .

Every fan base is gonna have their issues. TRF isnít as toxic and awful as people would think it is or hear it is. Consider the source sometimes Sometimes itís the people who claim to be the holiest really arenít in position to judge.
Old 17-04-21, 17:11   #6
Koper
Hobbyist

The "only" problem I have here is that I can not find the time to read everything and get lost sometimes. This community is really active!
Old 17-04-21, 18:07   #7
trfan16
Archaeologist

I didn't realize this forum had such a bad reputation? I'm guessing this is a social media thing? I never really considered this forum to be toxic. There was heightened drama around Shadow's release, but that's expected for any newly released game in a long-running series. I think the discussions here about the Classic games in particular is the most interesting to me. Admittedly, there were some people here who would ial the drama up to 11. But it's been rather calm since all the Shadow hype died down. This fanbase is nowhere near as toxic as other gaming franchise... Resident Evil, Pokemon, and Zelda are way worse than this one.

Last edited by trfan16; 17-04-21 at 18:17.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-21, 18:56   #8
tomblover
Legend

I think an advantage of the TR community, in general, is that we're probably older than other fanbases, on average. Like, physically older.

It's not like the Fortnite-TR crossover was received very warmly here, but most of us are in our mid-20s to early 30s. We're inevitably going to express our discontent with less childish fervor than a fanbase that consists mostly of teens.

(what with Horizon being a much, much younger franchise)

Well, most of us, anyway! The crossover we got, absolutely did spell the end of the franchise, if you ask the right person.

Last edited by tomblover; 17-04-21 at 18:58.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-21, 21:59   #9
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
Even with the most extreme members of this forum I've never seen anything close to that level of toxicity.
I disagree with this. There were and are some pretty nasty beings on TRF too.
I still recall racist slurs, or telling the community manager to do her job better, instead of focusing on her dog who was fighting cancer, if I recall.

The point is, TRF is badly viewed by its own members, while we are no different than any other fandom. If there's something we're doing better, is that we have an admin and mods who are not some powerhungry idiots and having strict rules. Otherwise this place would go down faster than saying 'miss thang'.

Last edited by Zsott; 17-04-21 at 22:00. Reason: typo
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-21, 23:15   #10
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
I think it gets a bad rap too.

Yeah ok, you might think people nitpicking about Lara Croft's hair and general appearance all day is petty and boring, and the perpetual classic stans vs Reboot stans catfights also get annoying, but we're still nowhere near as toxic as other fanbases on average.

Not just other fans but the companies themselves too. I remember when Konami were remastering silent hill 2 and 3 years ago and their fans were so annoyed with the change in VAs they actively boycotted the promo and sales of the collection. They also acted really poorly toward the games having, admittedly severe, issues such as no fog but we are talking about a studio who didn't do the original and were making the game with missing code. Its honestly no wonder Konami never bothered with the series much in recent years. TR fans might seem like nitpickers but they're not that bad.