Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 12-01-19, 07:04   #13931
Soma Holiday

that grace randolph woman called Tomb Raider an embarrassment for Warner Brothers on her 2018 box office breakdown video. basically she highlighted all the franchises that did well for them this year and said TR was the only embarrassment...i hope they dont decide to focus on the other franchises while TR rots.
Soma Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 07:52   #13932
laracroftswest

I saw Aquaman and wow...it really proved one thing to me in regards to TR.

20 different locations in a film CAN work...and seeing a TR film or series set in jungle, snow, water, etc. environments could be pulled off well with great direction.

OT: The film didn't do well domestically. But I still don't think it was an embarrassment per se, and US audiences shouldn't be the only factor when considering a film's success.

Last edited by laracroftswest; 12-01-19 at 07:53.
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 18:59   #13933
ActuallyArlow

That desert scene in aquaman really did remind me of TombRAider and especially the parts where they solved the puzzle and whatnot. I am just imagining the potential a TR film could have now that aquaman seems to have raised the bar in terms of standard.
ActuallyArlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 19:11   #13934
TrustyBow

I don't know if I'd use Aquaman as an example of a film effectively using multiple locations. That film was kind of a mess in how much it was trying to do. Way too many plot points and too fast paced.

I still think Raiders of the Lost Ark sets the bar for using multiple locations in a film.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 20:49   #13935
GeekOfComedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I don't know if I'd use Aquaman as an example of a film effectively using multiple locations. That film was kind of a mess in how much it was trying to do. Way too many plot points and too fast paced.

I still think Raiders of the Lost Ark sets the bar for using multiple locations in a film.
I think MI:6 too. They got Belfast, Germany, MI6 HQ, Paris, London, Kashmir SEAMLESSLY. I actually think it looks clunkiest when it looks like each location is given equal amount of screen time like the first Jolie film. I think Chris McQ got the balance right there as they did in Raiders.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 21:16   #13936
lance6439

Just watched the movie for the first time since it was released to the public and WOW its so good. Might watch again tonight.
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 22:21   #13937
Ellioft

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
Just watched the movie for the first time since it was released to the public and WOW its so good. Might watch again tonight.
What ? MI:6 ?
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-19, 08:07   #13938
ccroft2003

The notion that a movie doesn't work when it's based in more than x1 location is complete nonsense!!!

Tomb Raider is about adventure, a touch of fantasy and exploration. Exploration for me being probably the most important and wasn't really even present in the 2018 movie (I did still, however, enjoy it, but only really for Alicia's performance)

The next movie should concentrate less on Lara's past/family/whatever and be more about her wanting to find an "object/prize/relic" before Trinity and that should involve her GLOBE TROTTING. Give us snow-capped mountains, give us sand dunes in the desert and the dense tropical Jungle of S America. Have Lara scale well-known ruins on the surface to find un-known tombs below adding in a fantasy element with some cool shoot-ups and acrobatic sequences (but please forget the robots this time!).

In a modern world where the box office is dominated by billion $ super-hero movies that are scraped together with over-the-top GGI, out-of-this-world fantasy elements and humorous dialogue, with little emphasis on "believable" story or even character development, this should be simple for Tomb Raider?????
ccroft2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-19, 09:49   #13939
Ellioft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccroft2003 View Post
In a modern world where the box office is dominated by billion $ super-hero movies that are scraped together with over-the-top GGI, out-of-this-world fantasy elements and humorous dialogue, with little emphasis on "believable" story or even character development, this should be simple for Tomb Raider?????
Yeah and we will gonna have something bland like all this super hero crap Disney sells out, no thanks.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-19, 10:04   #13940
ccroft2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Yeah and we will gonna have something bland like all this super hero crap Disney sells out, no thanks.
That isn't what I meant... but let's be honest, it's not like the current "reiteration" of Lara has been very successful. Even the current game has sorta flopped because people are bored!

I'm not saying the story itself should be less important, I'm just saying that the next movie needs to be more of a spectacle.
ccroft2003 is offline   Reply With Quote