Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 02-09-19, 11:22   #31
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
TR5Main won't be compatible with TR5 out of the box, should be noted while we're at it. It's intended to be of more general use for custom levels, but it might be possible to port the levels, with some effort and using TR5Main scripting.
But I gather tools like TR5’s tom2pc equivalent can be developed for TR5, supporting its new triggers, with TR5Main?

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 02-09-19 at 11:26.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-19, 06:27   #32
ggctuk

Quote:
TR5Main won't be compatible with TR5 out of the box, should be noted while we're at it. It's intended to be of more general use for custom levels, but it might be possible to port the levels, with some effort and using TR5Main scripting.
Hence my suggestion of a remake using it. Figured a straight-up port wouldn't work.
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-19, 01:46   #33
TRhalloween

I wouldn't care for it. I'm not an expert but the way the game looks is the least of its problems.
TRhalloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-19, 20:01   #34
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Quote:
The problem with TR1-5 remastering, even of the simplest kind, is how the assets are stored, with textures being probably the most difficult to work with. They are scattered across level files and despite the fact many level files share a lot of the tiles, they are still stored separately. That means every single tile would have to be accounted for and replaced per each level file.
All attempts at modding textures we have seen here use the method of swapping the 256x256 pixel texture pages with high-resolution replacements, but this means every tile on each such page has to be replaced one by one... This is exhausting and very likely the reason why the iOS ports texture swaps were never finished (they either run out of time or were simply too tired to continue).
In order to do this in a more efficient way, tools would have to be made to swap out textures across multiple files, as well as models if they were to be modified. This is probably achievable, but requires work and mostly good insight into the games' codebases and file formats. This is more likely to be done by community members, some of which have just the right skill (but might not really have the time) to do this, than by any commercial studio at the request of the IP holder.
Is there another requirement to remaster all of the textures & models besides time to develop an HD remaster for TR5?
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-19, 20:03   #35
Tomb Raidering

People need tools that support TR5 to mod/remaster it ‘besides time’...
Old 17-10-19, 10:58   #36
Caesum

Once TR5Main is released I believe it will be easy to remake the game so it actually looks and plays better.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-19, 11:11   #37
UroshUchiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Once TR5Main is released I believe it will be easy to remake the game so it actually looks and plays better.
I am not following the software development side at all so I'm new to TR5Main. Where can I read more about it? Fixing TR5 issues and even improving it graphically sounds so good to me. That's the only classic game that lacks any mods
UroshUchiha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-19, 11:11   #38
ggctuk

Quote:
Pretty much what I was getting at.

Bonus points in that you won't have to try and repair a rip of one of the levels or build it entirely from scratch - IIRC one of the leaked winroomedit builds for TRC had a backed-up project for Trajan's Markets.
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-19, 11:25   #39
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
When is it going to get public release? Omg, it’s been like a long time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
I am not following the software development side at all so I'm new to TR5Main. Where can I read more about it? Fixing TR5 issues and even improving it graphically sounds so good to me. That's the only classic game that lacks any mods
Here ya go: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=220730

And you’re right about those. Chronicles needs some love....