www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 09-02-19, 12:37   #21
ESCachuli
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Yeah I have no idea what went wrong in Underworld either. Considering they went on and on about "Motion capture! REALISTIC movement!" during the promotional campaign for Underworld (I remember, God they wouldn't shut up about it) the animations were probably the worst in the series, even more than the CORE games.

Actually I think in any game, animations tend to look mediocre at best when they use motion capture. It can look uncanny, or best case scenario the animations just don't look impressive or aesthetically pleasing because they're too realistic. The only games I've seen where I've liked it have been games by Naughty Dog, and I think it's because ND are always really on top of their **** when it comes to visuals, story direction/characterisation and attention to detail.
Core Games have quite good animations, some of them still holds today's standars. And speaking of PSX era, that's a lot to say. Legend and Anniversary are pleasing, but as Joey said, they are good only if you don't put too much attention.

Underworld is a mess in that regard, at least during gameplay. Cutscenes are good. Same happens in the Reboot games, they are clunky, and in Shadow it is even worse because the new animations are much better, and they clash with the old ones. I mean, the jump animations are horrible (and it is the one you are seeing the most), but swiming, rappel or the "Predator kill" one are quite good.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 13:37   #22
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
Core Games have quite good animations, some of them still holds today's standars. And speaking of PSX era, that's a lot to say. Legend and Anniversary are pleasing, but as Joey said, they are good only if you don't put too much attention.

Underworld is a mess in that regard, at least during gameplay. Cutscenes are good. Same happens in the Reboot games, they are clunky, and in Shadow it is even worse because the new animations are much better, and they clash with the old ones. I mean, the jump animations are horrible (and it is the one you are seeing the most), but swiming, rappel or the "Predator kill" one are quite good.
I actually do like the Core animations quite a lot, they did have a fluidity to them even while Lara moved so slow. I loved how she moved purposefully and with good posture as well, it suited her. It's just weird how games in the 90s had better animations the newer games have, it's so backwards haha

Also yeah I notice that about Shadow too. The swimming animations are really lovely and remind me of the Core era ones actually. The only new animation I hate is that horrendously un-graceful looking dive.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 09-02-19 at 13:40.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 14:12   #23
ESCachuli
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I actually do like the Core animations quite a lot, they did have a fluidity to them even while Lara moved so slow. I loved how she moved purposefully and with good posture as well, it suited her. It's just weird how games in the 90s had better animations the newer games have, it's so backwards haha

Also yeah I notice that about Shadow too. The swimming animations are really lovely and remind me of the Core era ones actually. The only new animation I hate is that horrendously un-graceful looking dive.
It is the same dive as Rise, that's why it looks so wrong. And I don't know if I'm right but it looks similar to the one in Underworld.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 10:47   #24
New Dwight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
It is the same dive as Rise, that's why it looks so wrong. And I don't know if I'm right but it looks similar to the one in Underworld.
It is not the same dive in rise; Rise was a lot better than this goofy dive in Shadow, and Shadow's is certainly not similar Underworld.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 21:56   #25
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
It's a shame the animations from TRL and TRA were only used in two games. The animators clearly put a lot of time and energy into making them fluid and realistic. Underworld would have been a much better game if CD hadn't tried to cram in those crappy, underdeveloped mo-cap anims. Imagine a world where TRU had reused the existing in-game anims combined with motion captured cutscenes...would have been nice!
Ugh yeah, in a perfect world, we would have gotten this along with a story that properly follows up on the foundation Legend laid.

I agree with everyone that Anniversaryís animations were the best of LAU. Legendís animations was already really top-notch, and Anniversary made them even better. Itís a shame we lost this quality in Underworld.
Old 13-02-19, 16:24   #26
AshesBorn
Professor

Yeah, Lara's animations in Anniversary are my favorite. I used to bring up TRA's ledge-hopping during discussions about Reboot's floaty wall scramble and other weightless jumps. The technology has improved so much over the years, yet some of the stuff we have now is inexplicably janky.

Last edited by AshesBorn; Yesterday at 09:57.
AshesBorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-19, 14:05   #27
Pyro99
Archaeologist

Agreed. Anniversary has my favourite animations out of the LAU games, mostly because of how Legend's were already solid but Anniversary really polished them up with little details. Underworld felt like a step-down because despite it being mo-cap, the animations were very jerky at times