Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 05-02-23, 17:52   #1
dg1995

Default Do you want a TR visual novel game?

With a visual novel game they can attract a new wave of fans.

Another good aspect of visual novels is that the developers can focus on the story and they don't have to worry about the gameplay.They can also add voice actors to make it superior compared to most of visual novel games.

They can wrap up AOD's story with a visual novel game.(Since I'm not sure they ever make a AAA sequel for that game or even make any references for it in the next main games.)

We have some fake TR visual novel games that were made in the Renpy engine. But I want an official one.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-23, 17:56   #2
charmedangelin

This would never work for TR.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-23, 18:07   #3
tomblover

I love visual novels, but TR as an IP is wasted on attempts at good storytelling. Maybe if fans made something in the vein of Love is Strange.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-23, 18:46   #4
Portugalraider

I don't really see how a Tomb Raider visual novel could possibly work, but if someone finds a way to make that idea make sense, sure why not?

I guess something akin to the Nonary Games and AI:Somnium game series, which are divided into story segments and puzzle sequences could possible inspirations, especially AI:Somnium since the puzzle sequences have a bit more of active gameplay. Or perhaps Catherine, where the puzzles are also very platform-based as well. If well thought out, it could end up being a neat spinoff, like the LC games.

I remember a Twitter thread a few years ago that involved a fake mobile visual novel Tomb Raider game, those that are more like sharing text messages with a character, that also sounded like an actual neat idea for that sort of game. I remember that thread because Jill Murray retweeted it and I initially thought it was an actual cancelled project .

But the idea behind the game, even if fake, was quite neat. It was something like you were part of Lara's off-site team (think Zip and Alistair), and she would periodically text you or send photos of what she was doing and ask you your opinion on what she should do. Then she would once again take an artifact that would start another apocalypse, you would get "in real time" info of what was happening on the world, and keep Lara informed (or not) on how things were progressing and how you both could prevent the apocalyse from happening. Obviously the thread made the game look quite grim, like it was possible to bring Lara into a self-destructing depressive state (that was when I started realizing the whole thing was fake), but the overall idea actually sounded like a great idea for a text-based Tomb Raider adventure game.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-23, 19:09   #5
RAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
With a visual novel game they can attract a new wave of fans.

Another good aspect of visual novels is that the developers can focus on the story and they don't have to worry about the gameplay.They can also add voice actors to make it superior compared to most of visual novel games.

They can wrap up AOD's story with a visual novel game.(Since I'm not sure they ever make a AAA sequel for that game or even make any references for it in the next main games.)

We have some fake TR visual novel games that were made in the Renpy engine. But I want an official one.
Let's pretend that would work for TR (which totally wouldn't considering the core element of TR are exploration and puzzle solving). Visual novels would have to be developed by people who are actually talented and skilled in story telling. Crystal Dynamics would excel if the game were to are on Nickelodeon as a cartoon for 3 year olds.

Long post short, Crystal are not good at story telling so it would flop for sure.
RAID is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-23, 19:19   #6
Pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post
Let's pretend that would work for TR (which totally wouldn't considering the core element of TR are exploration and puzzle solving). Visual novels would have to be developed by people who are actually talented and skilled in story telling. Crystal Dynamics would excel if the game were to are on Nickelodeon as a cartoon for 3 year olds.

Long post short, Crystal are not good at story telling so it would flop for sure.
Actually, what Portugalraider mentioned about a "text-based Tomb Raider adventure game" doesn't sound a million miles removed from the adventure-game focus on exploration and puzzle-solving? The detective-work elements of AoD that involved NPC dialog/interrogation could also synergise with that, psychologically.

I'm not sure whether CD would particularly excel in this format, sure, but I don't think the basic concept is necessarily unworkable.
Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-23, 19:27   #7
jeffrey van oort

What do you propose?

That with every move Lara does, that with every puzzle Lara solves, and with every key, and with every door Lara finds, a narrator will beautifully explain how Lara finds that whilst Lara is finding that?

What exactly do you mean by visual novel?
jeffrey van oort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-23, 19:43   #8
dg1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey van oort View Post
What do you propose?

That with every move Lara does, that with every puzzle Lara solves, and with every key, and with every door Lara finds, a narrator will beautifully explain how Lara finds that whilst Lara is finding that?

What exactly do you mean by visual novel?
I mean a game where:

1.You see static pictures most of the times.(But it can have some dynamic ones like when the characters speak)

2.The game narrates the story to you via texts and you also read the character dialogues.(developers can add voice acting to them if they want it)

3.You play them with only a mouse.(And most of the time you have to click to go to the next text)
But some visual novels also allow you to click on screen to go from one place to another or to examine an item or talking to a NPC.

In some ways Capcom's Ace Attorney games are kinda visual novels.(But the games also have some puzzles)
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-23, 19:44   #9
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post

Oh as a main game that would be terrible ! I think it's an idea that would work better as a spin off by another studio.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-23, 20:23   #10
Pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Oh as a main game that would be terrible ! I think it's an idea that would work better as a spin off by another studio.
Telltale games would be the obvious candidate, although their plots are a little more railroad-y than I'd like.
Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote