Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 03-11-22, 13:33   #1
Dennis's Mom

Default Cabinet of Curiosities (Netflix)

Guillermo del Toro's new series Cabinet of Curiosities is an anthology horror series.

He introduces each segment with vibes of the old Hitchcock show. Production quality is high, and perhaps most interesting is the willingness to do old school horror stories like HP Lovecraft.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 15:38   #2
Cat Woman

I watched all of them, but didn’t really like them.
Cat Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-22, 06:49   #3
ostercy

Not keen. Anthology series never really work for me.
ostercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-22, 09:10   #4
Amunet

I watched it and thought that overall it was a very uneven series. Loved a couple of episodes, hated a couple more but most of them I just found pretty meh...

To be fair though, I might have had my expectations way too high for this anthology and perhaps that played its role in my disappointment.

Best episode, in my opinion, was The Autopsy.

Here's my ranking of all the episodes: https://letterboxd.com/araphiel/list...sities/detail/

Last edited by Amunet; 14-11-22 at 13:13.
Amunet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-22, 22:54   #5
.snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
I watched it and thought that overall it was a very uneven series. Loved a couple of episodes, hated a couple more but most of them I just found pretty meh...

To be fair though, I might have had my expectations way too high for this anthology and perhaps that played its role in my disappointment.

Best episode, in my opinion, was The Autopsy.

Here's my ranking of all the episodes: https://letterboxd.com/araphiel/list...sities/detail/
I wanted to watch this simply because Dreams in the Witch House is my favorite Lovecraft story.

So by your rating here, would you say it's not worth it?
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-22, 23:50   #6
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
I wanted to watch this simply because Dreams in the Witch House is my favorite Lovecraft story.

So by your rating here, would you say it's not worth it?
I never read that Lovecraft story so I can't really comment on the episode's merits as an adaptation, but if I go by some of the reviews I've read, it seems this episode made some significant changes to the story.

As for whether it is worth watching, I think it depends on what type of horror you like, as each episode had a very different style, tackling different horror subgenres. For example the two episodes I disliked the most are some of other people's favourites.
Old 15-11-22, 01:24   #7
.snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
I never read that Lovecraft story so I can't really comment on the episode's merits as an adaptation, but if I go by some of the reviews I've read, it seems this episode made some significant changes to the story.

As for whether it is worth watching, I think it depends on what type of horror you like, as each episode had a very different style, tackling different horror subgenres. For example the two episodes I disliked the most are some of other people's favourites.
Thank you for that info!

I'm not usually a fan of Del Toro (although I enjoyed Devil's Backbone) and think that he tends to make his monsters and supernatural creatures look a bit too childish and cartoony. Which is why personally I'm happy he never made Lovecraft's "At the Mountain of Madness" because even though he likes Lovecraft I don't think he'd be able to capture that type of horror.

But I will check out Witch House eventually just out of interest if I ever get Netflix again (probably when the elusive TR anime comes out).
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-22, 09:35   #8
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
Thank you for that info!

I'm not usually a fan of Del Toro (although I enjoyed Devil's Backbone) and think that he tends to make his monsters and supernatural creatures look a bit too childish and cartoony. Which is why personally I'm happy he never made Lovecraft's "At the Mountain of Madness" because even though he likes Lovecraft I don't think he'd be able to capture that type of horror.

But I will check out Witch House eventually just out of interest if I ever get Netflix again (probably when the elusive TR anime comes out).
You welcome

And just in case you didn't know, Del Toro didn't direct the episodes, in fact they all have different directors.

And there's another episode that's also based on a Lovecraft short story, "Pickman's Model".
Old 15-11-22, 15:56   #9
Tsarina

I started this but the first episode really bored me a bit, does it get a little more exciting? I want to watch it because I love everything Del Toro does.
Tsarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-22, 22:44   #10
HarleyCroft

The only thing I remember from the Masters of Horrors adaptation of Dreams In The Witch House was
how bad the rat with the human face looked it was a comedy every time it was on screen even though I'm pretty sure it killed a baby

Which sucks because I've seen the image done differently and it's terrifying.

Pretty much everyone says the first episode of Black Mirror and the entire first season of The Office can be missed.. is Lot 36 one of the better episodes or is there a line of good ones I can jump into? (Yay anthologies)

Srry, Amunet just saw your rankings. Dang, that's hit and miss
Are the ☆☆☆s worth watching?

Last edited by HarleyCroft; 15-11-22 at 22:56.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote