Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 02-09-19, 18:19   #11
Cochrane
Golden

Some things to disagree with in these videos:

Tomb Raider:

- How can you go through that entire game and notice that her name is Lara, not Laura? Nothing against Lauras, some of my favourite comic book characters are Lauras, but come on, man. *Ding*
- The WW2 history of the island is all about Japanese soldiers, not German ones. Which should be obvious from the fact that this is mentioned in collectibles, and that this Island is somewhere in south-east Asia. *Ding*
- Doesn't comment on the absurdity of the the pantry full of body parts *Ding*
- Says the literal underground lake of blood is cool instead of ridiculous *Ding*
- Says "ancestors" when it means "descendants" *Ding*

Rise of the Tomb Raider:

- Not a single mention of "I've got to…"? *Ding*
- I've forgotten most of that game so I'm just assuming they got everything important right.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider:

- Planes, including small ones, don't generally carry parachutes. Expecting parachutes there makes no sense. *Ding*
- Of course Jonah is there instead of Sam. Remember Sam? She was utterly incompetent at literally everything. *Ding*
- The narrator of this video sounds like a smug synthetic voice with a cold. *Ding*
- I think I'm supposed to point out that Trinity was actually introduced in a vague letter you apparently got if you found every collectible in the first game, but I'm inclined to let that one slide because what sort of idiot tries to get 100% completion in the first place?

Everything else I agree with. Of course that doesn't mean much; the defining feature of "everything wrong with" videos is that they make points that are funny and/or correct, but deliberately only sometimes actually relevant or important.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 18:54   #12
Legends

Yes, I agree with them, and there's a lot of sins they didn't mention. The reboot trilogy is just a stupid mess that makes pretty much no sense.

Last edited by Legends; 02-09-19 at 18:56.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 18:58   #13
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
Some things to disagree with in these videos:

Tomb Raider:

- How can you go through that entire game and notice that her name is Lara, not Laura? Nothing against Lauras, some of my favourite comic book characters are Lauras, but come on, man. *Ding*
- The WW2 history of the island is all about Japanese soldiers, not German ones. Which should be obvious from the fact that this is mentioned in collectibles, and that this Island is somewhere in south-east Asia. *Ding*
- Doesn't comment on the absurdity of the the pantry full of body parts *Ding*
- Says the literal underground lake of blood is cool instead of ridiculous *Ding*
- Says "ancestors" when it means "descendants" *Ding*

Rise of the Tomb Raider:

- Not a single mention of "I've got to…"? *Ding*
- I've forgotten most of that game so I'm just assuming they got everything important right.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider:

- Planes, including small ones, don't generally carry parachutes. Expecting parachutes there makes no sense. *Ding*
- Of course Jonah is there instead of Sam. Remember Sam? She was utterly incompetent at literally everything. *Ding*
- The narrator of this video sounds like a smug synthetic voice with a cold. *Ding*
- I think I'm supposed to point out that Trinity was actually introduced in a vague letter you apparently got if you found every collectible in the first game, but I'm inclined to let that one slide because what sort of idiot tries to get 100% completion in the first place?

Everything else I agree with. Of course that doesn't mean much; the defining feature of "everything wrong with" videos is that they make points that are funny and/or correct, but deliberately only sometimes actually relevant or important.
Even the narrators sometimes don’t know what they are saying:
Quote:
I heard no Japanese phrase saying “No one leaves!” before the plane crash.
Really?

But he has some strong points. Hence, SE/CD/EM should think twice before saying ‘a realistic, story-driven experience’ because... it’s not. They’ll just get nit-picked forever.

I agree about the videos being naggy... But criticism!
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 19:26   #14
charmedangelin

I don't think they are being baggy or picky, they have a channel based on trying to point out all the flaws they can find and I didn't see where any of them were being unfair, they were mostly pretty accurate to everything I've said about the situation.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 19:47   #15
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Yes, I agree with them, and there's a lot of sins they didn't mention. The reboot trilogy is just a stupid mess that makes pretty much no sense.
Literally a mess, even AoD had a fewer plot holes (nearly non-existant actually) Lara’s origin story drags on and on like a Spanish telenovela, forgetting important plot points and retconing things as it goes!

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 02-09-19 at 19:49.
Old 02-09-19, 19:56   #16
Cochrane
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
But he has some strong points. Hence, SE/CD/EM should think twice before saying ‘a realistic, story-driven experience’ because... it’s not. They’ll just get nit-picked forever.
Let's be honest here: I don't think SE/CD/EM care at all about the nitpicking. Their take on TR has been to make it more grounded and realistic in tone, not actual content. Of course for that to work they would have had to include better writing…

Quote:
I agree about the videos being naggy... But criticism!
Even Zero Punctuation is more valid criticism than this. No, seriously. Everything in these videos is accurate. But you could make videos just as long about TR1 through TRC if you wanted to. Let's just run down the first level of TR2, because it's the one I remember by heart:

- Lara hires a helicopter, but instead of landing on the great wall, she lets herself get dropped into a nearby hole. *Ding*
- And she decided not to bring any of the bigger guns she found in the last game, nor any survival gear. *Ding*
- Do these tigers always live in this hole? What do they eat? *Ding*
- Who places levers to open doors like this? This isn't a trap against enemies, it's the way they leave their tower for inspections. *Ding*
- Ancient mechanism still works perfectly. *Ding*
- Ancient lock still works perfectly. *Ding*
- That rock should weigh roughly sixteen tons at least, but Lara moves it with all the effort involved in moving a heavy Ikea wardrobe. *Ding*
- Rolling boulders, moving spikes, collapsing floor, blades, saw wheels - they're trying to cram in as many Indiana Jones cliches as possible in this level, aren't they? *Ding*
- Who installed that modern zip line there? Was it the enemies? If so, how did they get past the ancient traps on the way here? *Ding*
- Now the dinosaurs are finally truly extinct. At least until TR3. *Ding*
- Apparently tigers are a subterraneous species. *Ding*
- There was no place where this machine-gun wielding mobster could hide. *Ding*
- Ancient Tombs get amazing wifi! *Ding*

Great video games will have all sorts of ridiculous things, because most awesome things are ridiculous and impractical in real life. Pointing that out can be fun if done well, but not necessarily more than just fun.

(This isn't meant as criticism of you or the videos! I like the funny points the videos make and I agree with the serious criticisms that they make as well - they're just missing a few important points.)
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 19:58   #17
Costel

Do I agree with the criticism in 3 videos from a youtube channel known of being specialized in doing this with every popular game?

Do you agree with the criticism in the video regarding God of War? Or Nier Automata? Or Uncharted 4?
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 20:00   #18
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
Do I agree with the criticism in 3 videos from a youtube channel known of being specialized in doing this with every popular game?

Do you agree with the criticism in the video regarding God of War? Or Nier Automata? Or Uncharted 4?
Don’t know GoW or Nier, but I agree with UC:4 too on certain things...
Honestly, the reboots’ stories were ‘meh.’ It was trying to be epic and grand, but the retcons and the plot holes ruined the pleasure..... Not trying to be rude, I’m just picky

@Cochrane
Well, the classics didn’t take themselves too seriously. So it’s a bit unfair comparing them. But these reboot games are ‘cinematic story-driven’ games. If they don’t want the criticism regarding the story problems, then they should just make a light-hearted game with no focus on story, let the game-play shine!

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 02-09-19 at 20:04.
Old 03-09-19, 00:41   #19
Lyle Croft

Quote:
She didn’t even become the Tomb Raider. She became a Shadow of it, tbh. They were right from the beginning when they said forget the old Lara.

This game’s pacing was terrible (‘cause of Paititi) and it didn’t have that ‘grandeur’ charm the previous two had.

Lara’s model got downgraded, because of... Paititi? The game didn’t even need lArGeE hubs, Geothermal Valley was JUST okay.

Jonah is always shoved to the side. What’s his use? Hmmm, let’s see. Help for the bridge puzzle to Kuwaq Yaku, make Lara talk about her parents in campscene, get Lara and Abby together for plot reasons, held captive by Unuratu for plot reasons, disappeared in Porvenir for Lara to rage and... cry ()

Unuratu, Jacob, and Roth were all great supporting characters... that got killed.

Bow forced in 21st century. I understand 2013, but Rise & Shadow? Where you fight an evil military organization that has modern rifles, miniguns, and bombs? It could have been a minor weapon with the pistol focused.

Shorts and dual pistols are unrealistic, but sandals and a dress is.

This is the Reboot’s (Shadow’s ) nitpicking thread tbh. Hahahaaa. If they want to keep this realistic and ultra story-driven approach they need to toughen up their game (pun intended)
Lara wishes she could be Oliver Queen, but the fact is...she's not. + Oliver Queen is HOT!

Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-19, 07:23   #20
killchan

mhh! Do I want to waste 1 full hour of my life listening to 1 guy who tries hard to be a snarky smartass, only to eat his own words a few hours later and justify his stupid nitpicking with "But it's for cOmEdY and eNtErtAinMenT!" ? NO
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote