Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 04-10-16, 16:25   #741
LateRaider
Inactive

Alright. Well, thanks for explaining it. That's strange how negatively antiviruses react to BATs turned into EXEs, but now at least I have an explanation for my friend.

I didn't play very far into TRI with the patch, but everything else seems to work fine. I can't think of anything else that might go wrong, though as a PC game, millions of things can go wrong if you breathe at it in a certain direction. Thanks again so much for all your hard work.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-16, 19:09   #742
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Okay so let's get on with this revamped tool

http://www.filedropper.com/tombraide...urownfolderv14

(yes, v1.3 was "almost" functioning, so it had to become v1.4 by now)

this time even FMVs should be fixed
btw the workaround didn't lie with Alt/Enter tricks nor with a nGlide conflict, nor the fmv enhancement patch (included in v1.7.5 anyway) it was mostly a matter of bringing .conf settings to bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
That's strange how negatively antiviruses react to BATs turned into EXEs
it's true a batch file is just another executable, indeed I'll say I always wondered why default action on a .bat (just like a potentially "explosive" .reg file) like double-clicking should have it execute just like that !? Same admittedly goes for all .exe's but there maybe you'd feel a shadow of reverence handling them, but a .bat... looks trivial, probably harmless

So they'd say better safer than.. sorrier and treat it like a possible threat and I kind of second that, except this time at least I can tell there's no threat in there

once btw it looked like I was getting away with that bat2exe conundrum compiling with the invisible compile option, but good luck didn't last long, apparently they weren't born invisible enough

otoh come to think of it, these bat-turned-exe characters like Play Tomb Raider.bat/exe as I designed them, they will mind their own chores then call another exe namely dosbox.exe invoking another ie tomb*.exe before they themselves quit, so arguably it's this behavior if perfectly legal that arouses some suspicion with security apps like Norton or MS.
Just my two cents.

Last edited by gidierre; 04-10-16 at 20:27.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-16, 21:14   #743
LateRaider
Inactive

This is an extremely minor issue, and one that doesn't affect me personally, but I felt I should report it. In v1.4, Alt+Enter no longer changes from fullscreen to windowed; it now switches between stretched 16:9 widescreen and pillarboxed 4:3. My friend may actually like this better, since he prefers stretched fullscreen.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Last edited by LateRaider; 04-10-16 at 21:17.
Old 04-10-16, 22:47   #744
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
In v1.4, Alt+Enter no longer changes from fullscreen to windowed; it now switches between stretched 16:9 widescreen and pillarboxed 4:3
no, the patch is totally innocent here

but wait a minute
shall I infer by what you don't mention that fmv's are fine now??

for the Alt+Enter strange behavior:
curious regression
can't reproduce it myself

happy to be able to pinpoint that has definitely little to do with the installer or the v1.4 patch
I can tell it has much to do with one of these:
nGlide version not updated and/or gfx driver setting inappropriate (im my opinion that is, one is free to keep it like that, nothing "wrong" with it)

case 1
nGlide version has to be 1.05, if you have installer's v1.7.5 this addon is recommended during setup
you can still refuse it of course and use the Glide patch or nGlide below 1.05, but then Alt+Enter = kaput
if on that machine Alt+Enter isn't properly working, either installing v1.7.5 the option wasn't checked or it was and was lost (looks unlikely to me ) applying the 1.4 patch
simply try and install or reinstall nGlide v1.05 setup now, like a standalone application, I mean outside the installer, and it should enable Alt+Enter

2nd case
gfx settings, note this isn't mutually exclusive at all with the case 1 issue, they can coexist

the gfx driver properties panel may not be configured to go fullscreen and pillarboxed so it stretches the image (aspect ratio correction)
now I have no idea what the gfx adaptor is in this case, but certainly such a setting if buried deep must be available, sometimes keep aspect ratio or something to that effect is enabled by default sometimes not
I for one am not keen on a stretched output, for what it's worth, but to each his own

as you see, be it case 1 or 2 or that both are involved and in my opinion case 2 is my best guess, neither can possibly be installer/patch related that much, but I guess you'd be interested to know how I would address the issue if I had to.

Last edited by gidierre; 04-10-16 at 23:00.
Old 04-10-16, 23:19   #745
LateRaider
Inactive

Yes, FMVs are fixed! Sorry I didn't mention that. It must be one of my settings then. And like I said, I really don't care enough to fix it because I play PC games in fullscreen anyway. Thank you so much for all your work.

Last edited by LateRaider; 04-10-16 at 23:40.
Old 04-10-16, 23:51   #746
fallenangle

I reinstalled from a fresh download of the installer but elected not to install nGlide to see if that made any difference.

It didn't but I think I've identified one of the issues with the Joy2Key mapping. There are still problems but the main one was/is due the default User Keys mapping everything to number pad keys.

I didn't have the number pad on my old laptop, that's why I had to re-map the keyboard before mapping Joy2Key. In this case I just hadn't disabled the number lock (NL). A dumb mistake but this doesn't explain why attempting to re-map the User Keys causes the problems described.

By default User Keys "Action" is mapped to the Enter key of the numerical pad and if you use that with Joy2Key it isn't recognised in-game. At least not on my set up.

When I tried to re-map that to something else (I chose PAD-) Joy6 appeared instead and prevented re-mapping that until I used Enter then quickly multi-tapped PAD-.

Once done it wasn't plain sailing either. I found that if I exited the game, changed Joy2Key Key 3 (Dualshock X button) on my TR1/UB profile to PAD- when I restarted TR1 the X button on the Dualshock still wasn't being recognised as "Action".

I could use Enter on the keyboard for "Action" and other functions in the menu selection but not using the joypad even though the User Keys were showing PAD- for "Action".

There were other odd things too and unresponsiveness of the joypad buttons in general which I simply don't have with any other game.

Only when I closed down everything, rebooted the PC and restarted Joy2Key and then TR1, did all the mapped buttons start working but things were still not right. The F/B/L/R movement controls in particular (PAD8,PAD2.PAD4,PAD6). Using the D-Pad on the controller Lara only seems to respond to L/R commands when moving.

However use the keyboard directional buttons instead and Lara will turn L/R when standing. I'm loathe to try remapping those to the User Keys for obvious reasons.

Unfortunately I discovered that without nGlide UB refused to launch. On entering a New Game it simply crashed to desktop so I could not test the re-mapping with that. In the end I uninstalled everything and cleaned the registry again.

Back to square one.

EDIT

Just reinstalled it again using the Full Installation option.

Apart from the crackly sound, which in-game is limited to things like Lara's footsteps and gunfire but also obvious in the FMVs, all appears to be working OK now.

I mapped the controller with Joy2Key this time using the Default Key settings. This still required me to enable the number pad as PAD0 is mapped for Look.

However there is still a problem; without touching anything when I just left it on the TR1 Controls screen, Default Keys or User Keys screen after about 45 -60 secs the highlighter goes mad (as described before). But once it had stopped the first time I went into User Keys and changed ENTER > Action to PAD- which I'd mapped Joy2Key to use and quickly exited. Afterwards it functioned correctly.

There is another problem though if you do map Joy2Key using the Default Keys mapping instead of the User Key mapping. Default Keys maps ALT > Jump and CRTL > Action.

As I found to my cost this mean that if you make Lara jump and fire at the same as pressing a directional button ie. Alt+Crtl+Up this is a Windows 7 keyboard shortcut to rotate the screen from Landscape to Portrait. I don't know how it happened exactly but I was in the City of Vilcabamba shooting the wolves when it did. It crashed TR1 and I was left on the desktop looking at everything 90 degrees and also in the same resolution as the game which isn't my default desktop resolution either.

I knew how to get out of it via the Control Panel > Appearance > Change Resolution but I had to search online to find out what had caused it and that's when I learned Alt+Crtl+directional input rotates the image on screen. Then it twigged what had happened.

I went back to the User Keys Joy2Key profile which apart from the change to the Action key I also decided not to map Joy2Key movement to the number pad keys at all. I just used the standard directional UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT keys, as for the Default Key mapping. It works and although I still think there is some lag in the controls I don't remember there being on my old laptop, I can live with it.

