www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Today, 18:21   #351
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor
 
Melonie Tomb Raider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 26,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhons0529 View Post
That being said, the fact that so many people mistake LAU for classic Tomb Raider kind of adds to the point, its more franchise friendly even if it ruined a lot for old fans. I'd argue personally though there is some things I prefer that Shadow did, which I loathe to admit.
That's a good point. LAU may have veered far from Tomb Raider in both Lara Croft and the gameplay, but it's packaged in a way that resembles Tomb Raider and maintained a lot of Lara's trademarks: shorts, dual pistols, backpak, so in that sense it felt a lot closer for sure.

The reboot both looks and feels like a completely different IP in more ways than not. If it were under a different name people would closer liken it to Uncharted than actually Tomb Raider I'd imagine.
__________________
I can do all things through Croft who strengthens me
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 18:27   #352
Vaskito
Relic Hunter
 
Vaskito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Portugal
Posts: 7,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
Growing thick skin and being confident enough in yourself not to get dramatic over differing opinions or some hater isn't being submissive.
What about your whole spat with Anita and the huge drama you've created out of it both on Twitter, here, and youtube? Writing down this kind of stuff is cute and all, but putting words into action is a whole different thing. You felt what she was saying wasn't correct or wasn't fair, and you made a huge deal out of it. You did not "buck up, buttercup" about the stuff she was saying

I do read your advice as telling me to be submissive. You're basically telling me I should shut up and accept people telling me that I have low standards, or that the games I love aren't real TR or real Lara because they say so and I shouldn't reply, but you're the first person to reply back if this type of claim and patronizing posts are made the other way around in regards to Classic TR and Lara. I think the better advice would be to tell people who say "it's not real Lara" or "not real TR" and change something patronizing to something that comes of as an actual opinion "it's not the version I like", or "It's not Lara/TR to me"

Honestly, I don't think there's much more I can say to explain my PoV on this, because I feel like I've been repeating the same stuff over and over now
__________________
Why must we fall apart to understand how to fly
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 18:32   #353
biscuits
Professor
 
biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 4,269
Default

I think we all should just grab nice snickers bars and repeat to ourselves that it's just a game.
__________________
The hammer of justice is unisex!
biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 18:32   #354
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor
 
Melonie Tomb Raider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 26,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
What about your whole spat with Anita and the huge drama you've created out of it both on Twitter, here, and youtube? Writing down this kind of stuff is cute and all, but putting words into action is a whole different thing. You felt what she was saying wasn't correct or wasn't fair, and you made a huge deal out of it. You did not "buck up, buttercup" about the stuff she was saying

I do read your advice as telling me to be submissive. You're basically telling me I should shut up and accept people telling me that I have low standards, or that the games I love aren't real TR or real Lara because they say so and I shouldn't reply, but you're the first person to reply back if this type of claim and patronizing posts are made the other way around in regards to Classic TR and Lara. I think the better advice would be to tell people who say "it's not real Lara" or "not real TR" and change something patronizing to something that comes of as an actual opinion "it's not the version I like", or "It's not Lara/TR to me"

Honestly, I don't think there's much more I can say to explain my PoV on this, because I feel like I've been repeating the same stuff over and over now
You mean the video I made showing my viewpoint about Lara Croft and also saying I respected Anita's efforts and what she tries to do for women even thought I disagree?

Oh, right.

Also that is not TRF, I made a video on my own YouTube channel and shared on my own social media my opinion about Lara Croft, I did not make a personal video about Anita.

But go on. I won't tell you how to live your life, play victim and find reason to be offended by people having different opinions than you on a video game. Have fun with that
__________________
I can do all things through Croft who strengthens me
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 18:39   #355
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist
 
paulojr_mam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
So you're basically blaming a company from trying to make a profit out of the product they own?
Not "blaming", I shouldn't have used that word. Just a matter of cause and consequence with no judgment for the good or for the bad. The fans are divided because of a drastic change in the games that was brought forth by the publisher/devs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Actually, there was a divide as well. Keeley was also dragged through the mud, Lara wasn't Lara, and the games weren't Tomb Raider. It's basically a continuous cycle.
Yeah, I think both times the cause is CD/Square/Eidos. With LAU because they were unable to make TR "modern" without losing the appeal of the classics and with Reboot it's their fault for dropping all pretense of even trying.
__________________
.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 18:43   #356
jhons0529
Historian
 
jhons0529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London
Posts: 388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
That's a good point. LAU may have veered far from Tomb Raider in both Lara Croft and the gameplay, but it's packaged in a way that resembles Tomb Raider and maintained a lot of Lara's trademarks: shorts, dual pistols, backpak, so in that sense it felt a lot closer for sure.

The reboot both looks and feels like a completely different IP in more ways than not. If it were under a different name people would closer liken it to Uncharted than actually Tomb Raider I'd imagine.
Yep, pretty much. With LAU we could work in much more easy manner to still make it satisfactory to classic fans since it still had much more common ground. The current era has strayed in such a way that it would be much more problematic to do whilst keeping everyone happy.
Its quite the predicament actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
What about your whole spat with Anita and the huge drama you've created out of it both on Twitter, here, and youtube? Writing down this kind of stuff is cute and all, but putting words into action is a whole different thing. You felt what she was saying wasn't correct or wasn't fair, and you made a huge deal out of it. You did not "buck up, buttercup" about the stuff she was saying

I do read your advice as telling me to be submissive. You're basically telling me I should shut up and accept people telling me that I have low standards, or that the games I love aren't real TR or real Lara because they say so and I shouldn't reply, but you're the first person to reply back if this type of claim and patronizing posts are made the other way around in regards to Classic TR and Lara. I think the better advice would be to tell people who say "it's not real Lara" or "not real TR" and change something patronizing to something that comes of as an actual opinion "it's not the version I like", or "It's not Lara/TR to me"

Honestly, I don't think there's much more I can say to explain my PoV on this, because I feel like I've been repeating the same stuff over and over now
They're not telling you to sit down and take it, she's encouraging you to express yourself but to stop at every twist and turn trying to make yourself out to be a victim or claiming everyone is toxic and being unreasonable, its not that complicated. There's a very different atmosphere when two people are discussing a topic compared to when one parson in the conversation is constantly feeling offended by the topics at hand despite not being attacked intentionally in any way.

The whole "buck up, buttercup" is simply about not taking things so personally.

Rather than lashing out at everyone or crying with everyone try to have stability. Its what most people like, and responding is fine as long as you're reasonable.
__________________
Hope only brings disappointment. It's a fact.
jhons0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 18:44   #357
Vaskito
Relic Hunter
 
Vaskito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Portugal
Posts: 7,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
You mean the video I made showing my viewpoint about Lara Croft and also saying I respected Anita's efforts and what she tries to do for women even thought I disagree?

Oh, right.

Also that is not TRF, I made a video on my own YouTube channel and shared on my own social media my opinion about Lara Croft, I did not make a personal video about Anita.
Making a vid, and a condescending posts about her way of thinking, coming at TRF, dismissing factual evidence that she's right to some degree, and getting personal about it is the absolute opposite of "buck up, buttercup" - that's my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
But go on. I won't tell you how to live your life, play victim and find reason to be offended by people having different opinions than you on a video game. Have fun with that
I'm talking about something that literally happens in here and most people who are active on the forums are aware of. Many of the LAU and reboot fans were (and are from time to time) insulted with the "low standards" stuff and the "it's not real TR/Lara" stuff, and yet you're opting to victim shaming instead. It always goes back to hypocrisy basically.

There's no point of continuing the discussion. I've already said what I wanted to say, you disagree, and this is now a circular argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
Not "blaming", I shouldn't have used that word. Just a matter of cause and consequence with no judgment for the good or for the bad. The fans are divided because of a drastic change in the games that was brought forth by the publisher/devs..
That could be true, but from a business PoV, something had to be done. It will always be impossible to please everyone, even if they continued the classic formula. And we don't know if would bring many people or not into the franchise (my personal guess is that it would not, and a shake up was in need). They've managed to bring more fans into the franchise, so that's a positive note. And TR was made big too after the modest LAU era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
Yeah, I think both times the cause is CD/Square/Eidos. With LAU because they were unable to make TR "modern" without losing the appeal of the classics and with Reboot it's their fault for dropping all pretense of even trying.
I disagree with this assessment. If anything, LAU was more in line with having a lesser pretense of trying to make something new and fresh. I think LAU was amazing, but it was too safe, and constrainted to having a similar way of the classics (even if it's a simplified one in gameplay). Reboot has actual hard work and attention put into it. They've made their own vision of the franchise, and took a big risk in doing so. Not every reboot can gloat about that kind of success
__________________
Why must we fall apart to understand how to fly

Last edited by Vaskito; Today at 19:03.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 19:06   #358
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter
 
Tombraider95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In Rafe Adler's Bed... with Ryan Gosling.
Posts: 8,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
And that is why you had this all argument with Vaskito, no? Because you bucked up, buttercup, no?
lol that reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
At some point if you find yourself offended all the time, you gotta look inward and develop some thicker skin. Nobody is being picked on more than others, nobody is babying their opinions for others either. There are things said here that would bother everyone if we let them, but instead of asking everyone to sugarcoat every critique they have, maybe stop taking someone's opinion about a game as an insult and lash out into a personal attack derailing entire threads on a regular basis.

At some point you just gotta buck up, buttercup. Unless someone is personally attacking you deliberately, get over it, it's just opinions on a video game. And if they are attacking you personally, report them
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
I’m not going to argue that some Classic fans have elitist attitudes but the same negativity comes from the other side as well. There are some Reboot fans that say just as hyperbolic things as Classic fans.

“She’s just big boobs.” “She was only made for young boys to play with.” “She has no personality and therefore is meaningless.” “Everything in the game was built for males.” “She was only liked for her body.” “Real women wouldn’t wear that ever if they had any ounce of self respect.” “She’s so dull and boring. Nothing ever happens with her.” “She’s a murdering psychopath.” “She’s an ice queen who never cared about anyone else.”

Everything you think Classic fans are guilty of the same can be allied to Reboot fans as well. If you feel like you’re attacked for liking something that is considered low IQ or a baby game then Congratulations! I’ve also felt like I’ve been attacked for it being insinuated that I’m some sort of pervert for liking Classic Lara.

Now going back to what I said before, you have two options when someone expresses their opinions no matter how personal they are.
You can ignore it or you can try to fight it. Clearly, fighting over opinions is what TRF has done for years at this point and it doesn’t matter in the end.

We should really try to respect one another or ignore and get over it.
Missed these great posts! I very much agree!
__________________
Sweetheart, being gay is the best excuse you'll ever have for not being boring.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 19:14   #359
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist
 
paulojr_mam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhons0529 View Post
Yep, pretty much. With LAU we could work in much more easy manner to still make it satisfactory to classic fans since it still had much more common ground. The current era has strayed in such a way that it would be much more problematic to do whilst keeping everyone happy.
Its quite the predicament actually.
Yes! The divide might have started during LAU, but now the devs have made it extreme. Adjustments could have made LAU what they wanted, which is "TR but more modern". They could've made a TR in that vein that was a perfect bridge between old and new. Now the divide is so big, because the games are so different, that it's impossible to perfectly bridge that. And that is why a bridge between old and new now would be one where everyone gives up something they love so that everyone can like the same game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
I disagree with this assessment. If anything, LAU was more in line with having a lesser pretense of trying to make something new and fresh. I think LAU was amazing, but it was too safe, and constrainted to having a similar way of the classics (even if it's a simplified one in gameplay). Reboot has actual hard work and attention put into it. They've made their own vision of the franchise, and took a big risk in doing so. Not every reboot can gloat about that kind of success
That is not the pretense I was referring to. I was talking about the pretense of trying to make a game that fits within this franchise.
__________________
.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 21:16   #360
TrustyBow
Professor
 
TrustyBow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I think we all should just grab nice snickers bars and repeat to ourselves that it's just a game.
Or...

__________________
Icon of the Tomb Raider: Iconography Returns for Iconic Icon
TrustyBow is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 21:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.