Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 26-03-22, 09:50   #21
Sabatu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
The Greeks were conquered by Romans, who themselves also fought and traded with Norsemen.

Gods from all three religions in what is essentially an early Christian monastery over a pagan site makes perfect sense. Look up 'Roman syncretism' for more information.
I agree with you

According to this (In my opinion Amazing Video)
History & Geography in Tomb Raider - Episode 01: Tomb Raider
https://youtu.be/9xvPPsq_ou0

It is really a mix of different eras and architectures.
Such us dolphins for example.

Or maybe we are overthinking and Core just used names and textures they liked.. I am not sure it was ever mentioned the big hall is for gods only.
Damocles was no god.
Sabatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-22, 11:33   #22
croftyboy

I want to add; I don't think/recall the second section was ever confirmed to be "Greece" in TR1. Only in Anniversary it is stated as Greece. So in this timeline it's just some unknown place with Grecoroman culture.

In my opinion different gods from different cultures give the game a much deeper lore that players can think about for fun. Just like in the video Sabatu mentioned. But of course in the end it's the builder's choice.
croftyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-22, 15:06   #23
jvry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabatu View Post
I agree with you

According to this (In my opinion Amazing Video)
History & Geography in Tomb Raider - Episode 01: Tomb Raider
https://youtu.be/9xvPPsq_ou0

It is really a mix of different eras and architectures.
Such us dolphins for example.

Or maybe we are overthinking and Core just used names and textures they liked.. I am not sure it was ever mentioned the big hall is for gods only.
Damocles was no god.
Pity that video doesn't mention the architecture in the Anniversary cistern when querying its age. Someone with a better understanding is welcome to correct me, but the vault and arch construction looks Roman to me, which would be anachronistic for its position within the structure. Of course, TR1 cistern textures make it look rather industrial by comparison, and Minoan cisterns wouldn't be worth making a level out of, as interesting as they are. Will be interesting to see which way you take it.

Back to the Hall of Gods, as long as the trials are relatively inline with their namesake, I don't have a problem. The Thor room made sense for what it was even if it was the wrong pantheon, I felt the change to Hephaestus was a major stretch. Adding a few busts of armour to increase the complexity of the hammer puzzle does not turn a lightning trial into a forge trial.
jvry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-22, 15:07   #24
Sabatu

Wolf's Den inside Quelopec's Tomb

Old 26-03-22, 15:48   #25
Wolf 7

It is beautiful to look at it :3 Amazing job Sabatu!!
Wolf 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-22, 00:04   #26
Sabatu

PERU IS DONE!!

13 days of hard work

I set the record
I made the tomb of Quelopec almost in one day the small part in the red circles was made the previous evening

Old 27-03-22, 00:12   #27
AgentXP

Wow crazzyyy fast! :S Looking amazing too!
AgentXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-22, 00:19   #28
KurtisandLara
Golden

Wow! It’s looking really good!!
KurtisandLara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-22, 05:09   #29
bigfoot

13 days . I built 4 rooms in 13 days actually !!
Very beautiful screens as always !!
bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-22, 13:43   #30
.snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by croftyboy View Post
I want to add; I don't think/recall the second section was ever confirmed to be "Greece" in TR1. Only in Anniversary it is stated as Greece. So in this timeline it's just some unknown place with Grecoroman culture.
I always feel like everyone forgets this and it's great you mentioned it It really seems like it was only with TRA that Greece was suddenly "canonized" and now fans have even forgotten it used to be ambiguous.

A lot of the old Core Design stuff (such as the map of Lara's travels) marks it as being "Rome"; during the TR5 promotional period it was said that "Lara will return to one of the locations from the original game confronted by Larson and Pierre"; and on the original Sega Saturn box of TR1 (the OG release of OG releases) it even says the game takes you to ancient Rome (look it up if you don't believe me). Plus, there are actually more Roman things in those 5 levels than Greek things.

But that aside: Sabatu, your project looks absolutely amazing! It reminds me of what AoDfan created a long time ago: instead of re-imagining TR1 by making everything look next-gen (which is what almost everyone usually does), he kept the original retro TR1 visual style and simply re-designed the maps and gameplay in each one of the levels. He only ever made Peru though. Not sure if he's working on more. Either way, your work here looks breathtaking and I'm so excited to hear you're planning on re-imagining the entire game.

Last edited by .snake.; 27-03-22 at 13:45.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote