www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 05-01-21, 01:19   #7211
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Given how little of the new moves were implemented into the main game in this build and there is nowhere really to practise it in the gym perhaps it was cut or just not fully implemented yet?

Core didn't really go in for the whole 'you can only do this when we say you can' style of development CD do. They gave you some moves and you can use them. If they get you places then great, if not then fine.

Last edited by jajay119; 05-01-21 at 03:05.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 02:15   #7212
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Given how little of the new moves were implemented into the main game in this build and there is nowhere really to practise it in the gym perhaps it was cut or just not fully implemented yet?

Core didn't really go in for the whole 'you can old do this when we say you can't style of development CD do. They gave you some moves and you can use them. If they get you places then great, if not then fine.
I don't think they were cut, I think this is just a very unfinished build. We have screenshots of some of the levels being way further along than they are in this build (for example, the Palace Midas level layout in some of the screenshots we have is totally different from the screens Ash posted of the level mesh in his files).
Old 05-01-21, 02:22   #7213
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

I wonder if a more current build even exists these days
Old 05-01-21, 03:05   #7214
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
I wonder if a more current build even exists these days
i think so
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 03:07   #7215
jajay119
Tomb Raider

The thing is though this build has the national treasure loading screens and the Nazi iconography from when it was made into an indy game which I would imagine was done after all those screens. I'm starting to think some of the screens could have simply been concept renders.
Old 05-01-21, 03:31   #7216
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
The thing is though this build has the national treasure loading screens and the Nazi iconography from when it was made into an indy game which I would imagine was done after all those screens. I'm starting to think some of the screens could have simply been concept renders.
There's a chance that the more advanced versions of the levels never made it into a compiled, playable build. They may have only ever existed as Maya work files. Then again, at least with the final room of Tomb of Tihocan we have screenshots of a more advanced version that very much look like in-game screens so who knows. Could also be that, for whatever reason, they used an older build for the Indiana Jones stuff.

The Palace Midas stuff is definitely not just "concept renders". That would make zero sense considering what they look like.

EDIT: Here, this is clearly not a "concept render" but it is way further along than what's in Ash's files:

Last edited by Zebra; 05-01-21 at 03:34.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 04:22   #7217
Felipe
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
In another thread it was stated that Lara's model was changed later in production to look more like Legend's. Could it be that this 'automated' jump was also added to better fit with Legend?
It very well could be, or it could just be Core's desire to adjust to the times, as precision platforming was quickly becoming out of fashion in the mid 2000s.
Felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 04:34   #7218
Zebra
Legend

Keep in mind that they started work on this game after working on Free Running. I think a lot of the new moves and animations were inspired by that moreso than by Legend.
Old 05-01-21, 06:22   #7219
FenderXT
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
well we have recordings of the "t-rex" cutscene where the t-rex destroys the bridge but don't know if it's in this build. Maybe they did some small cutscenes but not the important ones imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyiFrAC-8Fk
Aha, that was nice to see, that explain why there is a model for T-Rex under the map and why the bridge looks ok, but I fell trough it when walking there xD
Here is a video of me exploring.
https://youtu.be/2uqKRtcYe90
FenderXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 07:05   #7220
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Maybe they needed to place manual markers to tell the game where Lara should be able to do it and the flipmap with the moved pillar doesn't have the marker?
Nope. This move isn't automated, neither does it work on just very specific ledges. This is what I figured out about the wall scramble move:

In TR I there are certain ledges that Lara can only reach when doing a standing jump upwards/when you hold down the action button and press forward. In TRAE she can reach those ledges from a running jump, at least as long as there's a wall beneath a ledge. If you run towards such a wall and jump and hold down the jump button and press forward, Lara will do the wall scramble move. And she will do it from different heights, depending on where she bumps into the wall and how high the wall is. Plus this move allows her to grab ledges that she can't grab when you just hold down the action button and press forward. BUT it's possible that this move isn't implemented in every level. Because that's a thing that I already noticed in AoD and I noticed it again in TRAE with another move:

The saving grab when you push Lara over an edge.

So, in the Crystal TR games when you make Lara go over an edge, she will turn around and grab that edge. A similar move actually exists in AoD. There I first noticed it because in certain levels Lara does this move on her own. But you can also manually trigger it by holding down the action button when running over a ledge. Pretty neat, but I prefer the manual way of doing this. And in TRAE this move exists as well and like in AoD it's automated in just a few of the levels (and there's a chance that it only works if Lara doesn't run at full speed, which is easier to achieve with a gamepad than a keyboard, but I'm not 100% sure about this since it's been a while that I played it) but will work every time when you hold down the action button. My guess is that Core wasn't sure whether they want this move to be automated or not. So it's possible that the TRAE wall scramble also doesn't work in all of the levels.

Last edited by Wooxman; 05-01-21 at 07:13.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote