www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 01-08-20, 19:03   #6531
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Matharoo View Post
What is the story behind the Indiana Jones version? Was it like an easter egg or playable character or a rebrand of the game?
The latter. When the Anniversary Edition was cancelled, Core tried to pitch the game to LucasArts as an Indiana Jones game.
Old 01-08-20, 20:12   #6532
Reggie
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
All that means for sure is that they have access to the same source textures, not that the companies were exchanging assets. You can find the high quality source textures from some classic games on google.
That's cool. Has anyone kept a collection of the source textures together?
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-20, 21:24   #6533
Zebra
Legend

I believe it was also once mentioned that Core would sometimes scan photos from books to use as textures. They could get away with that, I suppose, because the textures were so low-res that you couldn't see the print/scan artefacts (and also because, apparently, the copyright holders didn't know or care about it ). Not related to them using some of the same textures as Crystal (that's almost certainly down to them both using sites like textures.com) but it's a fun factoid that always makes me chuckle.
Old 01-08-20, 22:45   #6534
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

It would have been so funny to have an Indiana Jones game made by Core since they got so "inspired" by it to create TR !
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-20, 00:35   #6535
Niveus
Professor

These screenshots are wonderful.

Last edited by Niveus; 02-08-20 at 01:32.
Niveus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-20, 02:16   #6536
Kapu
Professor

Thank you Ashka for the regular updates and media, and also Caesum for sharing those screenshots. "The Lost Plateau" looks so beautiful. It may be low poly/low res, but the colors and lighting just bring it all together. PS2 era Crystal D could never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermahn View Post
This looks identical to an idle animation in TRL. You can't tell me that CrystalD didn't know about this remake with all of the random TRL assets in the game.
Crystal definitely did by the end of the project, but AFAIK they didn't share anything with Core. Core mimicking Crystal's Lara model and animations was to keep the game consistent with TRL, so not to confuse players and also keep SCi on board (or so one of the Core people said in one of those numerous interviews). Though that ultimately failed and SCi moved the project to Crystal anyway.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-20, 04:25   #6537
BlueCake
Student

I'm not pissed that CrystalD made the game get cancelled, i'm pissed they clearly didn't re-use those asssets for their TRA. Like, why? They had an almost complete game, couldn't they finish what Core started? It's a crime all these assets went down the drain pipe.
BlueCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-20, 05:49   #6538
ATombRaiderFan
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
The latter. When the Anniversary Edition was cancelled, Core tried to pitch the game to LucasArts as an Indiana Jones game.
The screenshots of Natla's Mines with the Nazi flag and crates could be because Core started to repackage TRAE as an Indiana Jones game instead. Still I rather liked the idea of an abandoned long lost Nazi base that Natla had simply taken over.

Last edited by ATombRaiderFan; 02-08-20 at 05:51.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-20, 14:55   #6539
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCake View Post
I'm not pissed that CrystalD made the game get cancelled, i'm pissed they clearly didn't re-use those asssets for their TRA. Like, why? They had an almost complete game, couldn't they finish what Core started? It's a crime all these assets went down the drain pipe.
pride, I guess ?
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-20, 15:09   #6540
Zebra
Legend

Loads of reasons, I think. For one, from what I've read, part of the scheme to get Core's game cancelled was for Crystal to pitch a competing remake. If they had just taken Core's game and finished it, Eidos could've just let Core finish. One of Crystal's arguments for why they should handle the project seems to have been that it'd be a good idea to have all entries in the series be made at the same studio to make sure the series would feel more cohesive. To make that argument they started work on their own game (before Core's was cancelled). Presumably, by the time they might've gotten access to Core's assets (if they ever did), they had already put a considerable amount of time and effort into their own game.

Another aspect would've undoubtedly been the technology. Core's game was running on an entirely different engine and using entirely different tools requiring different workflows. Crystal would not have been familiar with these (just like Core would not have been familiar with Crystal's tools and engine) and it would've taken quite some time to get everyone at Crystal to a point where they'd be as comfortable with Core's tech as they were with their own.

Last but not least, I think there may have been a certain sense of superiority. I've gotten the impression over the years that some people at Crystal (at least back in the day) had a somewhat dismissive attitude towards Core which was probably founded in how badly AoD's development was handled. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason why they wanted to make their own game was simply that they thought they'd be able to do a better job.