www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 16-09-20, 18:15   #801
Kevin
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateFan View Post
Latest patches:Under specific circumstances, it is possible to see sprites flickering all around the screen. For example, in Playable Tutorial Level:

The purpose of these new patches is to fix this bug.

*TR2 Lara voice* The true Dettox of evil.

Thanks to Kevin, whose test level was very useful for my research!

Holy moly, I gotta test this later.
And glad, my level was of help.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-20, 18:43   #802
LoreRaider
Archaeologist

Omg I can't believe it, thank you so much for this!
Old 16-09-20, 19:19   #803
dinne
Archaeologist

Great! I remember you asking around for a level with this bug So this historical bug is now official fixed, wow
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-20, 01:31   #804
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

we wouldn't exist without queen mother chocolate fan
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-20, 06:26   #805
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Wow that's awesome. I gave up trying to stop that bug. Thanks!!
Old 17-09-20, 08:40   #806
OverRaider
Student

Exactly what I needed, This even solves the rain sprite flickering issue, my game is now so free of flame, smoke and rain flickering on screen. I was also trying to hopelessly fight this bug for weeks ( I know it's engine bug) and no matter what, guess what? The bug was winning. Now it's gone thanks to this patch.

I do however have a question as I've never used FLEP before and for a good reason. It patches executable therefore stupid windows recognizes the exe as virus and deletes the exe without asking users what they want to do with it. So I think that many players outside of the community just simply throw the whole thing into the bin and don't touch it anymore and just move on. Just very few of them do care to search the problem in the forums and/or care to solve the problem. I myself had this issue some time ago and took me some time figure out how to exclude the folders from security checking. I almost gave up. I would love to use this FLEP as it contains many more amazing features but am so sceptical due to the fact I described above. So I think this is the reality vs illusion. 80% of the potential players won't play the game and 20% of the players which we see in the community and streaming do care to do extra work to play the game. So we can't see what all the rest of the players do with the game with this exe behaviour. I know we can still add note to the readme files and add note to the descreption of the level page, though the reality is many don't care to read a thing and even if they do then they don't care to do extra work. Like: "what? the exe got deleted? LOL ok bye then". What do you guys think about all this?
OverRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-20, 09:42   #807
Lwmte
Archaeologist

It's your choice. You can either use FLEP and have the bug fixed, or you can ignore it and hope that people outside the community will have a chance to play your level.

The truth is, this community needs new engine as soon as possible. Current engine being recognized by antivirus software as a threat is not the fault of people using FLEP, but it's the fault of the way tomb4 was designed, with thousands of hardcoded parameters, conditions and hacks. It's also not the fault of antivirus software which just got "smarter" over the years and now recognizes any binary which has been massively messed with as a threat.

We've been very unfortunate that our favorite game engine was developed by people with little to no respect for basic design skills and structured programming, because of which tomb4.exe was patched to death.

Last edited by Lwmte; 17-09-20 at 09:45.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-20, 20:31   #808
LaraCablara
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateFan View Post
Latest patches:Under specific circumstances, it is possible to see sprites flickering all around the screen. For example, in Playable Tutorial Level:

The purpose of these new patches is to fix this bug.

*TR2 Lara voice* The true Dettox of evil.

Thanks to Kevin, whose test level was very useful for my research!
I wish this patch could be retroactively applied to every level ever released
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 06:00   #809
JMN
Explorer

@ChocolateFan Thank you for this
JMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-20, 19:58   #810
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Oh wow I can't believe you managed to fix that, I thought it's impossible to make particles work okay at this point. Thank you so much! May I ask how have you managed to fix this issue? I always wondered why does this happen in TR4. I'm especially interested since the same thing was affecting rain in trng, but I don't remember this being an issue for TR3 and 5.

Another question but do you think it would be possible to fix weird behavior of TRNG where aspect ratio would always be set to desktop's resolution rather than ingame res? I'm asking because recently I have realised that it is pretty much impossible to set 640x480 resolution without TRNG breaking aspect ratio. Currently if you have a desktop aspect ratio 16:10 then even if you set 640x480 resolution ingame the aspect ratio is still 16:10, squeezing everything and making lara horribly long.

Personally I wouldn't mind if trng's behavior was completrly scrapped and replaced woth -setup option to select 16:9 or 16:10 resolutions, trep-alike.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote