Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 06-05-10, 17:37   #21
TheBloodRed

Explain more in depth what happens. The three windows are perfectly okay.

-TR1 Game booting(and checking for disc)
-DOSBOX config
-DOSBOX starting up.

After those do their things, all but the TR1 game one go away. The DOSBOX one full screens then closes and a Core status window will appear and the TR1 Game one will fullscreen.
--

This is the way it should work. What CD-ROM drive are you running it from? If it isn't the lowest letter(A lowest, Z highest) then there may be trouble connecting with the disc.
Is it giving you the "Please, insert Tomb Raider 1 cdrom and start anew." message??

You may need to mount your disc drive to another, but no need to mess with that unless you really need it. It is a simple fix, but can get annoying. xD

EDIT: To save time, I put the fix for it up for all to see!!

To mount a drive as another one so DOSBOX will read the disc:

Run DOSBOX from the install folder.

In the command console type:

mount e c:\ -t cdrom

*Where "e" is the drive your CD-ROM is really in. (mine is drive E but yours may be different)
*Where "c:\" is the drive the patch is looking for the disc. (C is the highest so I suggest it)

Hit enter and it should give you a message that "e" has been mounted as "c". Type "exit" and hit enter.

Run the TR1 exe and watch DOSBOX load up your game!

Last edited by TheBloodRed; 06-05-10 at 17:48.
TheBloodRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 18:08   #22
dutchrheeren

Thank you for quick response, I hope somebody can help me:

I only have one CD/DVD drive, called F: (C, D and E are hard disk partitions, and I have no A or B drive).

When I try to run TR1 or UB, I never get any message like: "Please insert the CD-ROM".

It is like I said: when I click the TR1 or UB executables (or the shortcuts on my desktop), the three windows open, and the two DosBox windows immediately close.

The DosBox one shortly displays an orange DosBox logo, then goes blank, and closes, all in less than a second but it never goes full screen.

Together with the DosBox window, the DosBox config window also closes: neither of them go full screen before closing.

The third window called Tomb Raider stays open, even after the two DosBox windows have closed. But the Tomb Raider window also never goes full screen.

When the two DosBox windows are closed, the Tomb Raider window just has a black DOS screen with a blinking underscore _ and nothing else. It stays that way until I force it to close.

I tried to mount my CD-ROM drive like you said in your edit of your post, but instead of:
Quote:
mount e c:\ -t cdrom
I used:
Quote:
mount f c:\ -t cdrom
because my drive is F

After that, DosBox says:
Quote:
MSCDEX: Mounted subdirectory: limited support
Drive F is mounted as CDRom c:\
I type exit and conform to exit DosBox.

But still when I try to run the installed TR1 or UB, none of the windows go full screen, the two DosBox windows immediately close, and the Tomb Raider 1 stays open but does nothing. So unfortunately, that solution didn't work for me...
dutchrheeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 18:26   #23
TheBloodRed

It shouldn't just do nothing. It doesn't even give a message? Insane. O-o;;

Let me do some tests and see what I can find out. Are you sure you have all the files you need to run the game? (especially the .bin and .cue files!!)

EDIT: Oh, and maybe a screenshot would be nice too. xD

Last edited by TheBloodRed; 06-05-10 at 18:36.
Old 06-05-10, 19:28   #24
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodRed View Post
What CD-ROM drive are you running it from? If it isn't the lowest letter(A lowest, Z highest) then there may be trouble connecting with the disc.
Is it giving you the "Please, insert Tomb Raider 1 cdrom and start anew." message??

You may need to mount your disc drive to another, but no need to mess with that unless you really need it. It is a simple fix, but can get annoying. xD

EDIT: To save time, I put the fix for it up for all to see!!

To mount a drive as another one so DOSBOX will read the disc:

Run DOSBOX from the install folder.
BloodRed, my installer from v0.1 on just self detects the correct cdrom letter
no need to mount any other drive, even if it was "right",
much less to run dosbox from the folder I make it use

what you're suggesting may generally be valid for a plain, standard dosbox installation, I say generally because the mount syntax is all wrong
but I sure won't recommend anyone to play with my setup this way, not because it's "forbidden" but because I don't expect that to be feasible/promising in the least
if anything, I suggest to try and rebuild a dosbox installation from scratch (and to a different folder)

Last edited by gidierre; 06-05-10 at 20:06.
gidierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 19:28   #25
EscondeR

dutchrheeren, if the advice right above helps not for some reason, create a separate thread in Technical Support for your issue, run Diagnose.exe and include the report in your post.
EscondeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 19:34   #26
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchrheeren View Post
I only have one CD/DVD drive
When I try to run TR1 or UB, I never get any message like: "Please insert the CD-ROM".
because the cd drive is identified right so the program needn't get to that warning msg
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchrheeren View Post
I tried to mount my CD-ROM drive like [TheBloodRed] said ---
But still when I try to run the installed TR1 or UB, none of the windows go full screen, the two DosBox windows immediately close, and the Tomb Raider 1 stays open but does nothing. So unfortunately, that solution didn't work for me...
as I said, manually tweaking the cdrom mounting can't possibly work
surely not within the framework of my installer(s)

let's take a big step back instead
first uninstall everything related to all my installers (start menu or control panel)
now I need to know your hardware/software specs first

please post a diagnose.exe report.

EDIT
btw as you wrote
Quote:
After that, DosBox says:
Quote:
MSCDEX: Mounted subdirectory: limited support
Drive F is mounted as CDRom c:\
this alone is completely wrong and will break all routines I made
a mscdex mounted subdirectory is just doomed
IOW dosbox *seems* to interpret your hdd as a cdrom drive, understand?
the reason this is broken is simply that the mount command syntax doesn't work that way

(you can found info in the dosbox readme
"mount a b"
any other flags aside
means you mount b as a and not a as b, OK?)

mount d f:\ -t cdrom
comes closer to what dosbox expects to parse, but it's useless to try because you see my installer already implements that, only it does transparently so you aren't supposed to bother

again either you post a diagnose.exe report or describe your full drives' (HDD, cdrom & Co.) layout
or I wouldn't know how to help you.

Last edited by gidierre; 06-05-10 at 22:48.
gidierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 23:40   #27
TheBloodRed

Wink

I know it is supposed to but for my PC it did not.

I was assuming that this person has the same issue.

(if you need any tech specs or anything to see if you can better your patch and I'll give it to ya)
Old 09-05-10, 14:01   #28
Chug a Bug

Nice job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_carroll View Post
Are you implying there's some way to run TR2 besides leaving the disk in the drive all the time? If so, what do you do?
Not much point as the audio tracks are on the CD so no CD, no music, cutscene audio, etc. Same with TR1.

As for the other games... no comment. Well, none allowed, anyway.
Chug a Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 21:43   #29
rr_carroll
Bug Scientist

Since I often want to research something in a bit of the game, I wouldn't care about sounds. But I assume the original author was thinking that since the Multipatch lets you play TR3 without a disk that the same is true for TR2. It's not.
rr_carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 21:49   #30
TheBloodRed

Meh, I play TR3 with the disc and it takes a few seconds of hearing the CD drive load up and read(game frozen during all of this) just to get an audio playing. Quite annoying but at least I get audio. @_@

As for TR, I get no sound even with the disc so it doesn't matter to me.