Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 23-06-18, 07:13   #21
Caesum

If you can't rant for 10 pages straight about Lara's hair then you're not a true TR fan.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-18, 08:02   #22
kathrynnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
If you can't rant for 10 pages straight about Lara's hair then you're not a true TR fan.
well it's a great thing that everyone on this forum seems to be a pro at that
kathrynnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-18, 09:45   #23
moodydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Braid vs ponytail, brown vs red.

Not much else to argue about.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-18, 10:17   #24
biscuits

It means I find the games fun. There really is no deeper reason for me. Lara Croft is a character I enjoy, not one I look up to. She's not the best part of these games. The level design is.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-18, 15:58   #25
Sir Launcelot

Got his fingernails dug into the boards in the back of the closet, maybe?

For me, LAU was a refreshing change from the shoot-em-ups I was used to playing. Run a sexy woman through all these exotic environments, make her do flips, climb all over the place, and do gymnastics to get here and there, find nifty little treasures...

Now of course, TR is more like a regular shoot em up too...

Last edited by tlr online; 24-06-18 at 10:47. Reason: Removed quote.
Sir Launcelot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-18, 10:47   #26
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodydog View Post
Braid vs ponytail, brown vs red.

Not much else to argue about.
You're not a real TR fan I'm afraid.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-18, 16:55   #27
larafan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Yeah especially when she had guns drawn, she didn't even swing her arms to give herself upward momentum, yet she jumped just as high. It looked funny.

Without guns drawn I don't think the animation was too bad in itself, that is a cartoon-y version of how someone would jump straight up in real life, swinging the arms back and then upwards. It was just the sheer height of the jump that made it funny, she jumped like twice her own height, taking off like a rocket.
Did you see her body? It was crazy...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomb Raider (at least the originals) have a lot of stuff in them... or rather, they are stuff, they are a lot of stuff. It's a lot of stuff...

I would assume different people like the game for different reasons. All reasons being obvious of course, and found inside the game.

I think sometimes people point in weird directions when trying to explain their relationship with Tomb Raider.

One might like Lara Croft because she represents empowerment and freedom. Yet there are others who would not dare associate such words with the objective character that is Lara Croft. There are those who may like Lara because she is feminine (?) and sexy. Using Lara as an example for every piece of Tomb Raider the game.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-18, 17:13   #28
Nigel Cassidy

Old fashioned Indiana Jonesian adventuring in exotic places, finding treasures and fighting the bad guys.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-18, 18:10   #29
Blackmoor

For me it's always been about the adventure.

The ability to explore places we wouldn't normally be able to get to and see and explore.

That can be anything from....

The staff areas of the Louvre Museum to the inside of Area 51. It doesn't have to be out in the wilds or inside some crumbling old tomb. In fact I would argue that done well, it can be infinitely more satisfying to have a real place location to explore (Area 51, London Underground, Louvre Museum) than some generic outdoorsy place.

I like the thrill of being able to snoop and sneak, running the risk of being caught and chased by people, creatures and monsters.

I've also always loved the beauty of the places. The more beautiful, the more strange, the more unexpected, the better.

----

Lara Croft has always been of secondary value to me. She becomes more important in the later games because the gameplay isn't as interesting, complex and intense (for me) as the earlier one's. I find that as the game's difficulty becomes more and more focused on shooting, then I need a better and more interesting Lara and story to keep the interest in me.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-18, 15:31   #30
ostercy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Most fans (especially of the older games) are women and gay men who live vicariously through sassy bold women.
How true
ostercy is offline   Reply With Quote