www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 27-05-19, 03:13   #21
scremanie
Tomb Raider

I mean, if you watched some of your closest friends and a bunch of people get murdered around you after getting stuck on an island with psychopathic cultists sacrificing women to a mythical sun queen, knowing the whole time that it was your idea to go to the island in the first place, you’d be pretty ****ed up as well. The tone they set for the game was achieved, yet people still complain that Lara was too this and too that. First she was too whiny, then she was too serious, then she was too awkward.

I agree with Seth that they should follow a similar path to Indiana Jones and/or PoP Warrior Within. Indiana Jones nails the gritty kind of horror elements, but with that good ol’ classic adventure vibe to it. Very similar to the classic TR’s, in my opinion. I always found TR1-TR3 rather gritty with a horror vibe to it, yet it still had “Hollywood” adventure vibe to it.

Last edited by scremanie; 27-05-19 at 03:17.
scremanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-19, 03:44   #22
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alterjano View Post
Melonie, I feel exactly the same way too. I just want to see some of that spunk in Lara's persona and for her to be a force of nature. After all, she is a legend and a gaming icon. I don't want CD to continue to remove all of the vivaciousness out of her personality. No more Rambo Raider or Katniss Raider. Let her be free, adventurous and charming in the sequel. Oh and give her, the dual pistols too.
Exactly my opinion as well.

We should get the Dual Pistols in the next game by default, I am sick of the single handgun.
Old 27-05-19, 05:54   #23
RAID
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
Yes PLEASE! Just focus on the mythology as the story and Lara being a badass loner playing for sport. No more Lara and pals drama, it's ridiculous.
Someone give this woman a medal

I want her to play for sports. No more father was this and father was that BS.
Old 27-05-19, 08:03   #24
Aikon
Explorer

I agree. Dramatic stuff has been there for way too long. And way more than needed.
I just hope they don't replace it with the Uncharted-style tone that is even more annoying to me.

Something similar to the first Assassin's Creed games would be cool.
Aikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-19, 11:53   #25
jackoimina
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
Yes PLEASE! Just focus on the mythology as the story and Lara being a badass loner playing for sport. No more Lara and pals drama, it's ridiculous.
Pretty much THIS.

Let the story revolve around actual myths and mysteries Lara is trying to decipher vs some other tomb raider who is trying to get to smth first probably for profit. It doesn't always have to be about the end of the world and saving everyone and everything from impending doom.

This is why I LOVE Lost Legacy, it's simply Chloe and her partner Nadine on a job trying to get to smth before the idiot who wants to sell it on a black market. Yes they added the bomb part at the end (and some daddy issues from TR book) but it wasnt too much and it wasnt about saving the whole world for once, it was again on a smaller scale but done perfectly well and the whole adventure is very satisfying, fun and interesting to play and replay.

If needed TR can get darker, if the story and mythology ask for it but so far Reboot was dark bc they wanted to be dark for the sake of being dark but they kept pulling back at the last minute (lara going badass and crazy at the oil fields and crying about it imediately after for example). That type of 'dark and gritty' has to go, either tell a proper high quality dark story or tell a proper archeological adventure story imo
Old 30-05-19, 18:55   #26
mandylane
Explorer

i suggest bigger tombs
mandylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-19, 20:03   #27
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

I respectfully disagree.

Yes, dump the melodrama, that's no wanted in any kind of storytelling.

But I want this game to retain it's grittiness. By that I mean an attempt to have some sort of "grounded-ness" to the world as opposed cartoony.

The problem for me is not the grittiness, it's the grittiness combined with Lara's noble-ness and yearning to do good plus the sentimentality that often slips in, emotional moments that feel unearned.....

For example, Jacob's admiration for Lara as one of the most special people he has ever met and consequently her sadness at his death, but they have literally known each other for 48 hours. And other instances of Lara's insta-buddying up with the local tribal people, Jacob's daughter in Rise and the Queen lady in Shadow for example..... they have this innate kinship / trust with Lara because ? they're both women ? they both have a bow ? they're both adventuring people ? They know each other for 2 seconds and suddenly have a trust and understanding that is (to me) cartoonish. That's not gritty, that's not realistic, it's young adult / children's storytelling where the hero is appreciated and recognised as heroic by the good people after the simplest of "tests" (if such a test exists at all).

Personally I don't mind if Lara is strong or weak provided her journey is plausible and we are taken along for the journey properly. A lot of the time I feel like I am watching unplausible things, which is a shame as I feel that they could with a few twists make everything much more gripping.

And......it's too late now because the character of reboot Lara is somewhat defined, but I do feel that they have placed upon her what I suspect is the morality of the developers themselves - middle class, educated people. That places an emphasis of being dutiful children who must work hard, study hard, who earn respect by achieving things through hard work rather than than take handouts from rich parents. And who must work to better the world by doing good, moral things.

And consequently a lot of the storytelling revolves around this.

It may be that this is a deliberate thing because they're aiming for a demographic but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a subconscious thing too.

So for me, I'd like the storytelling to be more realistic. More realistic than one where the forces of good v. the forces of bad fight the "it's-never-going-to-go-any-way-but-the-good-way" fight after a rushed 2 day struggle to save the world.

Let's have something genuinely epic. To have that we need a sense of unpredictableness to what is happening and characters and events happening realistically.

-------

And to balance the criticism I will say this - despite all this, there have been some good scenes and well written dialogue, and some good ideas in the reboots too. So definitely we shouldn't throw all of it out.

Also, this is a personal taste thing. There is nothing inherently wrong with having Lara be this force of goodness (I suppose ) but it's not for me.

Likewise, cartoonish storytelling...... but again, it's not for me.
Old 30-05-19, 20:09   #28
biscuits
Professor

I personally think that environmental storytelling is the solution. Sort of like SOMA or Shadow Of The Colossus. I'd like for them to ditch the cinematic style all together to be honest. It hindered them a LOT more than helping them.
Old 09-06-19, 06:37   #29
Alterjano
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikon View Post
I agree. Dramatic stuff has been there for way too long. And way more than needed.
I just hope they don't replace it with the Uncharted-style tone that is even more annoying to me.

Something similar to the first Assassin's Creed games would be cool.
I just don't want to see anything remotely like Last of Us, tone wise. I don't mind the tone in the Uncharted games, but I would prefer if we had a mix of levity and grit. If the story is sincere and compelling, it won't come across as cheesy if Lara did things, like covering a dark subject matter on her adventures with occasional witty commentary and humorous lines to underscore the ridiculous situations, that she finds herself in at times.
Alterjano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 07:21   #30
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I personally think that environmental storytelling is the solution. Sort of like SOMA or Shadow Of The Colossus. I'd like for them to ditch the cinematic style all together to be honest. It hindered them a LOT more than helping them.
I agree, it should be more environment based like Hollow Knight and Dark Souls. I mean the classic games always did focus on the environment in levels.