www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 17-02-18, 06:20   #8771
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

OH MY GOD!!! IT'S HERE

THE FINAL TRAILER. I mean it says TV Spot but it's final trailer...

WARNING: BEFORE WATCHING THIS SPOILS THE ENTIRE RAPIDS SEQUENCE. GENUINE HERE. THIS WILL SHOW EVERYTHING...

Not gonna lie - Now I genuinely feel I've seen way too much of this movie. Some of it looks so good then other bits the CGI looks so bad like when she says "really!?". I like how they re-designed her jumping off the boat I think it sends a better message of why she needs to jump off the ship and it isn't a big crazy jump.

But if I'm being completely honest a lot of it looks like studio notes where execs said "Hey" I know your going for realism but lets make her jump higher here and put an explosion behind her like the end. I actually to this day still prefer that scene in trailer 1 when there wasn't fire or anything crazy behind her but a crumbling Tomb.

But anyways I'm much more impressed with what I seen on Graham Norton because that's the final product and the CGI is flawless, the marketing crowd here are still clearly working with older CGI edits... I hope.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 17-02-18 at 06:30.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 06:24   #8772
iWANEX
Golden

Holy ****. That was amaziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinggggggggggggg.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 06:30   #8773
joona
Historian

Honestly, I donít know what to say... I AM SO F****** EXCITED SERIOUSLY AAHHHHHHHHH!!
joona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 06:38   #8774
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

OMFGsiuhiudfhaiudhf I CAN''t DEAL WITH THIS!

I haven't watched it and I won't, but damn the struggle not to is haaaard. Not gonna lie that I did try to watch as soon as I saw the post but then firefox kept slowing down and freezing. Talk about divine intervention

Also since I like complaining as well as praising: I will miss Alicia's floating jump. I really liked that scene and her big jumps never bothered me in the slightest. I feel like replacing her with CGI 'cheapened'' it a bit, since I really like real stunts and also because she jumped exactly like reboot Lara jumps in the games. Still, the new falling into water scene was so much more atmospheric and brutal, I loved it

I used to be cautiously optimistic about this, also not really sure I would really like it. But now, I have to saw I'm confident I'll love every second of this.
Old 17-02-18, 06:40   #8775
iWANEX
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
WARNING: BEFORE WATCHING THIS SPOILS THE ENTIRE RAPIDS SEQUENCE. GENUINE HERE. THIS WILL SHOW EVERYTHING...

Not gonna lie - Now I genuinely feel I've seen way too much of this movie. Some of it looks so good then other bits the CGI looks so bad like when she says "really!?". I like how they re-designed her jumping off the boat I think it sends a better message of why she needs to jump off the ship and it isn't a big crazy jump.

But if I'm being completely honest a lot of it looks like studio notes where execs said "Hey" I know your going for realism but lets make her jump higher here and put an explosion behind her like the end. I actually to this day still prefer that scene in trailer 1 when there wasn't fire or anything crazy behind her but a crumbling Tomb.

But anyways I'm much more impressed with what I seen on Graham Norton because that's the final product and the CGI is flawless, the marketing crowd here are still clearly working with older CGI edits... I hope.
Honestly? I don't think it spoils anything, really. Yes, the whole sequence is shown (although heavily cut to fit in one minute) but it's not like we don't know how the whole scene turns out. We all have played the game after all. If anything it makes me way more excited about the movie now.

And the CGI, well, it's still very noticeable to me, specially the way she jumps from the falling wing. The other bits look ok now that I had time to digest them, haha.

And the new shots look great. Her jumping into the water looks better now with the ship sinking and the explosion. And when she jumps with the pickaxe, I love that everything is falling apart. Looks much more cinematic. DUN DUN!
Old 17-02-18, 06:42   #8776
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
OMFGsiuhiudfhaiudhf I CAN''t DEAL WITH THIS!

