www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 09-12-22, 15:02   #21
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

I got the game for my birthday yesterday so I had to wait nearly a week after the release. Ended up being for the better so they had time to do any last minute patches before I started.

Runs perfectly fine on PS5. Really enjoying it so far. The dodging can be tricky, but I'm sure I'll get use to it eventually.

Very pretty looking game and character models. Also Photo Mode is fun.

Old 14-12-22, 15:43   #22
rewak
Professor

I finished it and even though I overall liked it I'd say it has some pretty big problems that just shouldn't be here. The biggest problem comes from the animation speed, it's way too slow and it kills the combat, which is 95% of the gameplay! It does work when dealing with one enemy, mostly anyway, but add another and it falls apart real quick. Everything from swinging the baton to switching firearms is so damn slow because Jacob moves like an arthritic riddled grandma and the enemies move so damn fast! Forget about healing mid-combat, you can have a coffee break in the time it takes for that animation to play out. Don't bother running away either, it takes a second to wind up the animation to sprint (when the button works at all, that's another problem I encountered many times) and even then you're moving way slower than the enemies do so good luck trying to make some distance. This becomes especially bad later in the game when you're dealing with bosses, they can take a big chunk of health off in one hit and sometimes even have standard enemies in the fight with them. It's not even a case of no room for error, I legit felt like some of the fights I won by pure luck. And this was playing on the easiest difficulty setting! No way in hell am I even going to attempt to play on the higher difficulties, good luck to anyone who tries that. It's all speed related, if the animations were quicker and the movement was snappier all those problems would be helped or outright solved immediately. I don't believe for a second no one picked this up during development or testing. I still beat the game so it's not impossible by any means but it still felt like a grind even on the easiest difficulty. Emphasising the "survival" part of survival horror is fine, but it shouldn't feel as unbalanced as it does.

My other major problem is end game stuff so spoilers ahead;

They re-use 2 bosses, one twice, another 4 freaking times! They only pop up in the last few chapters of the game too so you're just constantly being tossed between these 2 bosses in the last hours of the game. It made the end game fatigue very real. Oh and you can't use melee attacks on them, hope you have enough inventory space to carry enough ammo to deal with them! It reminded me of Daymare 1998 which had the same problem, but that at least had the excuse of being an indie game by a small group of first time devs, this is a AAA game by people who have been making games for decades. It made the end game feel like they either ran out of time or ideas, which is just made worse by the actual ending of the game. I'm fine with short endings as long as they feel like somethings been resolved, but this felt like they cut a final chapter out to make it a DLC which is supposedly coming in the summer. And they made sure to resurrect one of those 2 bosses in the final moments! I came away feeling unsatisfied, feeling like I have to wait another 6 months for an actual ending to the game I just beat and dreading the idea of having to face that same boss I just dealt with again just because the devs couldn't think of anything else. That's assuming the DLC will follow on from the ending, I can't see it being anything else but I kind of hope it is just to avoid dealing with that.

I loved the atmosphere, the characters were likeable, the story was a little basic but I enjoy some sci-fi space themed horror so it worked for me, and the setting was cool with enough location variety that it never got stale. Enemy variety could have been better and the jump scares never got me because they were so obvious but that's probably subjective. Overall it's a decent game and does more right than wrong. It's just a shame the gameplay, balancing of the difficulties, and pacing towards the end wasn't better, and for a team made of industry veterans those shouldn't have been problems. If they were fixed somehow it would be a much better game for it.
rewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-22, 17:57   #23
Tombcool
Professor

So what I’m hearing is to get the game on sale?
Old 14-12-22, 18:23   #24
rewak
Professor

That's the tl;dr version yeah Although if you're on PS4/Xbox One, from what I've seen it's maybe not even worth it on sale.
Old 14-12-22, 18:47   #25
wimc
Hobbyist

Looks interesting. But, nowadays, just watch game play.

Last edited by wimc; 14-12-22 at 19:14.
wimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-22, 23:11   #26
Zebra
Legend

I watched a let's play of it (as I tend to do with horror games) and the game just felt very mediocre. Competently made and with very pretty graphics but also kind of boring with characters you never really get attached to and a story that feels very been-there-done-that. The one real plot twist they have is more confusing than anything else and doesn't at all land the way the devs seem to have intended (at least for me). There also isn't enough variety in the enemies, environments or gameplay.
Old 15-12-22, 09:40   #27
killchan
Professor

I might give it a try to just to see if everyone else if playing it wrong Usually when everyone complains about gameplay mechanics, it's either players not being able to adapt to design choices just slighly different than most AAAs out there, or the game being actually bad.
Old 16-12-22, 11:52   #28
rewak
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewak View Post
Everything from swinging the baton to switching firearms is so damn slow because Jacob moves like an arthritic riddled grandma and the enemies move so damn fast! Forget about healing mid-combat, you can have a coffee break in the time it takes for that animation to play out.
Well well, in the latest patch they've improved this by reducing the animation times for healing and swapping weapons by half. You can see a comparison for the healing animation HERE. I'm impressed they actually listened and tweaked this.
Old 16-12-22, 13:02   #29
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I watched a let's play of it (as I tend to do with horror games) .
I'm normally always of the opinion that you should play a horror game, rather than watch it, as I think the atmosphere of playing is different to watching... but this is so obviously Dead Space without calling it that and I didn't even enjoy DS. So... yeah, definitively a bargain bin buy for me.
Old 28-12-22, 05:09   #30
trfan16
Archaeologist

Just got this game for Christmas and having a blast with it so far. I was a little hesitant to get it at first since reception about the game seemed to be mix, but I caved in since I love any type of space horror (despite the fact I never played any of the Dead Space games). The graphics are stunning and the combat is fun for the most part. My only complaints so far is that the enemy variety is pretty lacking. I've only made it as far as the third chapter and it feels like I've only encountered 3 different enemy types. Dodging in this game feels awkward, although I'm probably part of the problem lol. Fortunately, I have a 4 day weekend coming up so I want to try and progress as much as possible.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote