Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 20-06-20, 19:01   #11
Kapu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
The PAL versions of TR II onwards run at the same speed as the NTSC versions, but still at 25 FPS, so the experience is still inferior.
Do you know if TR2 onward takes advantage of the additional resolution that PAL offers over NTSC? I understand that, at full resolution, PAL has approximately 20% more lines than NTSC. Most PS1 games render at around 240p-ish from what I gather, but it varies by title.

My thought is that, even though TR on PAL has 5 fewer frames per second, perhaps it has a slightly larger resolution than its NTSC counterparts? Though to be frank, I think a difference of 5 fps and (potentially) a few extra lines of resolution would be negligible to most viewers.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-20, 16:59   #12
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
Do you know if TR2 onward takes advantage of the additional resolution that PAL offers over NTSC? I understand that, at full resolution, PAL has approximately 20% more lines than NTSC. Most PS1 games render at around 240p-ish from what I gather, but it varies by title.

My thought is that, even though TR on PAL has 5 fewer frames per second, perhaps it has a slightly larger resolution than its NTSC counterparts? Though to be frank, I think a difference of 5 fps and (potentially) a few extra lines of resolution would be negligible to most viewers.
If I’m correct some TR3 betas run at 720x576 / 640x480, which was the planned resolution in development - before decreasing it back to 320x240. If only the game was released with double the resolution that would have been great (I also remember the flare effects on the TR3 betas looking much better than the final).

The difference of 5 FPS I reckon is noticeable to many, but the extra lines I don’t think anybody would notice.

Last edited by TombHackR; 21-06-20 at 17:00.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-20, 22:22   #13
Greatest TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
If I’m correct some TR3 betas run at 720x576 / 640x480, which was the planned resolution in development - before decreasing it back to 320x240. If only the game was released with double the resolution that would have been great (I also remember the flare effects on the TR3 betas looking much better than the final).

The difference of 5 FPS I reckon is noticeable to many, but the extra lines I don’t think anybody would notice.
I know that German version for TR3 on PS1 has a higher resolution. I seen it somewhere on here 10 years ago. Correct me if im wrong though.
Greatest TR is offline   Reply With Quote