Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 23-05-21, 18:14   #31
CircusBabysGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan View Post
First some trivia, did you know that all loading screens in TRL have two different versions - one for 4:3 displays and the other for widescreen. The differences can be seen by toggling the widescreen option in graphic settings.

On a related note, take a look at the Mission Prep page which is seen between levels. The image of the manor library is stretched because there is only a 4:3 version. No widescreen version exists.

I've edited the texture to add vertical black bars to both sides of the image. This is called the pillarbox effect. The library image is now scaled correctly on widescreen display.

I didnt know this was a glitch! It always looked perfectly fine to me!
CircusBabysGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-21, 19:49   #32
tomee

Quote:
Thank you

Update:

A few weeks ago Caesum raised the issue of Lara's hair looking like a pixelated mess so I wanted to try and tackle this.

[IMG ]https://64.media.tumblr.com/a65d1bfba27b528520880c69ad0c9b73/42c146316619711a-4b/s1280x1920/6a73bf7b7c23b8d14e1179c2d356e8799eb9e15e.png[/IMG]

The pixelated look of Lara's hair is now greatly reduced. This was done by applying gaussian blur effect to the hair texture. All Lara models have been updated with this change, but not Amanda since I don't see any issues on her.
Yes all the way to this. Always felt the way her hair was so "streaky" looked a little weird compared to how detailed everything else is. This edit looks so much better.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-21, 20:52   #33
Heckler

I'm loving these improvements. They really make everything look more polished Always preferred the look of the old-gen/PS2 version of the game. Next gen features looked too out of place and plastic. Anniversary did a better job with the next-gen look on consoles.

Especially love what you did with her hair and the vines. Those are things that have always bothered me a bit. I hope someday we'll be able to edit meshes in Legend and Anniversary as the models are mirrored heavily and asymmetry really adds to making things look more organic.
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-21, 08:58   #34
ATombRaiderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxel View Post
Amaaazing. I love seeing fixes
I think we all do

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircusBabysGal View Post
I didnt know this was a glitch! It always looked perfectly fine to me!
Personally I noticed it before creating this thread but completely forgot about it until later on. (Edit: I mean to say it's not a very noticable issue.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
Yes all the way to this. Always felt the way her hair was so "streaky" looked a little weird compared to how detailed everything else is. This edit looks so much better.
Thank you. The hair texture have very thin strands which is why it looks pixely on Lara's head when viewing her model from a distance.

Update: Turns out the issue is caused by lack of mipmaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
I'm loving these improvements. They really make everything look more polished Always preferred the look of the old-gen/PS2 version of the game. Next gen features looked too out of place and plastic. Anniversary did a better job with the next-gen look on consoles.

Especially love what you did with her hair and the vines. Those are things that have always bothered me a bit. I hope someday we'll be able to edit meshes in Legend and Anniversary as the models are mirrored heavily and asymmetry really adds to making things look more organic.
I'm with you on the preference for old gen Legend. The deal-breaker for me is the fact that old gen looks like a cartoon, which I rather like, and it's also consistent with the cartoon style of Anniversary.

It would be great if it becomes possible to edit the meshes - the first thing I would like to see addressed is Lara's bewildering ponytail physics.

Last edited by ATombRaiderFan; 27-08-21 at 14:18.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 01:27   #35
LateRaider
Inactive

her ponytail physics are fine to me... oh hang on.

so, a problem with TR:L and TR:A is you need to force vsync on via your gfx card, or else hair (And other similar objects that "flow" with movement) won't react properly and just blow straight back at the slightest movement. it's weird
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 06:43   #36
ATombRaiderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
her ponytail physics are fine to me... oh hang on.
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/ima.../separator.gif
so, a problem with TR:L and TR:A is you need to force vsync on via your gfx card, or else hair (And other similar objects that "flow" with movement) won't react properly and just blow straight back at the slightest movement. it's weird
Yup it's like Lara is in a wind tunnel every time she moves with vsync off. I don't mind using vysnc btw, I was thinking it's the way Lara's ponytail tries to shake free (clipping?) rather than move fluidly with the rest of her model during cutscenes. Reunion with Amanda is one of the cutscenes I can recall this happening.

Last edited by ATombRaiderFan; 03-06-21 at 06:47.
Old 04-06-21, 07:24   #37
ANoDE
Golden

Exactly, having VSync Off on high framerates will lead to this:
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=224787
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-21, 12:22   #38
ATombRaiderFan

Default Update 1.5

Hi again, another small change and it's King Arthur. This update resolves texture issues that are visible during "The Final Piece" cutscene.

See image below.
  • Vertical split down the face, just like the Anniversary issues, is now gone.
  • Removed the light coloured edge at the side of the face (new: and top of the face).
  • The split down the middle of the chest armour is also removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
Exactly, having VSync Off on high framerates will lead to this:
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=224787
Must be all the ghosts tugging at Lara's hair, she does spend a lot of time in the tombs after all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	0
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	3637  

Last edited by ATombRaiderFan; 04-03-24 at 12:24.
Old 01-07-21, 08:54   #39
MachoBroccoli

Quote:
You're very welcome and it was my pleasure to do this. Thank you for suggesting that this mod is worthy of pcgamingwiki

BTW this mod has been updated with an improvement to the Rutland profile fix. As a demonstration I've coloured the rectangle part of the texture (top left) which affects the pc screen, in green. You can see in the screenshot below that the desk legs and hanging lights are also affected. This is how the Rutland fix previously worked, but with transparency.

The new fix goes further and nails down the exact pixels within the rectangle area of the texture which affects the pc screen, and again coloured green as a demonstration. There are still tiny parts of the desk legs and hanging lights affected by this. See in the second screenshot.

I think this is an acceptable trade-off because Rutland's profile picture is an important plot point. Download links have been updated to Version 1.1.

[Edit] Just to summarize the changes above. Basically the pc screen, hanging lighting and desk legs use the same part of the texture which is the black rectangle. This part needs to be changed to a blank alpha image so that Rutland's profile is visible during the cutscene. But this also makes the desk legs and hanging lights become transparent. I've identified the small area within the black rectangle which almost exclusively affects the pc screen, and hence the other objects are largely unaffected now.
I'm glad you were able to further improve upon this fix, as I have to admit I was kinda fumbling in the dark a lot with what I was doing

EDIT: Also, I'm likely being dumb but does these fixes come in DRM file flavours?

Last edited by MachoBroccoli; 01-07-21 at 09:00.
MachoBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-21, 17:09   #40
ATombRaiderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoBroccoli View Post
I'm glad you were able to further improve upon this fix, as I have to admit I was kinda fumbling in the dark a lot with what I was doing

EDIT: Also, I'm likely being dumb but does these fixes come in DRM file flavours?
Hey! I'm afraid there's no DRM files this time, sorry. This project was very time consuming so I ended up prioritising texmod early on.

I'm pleased that you like the Rutland profile fix improvement. I couldn't have done it without studying your fix first