Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 07-09-21, 08:07   #31
.snake.

I feel like Core were always all over the place with that kind of stuff though - whether it was something they planned on fixing later or not.

The discrepancy of the security camera/key pad/Vasiley's clock puzzle/etc. controls, and exiting out of those modes, reminds me of Core's vehicles in games 2, 3 and 4. In each game they seem to have mapped completely different keys as to how to drive, accelerate, and exit the vehicle... I always find myself pressing all buttons on my keyboard until I'm able to exit the damn vehicle... much like how I'm pressing every button on my keyboard to get AOD Lara to exit the camera terminal
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-21, 13:34   #32
Jathom95

P
Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
I feel like Core were always all over the place with that kind of stuff though - whether it was something they planned on fixing later or not.

The discrepancy of the security camera/key pad/Vasiley's clock puzzle/etc. controls, and exiting out of those modes, reminds me of Core's vehicles in games 2, 3 and 4. In each game they seem to have mapped completely different keys as to how to drive, accelerate, and exit the vehicle... I always find myself pressing all buttons on my keyboard until I'm able to exit the damn vehicle... much like how I'm pressing every button on my keyboard to get AOD Lara to exit the camera terminal
Somewhat, yes. But in 1-5 that was likely mostly because of having annual releases and not really getting in enough time to refine anything. It does seem like it was a Core staple, but having to rush one game out the door and start development on another means they probably just had to get things as functional as they could.

But the biggest difference in those games was the grid system. Lara's precise movement and being able to move and jump the same distance every time meant people could probably overlook a lot of the smaller discrepancies.

With AOD having the grid system removed, in its place we have the stripped-down upgrade system that adjusts her abilities and jump length constantly. The vanilla controls have the walk-to-run thing and slower run speed than any of the rest of the classics (though nowadays we know why with that one, Core intended to have variable running speeds for Lara the more her strength increased).

So in AOD's case, it makes a lot of the smaller discrepancies stand out more with the potentially more fluid control system.

Last edited by Jathom95; 07-09-21 at 17:35.
Jathom95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-21, 03:18   #33
Jathom95

Late, if you're ever in a position to come back to this, I'd say about the only other tweak to Lara in particular is adjusting her turn speed. It's fine enough if she's standing perfectly still, but if you move her forward and try to turn around just after stopping, there's like a 1 second delay before she does it. It's just enough to be annoying. I've noticed Kurtis moves slightly faster than Lara does while turning, even after moving. So it might be possible.

I think that plus your potential future additions if someone is ever able to help would pretty much make Lara as fluid as she can possibly be in AOD.

Btw, I've been noticing different people posting about Lara moving slowly in stealth mode if she's hugging the wall. Wanted to mention that she'll move faster if you press whichever key for the direction you want her to go in, plus the up directional key at the same time.

Last edited by Jathom95; 08-10-21 at 03:24.
Old 08-12-21, 20:06   #34
LateRaider
Inactive

v1.5 is out a bit earlier than anticipated. All of reborninshadow's changes have motivated me.

Changes:
- Lara/Kurtis slink along walls in stealth at 100% speed, instead of 30% like before
- After holstering a gun or killing an enemy, the camera now returns to normal behavior without delay
- If a gun was drawn prior to sprinting, Lara will not holster it
- Lara/Kurtis can now enter stealth mode with a gun out and shoot (This does not apply to slinking along walls)
- Applied Erik Pistelli's 4 GB Patch to increase EXE memory

2.0 will hopefully see side stepping, stealth, sprinting, and rolling on stairs without eliminating the stair climb animations.

Last edited by LateRaider; 08-12-21 at 21:49.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-21, 20:09   #35
Jathom95

Thanks for the update Late!
Old 09-12-21, 22:54   #36
LateRaider
Inactive

You're welcome. New example video is up showcasing all changes thus far.
Old 10-12-21, 00:26   #37
KIKO

This is really helpful and I’m glad you made a video demonstrating and showcasing all the changes. I don’t own a pc these days so I can’t try it out myself.

If we are on the topic of speeding up animations, may I suggest altering the speed of ladder climbing? I don’t know about everyone else but to me it’s always been too slow, especially when you have to climb the longer ladders in the strahov
KIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-21, 00:46   #38
Jathom95

^ Lol, especially going up them. Going down, I use the "Let go, grab again" method just like 1-5. Which, considering she has to re-orient herself on the ladder, may end up making it take just as long anyway. But at least it feels quicker.

In all seriousness though, I like the ladder speed as-is honestly because it looks realistic. If it were sped up even a little, I feel like it'd look a little ridiculous.

Last edited by Jathom95; 10-12-21 at 14:40.
Old 10-12-21, 05:34   #39
LateRaider
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIKO View Post
If we are on the topic of speeding up animations, may I suggest altering the speed of ladder climbing? I don’t know about everyone else but to me it’s always been too slow, especially when you have to climb the longer ladders in the strahov
Not a bad idea but I don't think I'd want to do that. If it shows up, I'll test it but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-12-21, 14:35   #40
Jathom95

I think really the only other move that is slower on PC because of porting issues is Lara's turning speed.

Reborn mentioned that the reason wall hugging was so slow was because of a call for non-existent Analog controls being in the PC version as well. So, she always went as slow as possible by default.

I mentioned in the General thread though that, strangely, if you had her moving along the wall while also pressing the Down directional button/key, it would make her go as fast as possible as well. So that must've somehow been linked to the broken Analog call in the exe for some reason.

And turning around does the same thing, you go faster if you press Down after you've already started moving. That's what makes me wonder if there's another "block" in there somewhere. Where, if removed, she'd turn around as fast as possible every time. Kurtis also turns around slightly faster than Lara by default, so I wonder what's going on there?

Last edited by Jathom95; 10-12-21 at 14:40.