www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 25-02-18, 20:12   #9671
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

Let's not forget the other clichè tropes in this with the secret organisation and the father with the secret life. They're using a lot of clichès in this movie but to be honest it's emulating adventure films like Indiana Jones and The Mummy and those are pretty much the basis for all ancient adventure films so I expect some cliché moments in there the game also had a lot of them to be honest.
Old 25-02-18, 20:43   #9672
2001LC20
Inactive

Could be a silly question but anyway...

In how many months we could expect a sequel announcement IF the movie is really successful and WB would really consider a sequel for the film?
2001LC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-18, 20:51   #9673
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
Let's not forget the other clichè tropes in this with the secret organisation and the father with the secret life. They're using a lot of clichès in this movie but to be honest it's emulating adventure films like Indiana Jones and The Mummy and those are pretty much the basis for all ancient adventure films so I expect some cliché moments in there the game also had a lot of them to be honest.
Clichés are only clichés because they can easily work as plot ideas. The problem is just using them without any though put on them. Let's hope this is not the case with this movie.
Old 25-02-18, 20:53   #9674
PinkyPromise
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001LC20 View Post
Could be a silly question but anyway...

In how many months we could expect a sequel announcement IF the movie is really successful and WB would really consider a sequel for the film?
Its depends.

If the movie cost 100 million ...

1. It debuts high in the US and around the world and quickly raises 400 millions, could be announced in two week or three after the premiere

2. If he fails in the USA and has international success but raises a few 300 or less, then they could take their time (they would have to evaluate if they are interested or not)

The problem with this film is that it is produced by many studios: WB, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, GK films ...

Remember the predictions about TR? It is the only movie that goes up. Wrinke, Love Simon and Red Sparrow go down and now TR predict 60 in the USA.

https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range...er-troopers-2/

I hope they keep going up. If TR raises more than 100 in the US the sequel would be guaranteed

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 25-02-18 at 21:00.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-18, 21:15   #9675
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

A sequel probably won't be announced unless the film clears $300M I feel like this is pretty achievable, if the budget is even lower than 100M (there was a rumour 60M-80M that seems too low) then I'd say around $250M would do. If this film fails domestically but still does well overseas and internationally they'll probably make a sequel with a new company attatched as distributor other than Warner Bros.
Old 25-02-18, 21:18   #9676
AimlessThunder
Professor

What if the sequel is going to be a cheap tv movie with a different actress?
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-18, 21:20   #9677
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Smile

^ You mean Camilla Luddington

If it costed $100M but makes $300M + gets good reviews (to be honest if it gets good reviews they'll make a sequel and market it better at $250M) you'll probably get an announcement at Comic Con!

I just saw ads and bill board promotions for it here, to get that much advertising this film HAD to cost at least $100 Million. And you know what it sounds full of action so with good word of mouth it could have legs to bring in lots of money - I see no reason for it to reach Mission Impossible level of success if NOT Jumanji. I'd like to see that box office for Tomb Raider and then it'll make a killing in the Blu-ray and streaming market years later.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 25-02-18 at 21:22.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-18, 21:21   #9678
PinkyPromise
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimlessThunder View Post
What if the sequel is going to be a cheap tv movie with a different actress?
no! hahahaha

They have a contract with Square Enix with some clauses: Lara can not smoke, can not appear nude ... I'm sure it can not be a tvmovie. In fact, if they do not make another movie in a certain time the rights return to Square (as it happened with Paramount or Dan Lin productions) that is good because it encourages them to make more movies.

I also thought that the budget was less than 100 but seeing the new trailers I think it will be a 100 million movie.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 25-02-18 at 21:27.
Old 25-02-18, 21:46   #9679
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

At this point it's pretty important that critical word of mouth is good to win over the general audience if we want to see sequels. Black Panther has a huge success that has been underestimated, it's already earned $704M in under two weeks this is most likely going to have a strong hold going into March and will go on to be one of the top ten highest earning films of all time.

Tomb Raider benefits from it being the first major release during US Spring Break so a lot of college students might go see it with their time off, also it will co-incide with St Patrick's Day weekend and Easter break will be early this year.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 25-02-18 at 21:50.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-18, 22:00   #9680
PinkyPromise
Professor

Beauty and the beast opened on the same day last year. I hope it brings luck.