www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 31-10-21, 15:10   #1
nobleflame
Hobbyist

Default Natlaís Mines crane game breaking bug (PC STEAM)

Hi there, Iím getting a really strange bug that essentially locks me out of continuing the game.

In Natlaís Mines, when I input the blue fuse and press the final button to drop the crane onto the office building, the animation plays, but the roof of the office doesnít break. The game then freezes at the end of the animation so that I can no longer control Lara.

I can still access the main menu and the inventory screens, but I cannot move Lara or continue the game.

Iíve tried every combination of the puzzle and Iíve even tried using another userís profile / save file, but the same issue occurs.

I have seen that other users have experienced the same issue, but I still havenít found a solution. In the meantime, Iíve used a save after the puzzle checkpoint so that I can continue, but this wonít help me when I need to do time trials.

Does anyone have any advice?
nobleflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-21, 20:35   #2
reborninshadow
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobleflame View Post
Hi there, Iím getting a really strange bug that essentially locks me out of continuing the game.

In Natlaís Mines, when I input the blue fuse and press the final button to drop the crane onto the office building, the animation plays, but the roof of the office doesnít break. The game then freezes at the end of the animation so that I can no longer control Lara.

I can still access the main menu and the inventory screens, but I cannot move Lara or continue the game.

Iíve tried every combination of the puzzle and Iíve even tried using another userís profile / save file, but the same issue occurs.

I have seen that other users have experienced the same issue, but I still havenít found a solution. In the meantime, Iíve used a save after the puzzle checkpoint so that I can continue, but this wonít help me when I need to do time trials.

Does anyone have any advice?
Do you have V-Sync enabled in the game settings? That's the only thing that comes to my mind at the moment because if you have that disabled, the game starts acting weird. It's best to play at a locked 60fps with V-Sync enabled.
reborninshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 08:56   #3
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

This has nothing to do with v-sync but with the frame rate. If you had a 240Hz monitor and would activate v-sync, it would cap the frame rate at 240 FPS and you would still have issues. The reason why v-sync works for some people is because it caps the frame rate at 60 FPS if you have a 60Hz monitor.

The LAU games bug out when you play them at a frame rate higher than 85 FPS. So just cap it at that or lower (if you have a 60Hz monitor, capping it at 60 FPS is a good idea to avoid tearing).

You can cap the frame rate with external tools, either directly in your driver or with something like Rivatuner.

Last edited by Wooxman; 01-11-21 at 08:59.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 15:35   #4
reborninshadow
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
This has nothing to do with v-sync but with the frame rate. If you had a 240Hz monitor and would activate v-sync, it would cap the frame rate at 240 FPS and you would still have issues. The reason why v-sync works for some people is because it caps the frame rate at 60 FPS if you have a 60Hz monitor.

The LAU games bug out when you play them at a frame rate higher than 85 FPS. So just cap it at that or lower (if you have a 60Hz monitor, capping it at 60 FPS is a good idea to avoid tearing).

You can cap the frame rate with external tools, either directly in your driver or with something like Rivatuner.
Thanks for the correction, didn't know it was caused when playing specifically above 85fps. I'll keep that in mind in the future as well.
reborninshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 22:27   #5
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Correct me if I'm wrong-

But in the initial PC anniversary release I could never pass natlas mines as the entire crane did NOT appear at all. Alongside this bug, many of the *boxes hanging off ceiling* platforming elements in the level were- half textured also - an immediate clue that the crane would eventually not be there. All fuses and camera triggers worked as it should have been! The crane object was just not there.... no collision in place so nothing progressed. Reinstalled the game numerous times and tried others savegames but it didnt fix it at the time.

Years later though however via most likely Steam and my Japanese disk version, this issue wasnt present anymore from my memory.

I wonder if this was any related to the aforementioned fps/hz issues- or an anniversary patch update helped fix some of the problem atleast...hmm

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 03-11-21 at 22:29.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 08:58   #6
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
I wonder if this was any related to the aforementioned fps/hz issues- or an anniversary patch update helped fix some of the problem atleast...hmm
This sounds like a different problem. AFAIK too high frame rates in the LAU games only cause the physics to go crazy and malfunction, not to make things disappear. From my experience bugs like the one described by you sometimes require deleting everything related to that game, even registry entries. Usually if you just uninstall a game, the registry entries will remain so when you reinstall it, the issues are still present if they're related to that. Though once I had a really curious bug in Legend where in the last room of the first level there was a big green dome that looked like an UFO on the platform. I could walk through it, so it was just a visual bug, but it was still pretty weird.

Though TRA in particular is very buggy. On some platforms if you climb onto them from a hanging position, Lara will just slip back off again (that's even more annoying when playing with manual grabbing enabled). And the audio commentary crystals aren't rendered correctly so they always look like 2 crystals floating through each other. And when you change the language mid-game it can cause your save game to get corrupted the next time you start the game. Legend and Underworld don't have these issues (but they have different ones).
Old 06-11-21, 00:47   #7
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Thankyou for the reply! I indeed did figure at the time an absolutely FULL registry clean and uninstall indeed stopped the problem eventually.

That language crash must be because of Anniversary containing all language data inside the EXE and not the bigfiles unlike L and U. This was always somewhat notable especially as you can compile your own unique language version this way. Interesting
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote