www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 07-12-19, 00:11   #271
paulwork
Archaeologist

I was really looking forward to this game. I thoroughly enjoyed the first hour of gameplay. But then I got bored with it.

There's far too many options. I don't see the point of having to stop off to pee. In a game like Heavy Rain, it was fine because it was meant to be realistic, but Death Stranding is fantasy. It doesn't need a million bells and whistles.

As for carrying stuff on your back etc... It was fun for the first two missions, then it got really boring and annoying really quick.

I also couldn't find a way to retract the ladders once I set them up. The buttons were telling me to retract, but despite moving the controls EXACTLY as commanded, the ladders would not retract, and I didn't want to waste them by walking away from them.

I have no inclination to continue playing more of this game right now. I'd rather wait for the next Control Remedy DLC instead.
paulwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-19, 18:25   #272
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Well I've played this a few hours so far and these are my first impressions....

-Beautiful and interesting world (I like post-apocalyptic generally)
-Intriguing mystery behind what is actually going on
-Horrendous user interface when taking on tasks. Urgh. But I suppose after a while it becomes second nature.... I hope.
-Don't know if I have the patience to protect the cargo.... I can't be bothered to do it carefully and have fallen over loads of times. Slipping on rocks, falling down hills, getting swept away by rivers. Lol.
-I don't find the death stranding scary (I thought I would) but maybe that's because it's early days.
-The cutscenes are long and I think would have benefited from editing, it feels quite repetitious in places.

But yes, I am enjoying it so far although I don't think I'm very far into it. I'm just about to go and do my first stealing of cargo so I figure I'm still learning the basics.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 23-12-19 at 18:28.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-19, 15:13   #273
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Now that I've finished Death Stranding I can say that this was an extremely enjoyable game.

So atmospheric with good pacing and progression. You do do a lot of delivery but I loved it because the scenerio written was a good one in terms of providing a reason to do this, making you want to get the jobs done. Plus I just enjoy wandering around virtual worlds looking and taking it all in and finding a way from A to B so it suited me.

Also the "online connections" features did encourage me to pull my weight and do actions in order to contribute.

I found a lot of the game beautiful and relaxing but there are also some extreme moments of tension (I won't spoil) and there is fighting and action in this game. I loved making my way through some desolate wilderness only for a song to kick in (the music was exceptionally well chosen) and I felt like I was Sam, out there, alone in the apocalyptic world with the weather, listening to some music on my player. The world as shown feels very real, at times I looked around and could imagine that I was actually there.

The characters felt real too, they are well drawn - visually and as characterisations.

The story is bonkers in some ways but still very complex and mysterious, and it pulls you through the game wanting to know what is going on and who everyone is.

As a bit of a downside, there is too much talking and too many memos to read - I didn't bother to read them as this is not my kind of storytelling - and some of the cutscenes go on forever (mostly at the start and the end). But overall..........yes, this is a great game.

9/10

Last edited by Blackmoor; 28-12-19 at 15:34.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-19, 17:41   #274
dg1995
Historian

Death Stranding has it's own parody version now.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1.../MAN_STANDING/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLXAsQHIJaI

Guess we pcgamers have to play that for now.

Last edited by dg1995; 30-12-19 at 17:48.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-19, 15:38   #275
xcrushterx
Relic Hunter

I thought this game was hot garbage. I am so disappointed because I was really looking forward to it.

Fundamentally, walking from point A to point B protecting cargo on your back is not that interesting. As others have said, the UI is awful and there are too many random things you can do (pee, ****, shower etc). And avoiding the BTs is something I just found irritating rather than fun/challenging.
Old 31-12-19, 16:05   #276
redfox45
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrushterx View Post
I thought this game was hot garbage. I am so disappointed because I was really looking forward to it.

Fundamentally, walking from point A to point B protecting cargo on your back is not that interesting. As others have said, the UI is awful and there are too many random things you can do (pee, ****, shower etc). And avoiding the BTs is something I just found irritating rather than fun/challenging.
I wonder if it was just a case of everybody around Kojima being too scared to 'question his genius' or whether they tried to and he decided to ignore them.

We know what his view is, he doesnt care that he disappointed people such as yourself and doesnt care if you don't support his work anymore. He made the game he wanted to make and that's the only thing that apparently matters to him.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote