www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 07-08-18, 09:44   #591
psiko
Archaeologist

Glad you solved
About your question, manual coloring can affect number of vertices using meta2tr. If vertices are welded, and later you color them, with vertices option, no problem. But if you color the FACES, that is the whole polygon at once, this likely will create those multiple colored vertices on next polygons. That's what probably you did coloring sides of those plants pollygons differently
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 11:59   #592
Titak

Ah, yes, I did colour the polygons in some cases.
That's a lot quicker than clicking on every vertex...

The lighting on the plants is acceptable now.
So I don't think I'll need to manually adjust it anymore.
And in case I do want to change it in some places, I'll make sure to go the slow way and click on each vertex.

This is for my One Room level, hence the struggle to keep it within limits but also detailed at the same time.
Old 07-08-18, 15:25   #593
A_De
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiko View Post
Glad you solved
About your question, manual coloring can affect number of vertices using meta2tr. If vertices are welded, and later you color them, with vertices option, no problem. But if you color the FACES, that is the whole polygon at once, this likely will create those multiple colored vertices on next polygons. That's what probably you did coloring sides of those plants pollygons differently
What?
Omg, so there is no way to trick the engine
Looks like this is the same thing like that which happens when you split faces in meta to make so-called "hard edges" or separated normals for adjacent faces
Old 07-08-18, 15:55   #594
Joey79100
Professor

^
By the looks of it, it's exactly what happens actually.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 19:56   #595
teme9
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_De View Post
What?
Omg, so there is no way to trick the engine
Looks like this is the same thing like that which happens when you split faces in meta to make so-called "hard edges" or separated normals for adjacent faces
Vertex can only have one normal. Using hard edges basically "mimics"(in lack of better word/explanation) of two separate vertices to create that hard edge thus creating additional vertices even though they're connected to each other. Here's a picture to clarify it a bit: http://wiki.polycount.com/w/images/e...Soft_doc-3.png
teme9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-18, 05:25   #596
A_De
Archaeologist

^ Yes, I'm aware of that thing, thanks
Guess you used this trick for making emeralds for your Frozen Throne?
I'm using this method too, mostly to make movable items to have proper lighting, i.e. pushable blocks. This method suitable only for low-polys because it increases vertex count.
And seems that metasequoia does split vertices automaticly when applying the polygon/apex lighting.
Old 12-08-18, 08:24   #597
teme9
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_De View Post
^ Yes, I'm aware of that thing, thanks
Guess you used this trick for making emeralds for your Frozen Throne?
I'm using this method too, mostly to make movable items to have proper lighting, i.e. pushable blocks. This method suitable only for low-polys because it increases vertex count.
And seems that metasequoia does split vertices automaticly when applying the polygon/apex lighting.
Correct! I used this with the emeralds. Sadly there are downsides to this method like the increased vertex count and vertices getting separated from each other by the water waving effect (especially if you're under water).

But it really is worth it if you're using dynamic lighting on objects. Editing normals for the meshes can create a huge difference! Especially with grass/foliage

Also one less used/talked method is to use area weighted normals for the meshes: http://wiki.polycount.com/w/images/5/59/Wnormals.png

It really makes things look better if you're using small bevels for edges
teme9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-18, 10:12   #598
LoreRaider
Archaeologist

Is it possible to have the wave water effect in horizon meshes? I did followed the tutorial about changing the weight of the verticles at 0.10 or 0.30, but in game they don't move :/
Perhaps this works only on room geometry and objects merged into the room?
Old 21-08-18, 14:36   #599
Titak

It only works on roomgeometry as far as I know.

Like shine, which only works on animating objects and not on roomgeometry, unfortunately...
Old 09-09-18, 12:07   #600
LoreRaider
Archaeologist

^ I imagined that (btw I've forgot to reply )

I have another problem, I'm following the tutorial for moving the leaves in my level (simulating the waves effect) so I select every verticle of the objects that I want to have the effect, and put 0.10, or 0.30, but when I import the Roomall.mqo file back, that effect doesn't work in game, the objects are merged into the geometry with the MapMergelist.txt file, so I guess it's not that the issue
Someone had this problem tho? Either 3.1 and 4 versions have this problem on my laptop
Here's the tutorial I've been talking about: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=196545
P.S. I'm not using the "New_plant" object tip, because that's for being faster on apply the effect on them

Last edited by LoreRaider; 09-09-18 at 12:09.
LoreRaider is online now   Reply With Quote