Last edited by fallenangle; 05-10-16 at 16:40.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-16, 21:57   #747
LateRaider
Inactive

That's why I just set my own user keys up based primarily on the letter keys, and then bind my custom user keys to JoyToKey. The only exceptions are Up/Down/Left/Right and Esc, which are global no matter what you change your user keys to. There are never any issues thanks to that.

Last edited by LateRaider; 05-10-16 at 21:58.
Old 06-10-16, 00:44   #748
fallenangle

That's what I did with my old WinXP laptop on which I used the older dgVoodoo installation method and played from the discs. I re-mapped all User Keys because the laptop didn't have a separate number pad and never had a problem assigning the new key selection to Joy2Key.

But on this new-ish desktop with this installer TR1, but not UB, resulted in the mapping problems described. It will happily accept the first key re-map but then it all goes haywire with Joy pad keys being shown even though ordinarily TR1 doesn't support joypads.

I thought it might be nGlide that's why I tried an install without it. Same problems.

No idea why this should happen. Wish I did know. I'm using the same PS Dualshock controller and Joy2Key, for about a dozen other games without issue and the controller without Joy2Key for TR2 - TR5 without any problems.

The trouble also occurred even when I'd disconnected the controller and tried re-mapping the User Keys. So it can't be a fault with the PS Dualshock.

If it was a keyboard problem ie. a sticky key, why isn't that affecting other programs? The keyboard is new-ish too so that is unlikely anyway.

The real clue that this is something specifically to do with TR1 or the install (but what?) is surely that UB throughout appears to be unaffected by the problem.

I just wish somebody else here had come across a similar issue but I guess that because we're all using completely different set ups it might be unique.

The crackly sound issue is/was known with old dgVoodoo, it mentions it in the installer manual. I read somewhere else that both ATI and AMD graphics card users might have also this problem. I'm using an Intel i3 with integrated HD4600 graphics and a Gigabyte MB, Realtek HD audio with all drivers fully up to date.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...25&postcount=8
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 09:30   #749
Jami393

I don't know what version I have installed on my PC but every now and then I seemed to lose control of Lara and the game closes itself at times.
Jami393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 14:38   #750
gidierre
Grease Monkey

@fallenangle
sorry for the late response
btw the tool to install to a customized drive/folder is ready, link to v1.4 in post #742 or on page 1 (original post)

about joystick setup, sorry I'm hardly knowledgeable as I never used one, I only took Joy2Key in my setup because it's free like Dosbox, nGlide etc. vs. other similar apps and I thought it could be useful, though I can't tell

crackly sound issue: well dgVoodoo is not 64bit compatible, I've been using it a lot and added it to the other and earlier installer I'd made (for x86 32bit machines only) for soundcard emulation (as opposed to cdrom cdaudio tracks) via soundblaster revived by VDMSound (also kaput on x64)

the post you quoted is very interesting, btw the TR Advanced Installer referred to there is not mine, you know, it's Bookie's and stopped working too with onset of 64bit stuff
VDMsound code I guess you know was practically subsumed in dosbox code

now my hmiset.cfg (the instance that ships with the v1.7.5 installer) based on my experience reads
Quote:
[DIGITAL]
DeviceName = Sound Blaster 16/AWE32
DeviceIRQ = 7
DeviceDMA = 1
DevicePort = 0x220
DeviceID = 0xe016
see? IRQ's still =7, but identifies as (emulation of) a Soundblaster 16 or AWE32 instead of a nondescript, earlier SB device
what's better? hard to tell
can this be of some consequence? sure can, though we're not dealing with a real soundcard right?

you can always edit manually the .cfg in \tombraider or wherever you moved the setup up

a more thorough refurbishment would be to reinstate soundcard identification directly ie in game, you know that sound setup screen popping up when you inserted the TR1 cdrom fisrt
only way we would do on Win9x if you remember
this is slightly awkward but still absolutely feasible in virtual dos 6.22 provided by dosbox, if you want I can give you the relevant instructions via a few keystroke steps at the commandline
once in there you can try SB, SB16, everything that makes sense and see the difference if any
that's at least how I'd be going after it should I have to
HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami393 View Post
I don't know what version I have installed on my PC but every now and then I seemed to lose control of Lara and the game closes itself at times.
well install the latest to be safer
crashes can happen, how often is the question and just what your cpu/gfx adaptor specs etc. are