Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 27-05-20, 09:36   #11
killchan

Remember Me

The combat was pretty good and very original. it's a 3D browler with only 6 combos, but you can assign an effect (heal, get SP, deal damage) to each hit of the combo and you really need to get the timing right and that punishes you for button mashing

... but everything else was walk from A to B or jump/climb where the cursor (yep) tells you to go.

It sold ok but damn, wasted potential.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-20, 10:39   #12
tomblover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Mirror's Edge Catalyst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnod View Post
My vote in this category is always going to be WET.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
Remember Me
All of the above. I'm struggling to think of any others at the moment.

@Wooxman mentioned Beyond Good & Evil too, which I'm inclined to agree with (especially knowing that a real sequel was planned and then dropped for this multiplayer prequel thing, no doubt due to Ubisoft deciding it was more lucrative), but at least that franchise isn't strictly dead.

Wait. Oh, god.

Unreal Tournament 4, you guys. The one and only reason I hate Fortnite as passionately as I do - because its runaway success made Epic pull the plug on UT4, which was in development at the time, soon to be left dead in the water.

Last edited by tomblover; 27-05-20 at 10:42.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-20, 12:28   #13
Lara_Fan1

Resident Evil 3make.

While it was a good game and visually pleasing it fell short in a lot of areas. What fans were expecting and what we got were two completely different things. We get told Nemesis was going to be 10x more ruthless than Mr X what they didn’t tell us is that he’d be 10x more scripted out of the whole game I can only name one area that he free roams in (if you want to call it that).

Iconic and memorable locations because scrapped completely. The clock tower, I can’t remember how many comments I read in the lead up to the game of how people were really excited to see an extended Clock Tower to roam about in, for it to appear as a background building for a minute or so. Which leads me on to them completely rewriting the R.P.D, sure we get to see it connect 3 to 2 but we went as Carlos not Jill. We never got to see Nemesis kill Brad, we didn’t get to see Jill revisit her old office, we never got the iconic scene of Nemesis bursting through the window.

Resistance: It’s well known that Capcom has and will focus more on Project Resistance, something fans did not ask for. We want DLC for the main game but instead all we’ll get are more characters included for the online game.

So all in all, we got totally screwed over in the hopes and promises of something Capcom miserably failed to deliver.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-20, 17:21   #14
Ashnod

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
Remember Me

The combat was pretty good and very original. it's a 3D browler with only 6 combos, but you can assign an effect (heal, get SP, deal damage) to each hit of the combo and you really need to get the timing right and that punishes you for button mashing

... but everything else was walk from A to B or jump/climb where the cursor (yep) tells you to go.

It sold ok but damn, wasted potential.
OH GOD, yes, I forgot about Remember Me. I agree. I had so much fun with this one. The pressens combos were fun, I enjoyed playing around with them and mastering the timing between combos and dodges.

But it's core mechanic, the memory remixing, was under utilized and the implications of doing it weren't properly explored.

SOOOOO much potential. I'd love to see Remember Me have a second chance.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-20, 21:40   #15
PatTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
Resident Evil 3make.

While it was a good game and visually pleasing it fell short in a lot of areas. What fans were expecting and what we got were two completely different things. We get told Nemesis was going to be 10x more ruthless than Mr X what they didn’t tell us is that he’d be 10x more scripted out of the whole game I can only name one area that he free roams in (if you want to call it that).

Iconic and memorable locations because scrapped completely. The clock tower, I can’t remember how many comments I read in the lead up to the game of how people were really excited to see an extended Clock Tower to roam about in, for it to appear as a background building for a minute or so. Which leads me on to them completely rewriting the R.P.D, sure we get to see it connect 3 to 2 but we went as Carlos not Jill. We never got to see Nemesis kill Brad, we didn’t get to see Jill revisit her old office, we never got the iconic scene of Nemesis bursting through the window.

Resistance: It’s well known that Capcom has and will focus more on Project Resistance, something fans did not ask for. We want DLC for the main game but instead all we’ll get are more characters included for the online game.

So all in all, we got totally screwed over in the hopes and promises of something Capcom miserably failed to deliver.
Came here to say this but you said it perfectly yourself.

Resident Evil 3 Remake was the first RE game since RE5 that I bought on launch day. I was so put off by RE6 that I was very cautious going forward with the series. After eventually buying and loving both RE7 and RE2 remake I was convinced Capcom were at the top of their game again. And then all the trust and respect I regained from them over many years was completely thrown out the window with the release of RE3 remake.

This game felt like they were just trying to make a quick buck off the fans of the original and success of RE2 remake instead of making the best game they could've. It makes me sad thinking about what could have been with this game. So much wasted potential just to rush out a product they knew people would buy.

RE games are definitely not a day one purchase for me anymore... again
PatTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-20, 17:21   #16
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
Unreal Tournament 4, you guys. The one and only reason I hate Fortnite as passionately as I do - because its runaway success made Epic pull the plug on UT4, which was in development at the time, soon to be left dead in the water.
Yeah, that's pretty disappointing. Though if Epic didn't assign the UT devs to Fortnite, Fortnite probably wouldn't have gotten that old school, arena shooter like gameplay. And considering just how successful it is, there's a chance that more devs will copy that type of gameplay and I would be totally fine with that. So I can't hate Epic as much for basically pulling the plug of UT4 as I would if Fortnite was just another generic slow paced 3rd person shooter.

But of course if would be awesome if UT4 would be revived. Quake Champions is doing fine (but of course it could do better), so there certainly is a market for classic arena shooters. A lot of indie arena shooters failed, mostly because not many people heard about them since the devs don't have much money for marketing, so only big AAA devs/publishers with enough money for marketing could bring that genre back in a big way.

Last edited by Wooxman; 28-05-20 at 17:27.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-20, 21:19   #17
Samz

Gangsters Organized Crime I guess.

It's clearly not fully finished (A handful of mechanics work quite unlike how the manual suggests) but it's a decently fun management sim strategy game set in the 1920's.

Unfortunately it seems to have been mostly forgotten about, wasn't a big hit at the time since it's not exactly the easy to get into game.

It's got decent stuff, like being a crime game where combat is actually something to be avoided but also some kinda big flaws like the fact speeding up the in-game clock to bypass the "Working week" (Basically you all take a single turn at once.) results in orders not being completed as your units and the in-game clock don't speed up at the same ratio.

I think I only even heard about it because apparently certain copies of it came with a demo for TR3.

There was a sequel but apparently it wasn't too good and isn't avaliable digitally unlike the original.

Last edited by Samz; 28-05-20 at 21:21.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-20, 22:34   #18
ozzman

Surprised nobody mentioned AOD yet...

i'm going to say Dynasty Warriors 9, it had so much potential and isn't quite as good quality as the last few DW games
ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-20, 23:33   #19
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
i'm going to say Dynasty Warriors 9, it had so much potential and isn't quite as good quality as the last few DW games
I wish I could say I was disappointed but I expected it to suck and I was right.

The last good Dynasty Warriors was 5, which remains the best in my opinion. If anyone is mildly interested in trying this series out and still has a PS2, Xbox or XBox 360, I recommend you just play 5 and its expansions, maybe 4 and its expansions if you're still hungry for more, and then call it a day. You'll see the best of what the series has to offer without wasting any more of your time and money on the rest of them.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 28-05-20 at 23:36.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-20, 00:16   #20
ozzman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I wish I could say I was disappointed but I expected it to suck and I was right.

The last good Dynasty Warriors was 5, which remains the best in my opinion. If anyone is mildly interested in trying this series out and still has a PS2, Xbox or XBox 360, I recommend you just play 5 and its expansions, maybe 4 and its expansions if you're still hungry for more, and then call it a day. You'll see the best of what the series has to offer without wasting any more of your time and money on the rest of them.
DW4 was the game that got me into the series. and 5 was absolutely the best in the series. i wish i could get 5 on 360 but it's only available in japan and unlike the ps3, isn't region free.
ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote