Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 20-06-21, 16:09   #21
justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
No I am actually serious. I find these projects to not be very visually appealing (terrible texturing and lighting) and also have horrendously obscure gameplay.
Aha my bad! Are these the worst you've played or simply overrated?

Worst I played was either Horus's first level or Bedazzled first level (but they weren't terrible, I just don't play many levels).
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-21, 16:25   #22
.snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
Aha my bad! Are these the worst you've played or simply overrated?

Worst I played was either Horus's first level or Bedazzled first level (but they weren't terrible, I just don't play many levels).
Well I'm not even going to count stuff like Cain's work (which is an obvious troll) or Circus Babys Gal's (which isn't even tested by the own builder) or Lara in a Box which is another joke level. Sure, there is bad and unplayable stuff out there, but what's the point of even talking about some of those?

I think certain projects by Big-Name builders out there, which score 10/10/10/10 marks are truly overrated and often receive those marks primarily due to the TRLE sub-culture and cliques. If a project has been worked on and anticipated for many many years by someone who has released 10 projects prior over the years, then it is automatically going to score the highest, even if the game itself is... terrible.

For example, Richard Lawther is one of my favorite builders. I LOVE his ideas and sense of humor. However, some of his environments are textured and lit worse than anything Cain ever created, and the gameplay is often so insanely difficult, the experience is no longer fun (even for pros). And yet, top 10 marks across the board in those categories.

Another person here mentioned GMac's levels. Those have a history too of being very good quality, however if we face facts: he's been re-releasing the same level(s) over and over again with slight modifications and Lara trapped in some purgatory/hell-dimension as she battles the Imprisoned Spirits "Thlymedykes" (GMac's re-spelling of 'slimy dykes' and subliminal anti-gay messaging) over and over and over again. It's like he's trapped in the very hell dimension he created for his games...
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-21, 16:57   #23
Kubsy

deleted...

Last edited by Kubsy; 20-06-21 at 17:03.
Kubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-21, 17:05   #24
Teone

I understand your point, snake

For example, I hate Taras games. They are impossible to play and they are all three in the HoF with enthusiastic comments.

About GMac... yes, we can consider him a sort of Franky, but with a better reputation.
Anyway I don't understand the 'slimy dykes' thing and the subliminal messages you are talking about.
Teone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-21, 17:40   #25
justin

I won't even open up the can of worms there, but you make solid points about reputation.

I think I should be thankful my levels mostly have appropriate scores
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-21, 18:07   #26
.snake.

I wont get into the 'slimy dykes' can of worms here, but if you want to know just send me a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teone View Post
For example, I hate Taras games. They are impossible to play and they are all three in the HoF with enthusiastic comments.
Yes, Taras would be another perfect example. Let's just ignore the sometimes impossible gameplay (at least it comes with a warning) and pretend that part is do-able or something one enjoys: a lot of rooms have choppy texturing and ZERO lighting and STILL score a 10 in these categories.

http://www.trle.net/screens/large/1995e.jpg

I mean come on, that is literally the 128/128/128 standard room editor lighting. And yet... Hall of Fame.

To each their own...

Last edited by .snake.; 20-06-21 at 18:16.
Old 20-06-21, 18:39   #27
ColeMoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroTheGamer View Post
what talking about:TR AOD Revised levels?

these custom was the most ridiculous I've ever played, there's nothing with AOD just a bunch of stretched rooms and no aesthetics, besides being totally ugly and meaningless.
It was made by a 12 year old kid and literally says sorry if it’s rubbish on the first one. What did you expect ?
ColeMoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-21, 18:45   #28
Kubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMoles View Post
It was made by a 12 year old kid and literally says sorry if it’s rubbish on the first one. What did you expect ?
Now he's probably 24 I wonder if he comes back
Kubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-21, 19:02   #29
HaniHeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
and ZERO lighting and STILL score a 10 in these categories.

http://www.trle.net/screens/large/1995e.jpg

I mean come on, that is literally the 128/128/128 standard room editor lighting. And yet... Hall of Fame.
This is not necessarily bad lighting, just simpler, some people like it that way.

You may not like this style but... universally, for Hall of Fame, that isn't the case, you're confusing things.

Last edited by HaniHeger; 20-06-21 at 19:09.
HaniHeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-21, 19:04   #30
.snake.

Don't worry, I'm aware my opinion isn't the status quo. But it is an opinion never-the-less, and who knows, maybe more people actually feel this way secretly? I'm not suggesting everything in the HOF needs to be re-evaluated, the mainstream consensus will always be what it is, and that's fine. If people like that sort of 'simpler lighting' look (I would say zero lighting and atmosphere) than that is their prerogative of course