I haven't watched it and I won't, but damn the struggle not to is haaaard. Not gonna lie that I did try to watch as soon as I saw the post but then firefox kept slowing down and freezing. Talk about divine intervention

Also since I like complaining as well as praising: I will miss Alicia's floating jump. I really liked that scene and her big jumps never bothered me in the slightest. I feel like replacing her with CGI 'cheapened'' it a bit, since I really like real stunts and also because she jumped exactly like reboot Lara jumps in the games. Still, the new falling into water scene was so much more atmospheric and brutal, I loved it

I used to be cautiously optimistic about this, also not really sure I would really like it. But now, I have to saw I'm confident I'll love every second of this.
^ You know what, don't watch it. I regret it!!

A) It spoils everything. (In that yeah we know it's coming but it depends like I mean I think that's a big moment for some people and maybe you want to experience it for the first time on the big cinema screen, I'm sure shots are cut but you really get a big sense of how it plays out now. So I stand by this!)

B) The CGI is really bad in some spots and now when the movie hits theatre I'm not gonna help myself but be worried that the CGI I just saw in that clip will be presented in front of me blown up.

Now before I get rebuttals there are parts where they re-rendered things like Lara jumping off the ship and I love it! it looks actually much better and I think on a bigger screen will look more interesting but I just can't believe even though I'm sure they said the visual effects weren't final for the plane sequence that the marketing crowd who put that together was like "meh, it'll do." I actually hope that clip I posted doesn't get a huge reach beyond the fanbase who will know that in theatre's the CGI will hopefully be refined.

What I do recommend everyone watch is the Graham Norton footage posted earlier which honestly has me a lot more enthused than that promo. You get to hear Junkie XL's music, you get to see a real cut of the film and wow the CGI looks amazing in it like you can't tell it's CGI which is what we want. But I guess if anyone is really curious to see the parachute scene come to life they should totally watch the new promo.

OH BUT I WILL SAY: The cinematography is amazing CGI or not. Wow. The shots are so well captured it puts to bed any argument "it should be thrown on Netflix" I can't wait to see these scenic ultra wide shots presented on a big cinema screen and there are some shots I just haven't even seen a Comic Book movie do. I mean the star of the film is Lara Croft but this island should be nominated for best supporting actor.

Edit again: you know what - I think the CGI is a bit better than what I make it out to be, I just think this video is cut weird. As she's about to jump off the plane it went from an extreme close up and it jump cuts to another close up but a bit more zoomed out. The editor on this IS BRUTAL. Like film making 101 is if you do jump cuts you make them drastic so if your actor has a different facial expression (which she totally does) it doesn't look obvious or out of place... :/

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 17-02-18 at 06:54.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 06:48   #8777
joona
Historian

Okay, the budget has to be over 60 million.
joona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 06:55   #8778
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

@GeekOfComedy: ooh I won't, I don't want to ruin what is possibly one of the best scenes in the movie for me on youtube. Not gonna lie that it's tempting though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joona View Post
Okay, the budget has to be over 60 million.
I'm really starting to think the original budget was much smaller than now. Just this week we have seen a lot of (very expensive) changes and the promo seems to be getting more attention and praise, along with the fact that it seems the marketing team finally got off their asses and started working properly lol
Old 17-02-18, 06:57   #8779
Richard_Croft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
OH MY GOD!!! IT'S HERE

THE FINAL TRAILER. I mean it says TV Spot but it's final trailer...

Wow, just WOW! I'm loving that rapids scene more and more every time I see it, it's pretty impressive! And Alicia's expressions? YES, totally excited!
Now, am I the only one getting some AOD vibes in that final leap she does? It certainly does look familiar to the sprinting jump in the game!

Old 17-02-18, 07:04   #8780
iWANEX
Golden

Here's a quick side by side comparison.

I think they improved the scenes. Everything looks amazing!!!

I prefer the final version of the jump. It gives you context.

I just realized that here, even though the frame is the exact same (I checked), her legs are different. Did they CGI her legs or something? Her upper body and face are the same, though.

Also, this shot from behind has been altered from the first trailer. It's amazing how the same scene can be so different. She jumps like an angel going to heaven in the final version, hahaha.

Last edited by iWANEX; 17-02-18 at 07:20.