Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 12-10-19, 14:25   #11
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
I don't think she behaved like a b*tch to be honest. She just didn't have any time or desire to fool around. She's being chased nonstop. And as far as I know she only acts cruel to those of whom she knows they're scum anyway.

She's friendly towards Janice for example, a little further in the conversation.
You’re right actually. She wasn’t taking it to the extremes, she was actually quite nice to people (Janice [later on], Pierre [at the start ], the herbalist, Mlle. Carvier, Kurtis [at the Louvre, I don’t approve ], Francine)
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 15:03   #12
Joey79100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
or why she wrongly accuses Von Croy of leaving her behind, or why his death even bothers her that much when she hardly liked him. I know there was supposed to be an element of the tribe that rescued her being slaughtered, but that’s just not in the game.
That's because they originally meant to put Jean-Yves there, which actually was Lara's friend and got away without searching for her. And, he's French, hence Paris. But after the legal issues with him, they thought Von Croy was the most fitting replacement (they couldn't rewrite TR4).
They could have altered Jean-Yves' looks, called him just Jean or just Yves or something, people would still have put the dots together, and there might not have been any legal issue, it would have made more sense than Von Croy.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 15:39   #13
Grimaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
I don't think she behaved like a b*tch to be honest. She just didn't have any time or desire to fool around. She's being chased nonstop.
While being rude is mostly an option, she still can find the time to be rude to the likes of Carvier, the homeless guy, Janice, the guy at the boxing ring (“am I talking too fast for you?”), etc. while being chased. Whether it’s almost boasting she could’ve killed Von Croy if she wanted to (really proving your innocence there...), talking down to Janice, or baiting the homeless with the implication of spare change...AoD Lara can look really petty. It’s a far cry from the composure she held in the original games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100
That's because they originally meant to put Jean-Yves there, which actually was Lara's friend and got away without searching for her. And, he's French, hence Paris. But after the legal issues with him, they thought Von Croy was the most fitting replacement (they couldn't rewrite TR4).
They could have altered Jean-Yves' looks, called him just Jean or just Yves or something, people would still have put the dots together, and there might not have been any legal issue, it would have made more sense than Von Croy.
I don’t think I’d ever heard this before, but it explains a lot. I still don’t think Lara’s bitter reaction is justified, she never needed or depended on people to save/come back for her before, but Jean is the better option. I don’t know why they didn’t try a work around like you suggested for it to still work instead of just picking Von Croy. He’s the last character I’d care about being murdered.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 18:19   #14
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
Valid to the AoD interpretation of her character, yes, but as an unpopular opinion, I think she’s out of character regardless. Lara’s temperament was cool and calculated, she hardly ever resorted to biting comments - quite the contrary, one of her first lines was flirty. She could be impressionable, even if it was just to get what she wanted.

While I appreciate there are reasons for her personality change, some didn’t make it into the game and the ones that are there don’t make much sense. The plane crash when she barely started her career didn’t transform her into a condescending, cynical person so I don’t understand why a cave-in would, or why she wrongly accuses Von Croy of leaving her behind, or why his death even bothers her that much when she hardly liked him. I know there was supposed to be an element of the tribe that rescued her being slaughtered, but that’s just not in the game.

So, I disagree.
I presume a cave-in is alot worse than being stranded, you'd probably feel completely useless in a cave-in while when you're stranded you can at least try to do things to help you survive.

Considering how she acts a bit afterwards (I admit this is a bit of a fan-theory thing) I think maybe she herself regrets it afterwards.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-19, 20:42   #15
Grimaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
I presume a cave-in is alot worse than being stranded, you'd probably feel completely useless in a cave-in while when you're stranded you can at least try to do things to help you survive.
It’s more the fact that, by the Last Revelation, Lara’s career had largely consisted of crumbling caves and tombs. There’s no indication from anything in the games that the one in Egypt was particularly rough, though I know that’s where the amulet and tribe would’ve come in. Comparatively, the plane crash happened when she had no experience, until TR4/5 retconned in her teenage adventures, and yet that was the making of her.

I suppose that’s what AoD itself was meant to be, the real event that “made” Lara again and the cave-in was just the catalyst, but I don’t feel that’s implemented well either. She doesn’t feel very different by the end of the game, nothing about her behaviour was unpacked or acknowledged. I suppose I’ll never know if it would’ve succeeded and won me around because it was never finished.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 12:22   #16
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
All of the AOD dialogue options are valid parts and expressions of Lara's character, that's the argument.

Agree? Disagree?
I certainly do agree very much on that.

https://youtu.be/J5mGm_AybL8

https://youtu.be/lFckSUKnA6A

https://youtu.be/A3BbY3nLjDA
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 14:11   #17
dg1995

In my opinion one problem of AOD storyline is this that people that haven't played Last Revelation have no idea why Lara is angry at Werner.(And why she is "rusty".)

Even though Core Design had to remove that cutscene with Shaman they could make some low budget 2D cutscene explaining Last Revelations events for the newcomers.
dg1995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 14:40   #18
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
In my opinion one problem of AOD storyline is this that people that haven't played Last Revelation have no idea why Lara is angry at Werner.(And why she is "rusty".)

Even though Core Design had to remove that cutscene with Shaman they could make some low budget 2D cutscene explaining Last Revelations events for the newcomers.
I understand exactly what you're saying. But other than that, I very much do appreciate the fact that they've insisted to develop 3D scenes instead. I feel so sorry for Core Design that never had enough time to finish what ever else was supposed to be added into the final version of TR6AOD. I especially don't even feel so pity from what Eidos have done to the Tomb Raider franchise from what they were.
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 14:50   #19
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRExpertgamer View Post
I understand exactly what you're saying. But other than that, I very much do appreciate the fact that they've insisted to develop 3D scenes instead. I feel so sorry for Core Design that never had enough time to finish what ever else was supposed to be added into the final version of TR6AOD. I especially don't even feel so pity from what Eidos have done to the Tomb Raider franchise from what they were.
What dg1995 meant was that they could have at least include some references to The Last Revelation, be it 2D or 3D. New players most likely got confused as to why the iconic Lara Croft was on the run as a fugitive, emotional/angry, and weak/rusty...
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 17:06   #20
UroshUchiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
What dg1995 meant was that they could have at least include some references to The Last Revelation, be it 2D or 3D. New players most likely got confused as to why the iconic Lara Croft was on the run as a fugitive, emotional/angry, and weak/rusty...
So much for "I understand exactly what you're saying."
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote