www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 20-12-18, 13:22   #61
IceLancer
Hobbyist

Hey! Nicely done, i was wondering, can something be done about lack of light on Lara? To get more "shiny" look like on ps3
PS3

PC

actually it seems that entire ps3 game has some additional light effect that is missing on pc, obvious when looking at dark corners or hallways of Lara her self

Last edited by IceLancer; 20-12-18 at 13:28.
IceLancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-18, 10:38   #62
JimbobJeffers
Student

Hi IceLancer! Sadly without the ability to edit the shaders themselves, this isn't something I can achieve. The PC version of Lara only uses Diffuse and Normal textures, which are used for colour and bumps respectively. I think there are a few exceptions like the belt buckle, but as far as I can tell these are all binary (either 0 or 1 for specularity). The PS3 version must have added proper specular textures like Tomb Raider: Legend has. I wish there was a way to bring these materials across!
JimbobJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 16:39   #63
JimbobJeffers
Student

Version 1.00 is out, porting the entirety of Croft Manor across to the new installation method! The mod is now back to the same state it was previously when it used Texmod, but of course the new setup is much better.

Next I'd like to have another look at many of the Croft Manor textures and maybe Lara's herself, as I've learned a lot since starting this project and may be able to improve them. Then her weapons could do with new textures, after which I'll probably start on the first level or her alternate outfits.
Old 10-02-19, 19:18   #64
R41D3R
Student

Nice! Does this work with both the original and the steam version of TRA?
Old 10-02-19, 22:43   #65
Boobandie
Professor

Would it be possible to include a version with the TRL textures for the manor wall and floor bricks? I don't know why they changed them to a differently styled rougher stone, the Anniversary textures don't fit the rest of the masonry leftover from Legend.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 04:39   #66
XNAaraL
Professor

Location: The worthwhile problems are the U can really solve, the ones U can really contribute something to
Question PS3 version of TRA and specular maps? -- PC version of TRA and bump maps ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimbobJeffers View Post
Hi IceLancer! Sadly without the ability to edit the shaders themselves, this isn't something I can achieve. The PC version of Lara only uses Diffuse and Normal textures, which are used for colour and bumps respectively. I think there are a few exceptions like the belt buckle, but as far as I can tell these are all binary (either 0 or 1 for specularity). The PS3 version must have added proper specular textures like Tomb Raider: Legend has. I wish there was a way to bring these materials across!
vs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrox2 View Post
PC Version doesn't have bump maps, it has the dirt + wet effect from the PS2 Version, it's just an improved PS2 Version anyway, the intro is real-time too (same goes for PS3/360 ...)

There is no best version, every version of TRA has flaws ...

You are wrong on that, the water in the PS3 Version is much more realistic and modern than the fake water imitation on the PC/PS2 Versions.
The PS3 Version Water looks out of place because it doesn't match with the graphic style of the whole areas (in other means, lacking bump maps).

There is no TRA Version that uses bump maps, but the PS3 Version engine was updated to allow that, however they NEVER bothered to use/create bump maps which is what makes the water look out of place when compared to it's surrounding ...

It PS3 only uses light maps, but that is not enough, you may notice that lara's shirt looks flat when in dark place or under a shadow, that is because they transferred all the sharpness effect to the light maps, so when light hits her, you see the sharp edges ... etc ...
The shirt texture itself blank ...
Because it uses dirty textures, they didn't even bother to make dirty textures for most of the other outfits, some lack it completely, some only make the lip look pale and dirty (legend costume) some only the face (Wet suite I think) .. etc ... flawed ....
There is no (best) version but the PS3 Version obviously has many flaws, it depends on your own preference in the end :/

Here is an example I compiled from the PS3 Textures Gh0stblade ripped (Textures shown here or not original sizes for obvious reasons, original sizes would be 1024x1024 for shirt light map and dirty texture, 512x512 for shirt diffuse and wet texture) :

PS3 TRA Shirt textures comparison

Again, PC Version doesn't use bump maps nor light maps, therefore only textures (diffuse maps) it even ran on my old crappy PC (lmfao)
The low quality water imitation in the PC/PS2 Versions matches the overall graphical style of the game at least :/

I posted about this previously on the TRL Section >HERE<
So, which statement is correct?

Last edited by XNAaraL; 11-02-19 at 04:40.
XNAaraL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 13:02   #67
JimbobJeffers
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by R41D3R View Post
Nice! Does this work with both the original and the steam version of TRA?
I've only tested it on PC, I'm sure it'll work on Steam too though! The installation instructions make it easy to restore the original game in a couple of seconds, should it not work, so it's safe to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Would it be possible to include a version with the TRL textures for the manor wall and floor bricks? I don't know why they changed them to a differently styled rougher stone, the Anniversary textures don't fit the rest of the masonry leftover from Legend.
It should be possible to do this with Texmod on top of my mod, yes. The floor/wall textures in my overhaul actually come from TRL but are edited to match TRA. It's a while since I did those textures but I think the main difference is darker seams between the floor tiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNAaraL View Post
So, which statement is correct?
My apologies, I was mistaken in my comment there. I have the PC and PS3 versions fully extracted so can see all the textures in the game. The comment you quoted is correct, although there is another texture type in TRA PS3 that I guess might be used for specularity or something, I'm not entirely sure - some textures are blue-tinted, but not to the extent that suggests separate textures are stored in the RGB channels. Also TRA PC does actually have a small number of textures that could be used as specular, but they're mostly binary (black or white only) and used very sparingly. I couldn't find these when I had a quick look through TRA PS3 but I'd be surprised if they had removed them. So to summarise:

TRA-PC
Diffuse (example)
Specular (example 1, example 2)

TRA-PS3
Diffuse, includes dirt/wet (example)
Light (example)
Specular, or SSS? (example)

Last edited by JimbobJeffers; 11-02-19 at 13:04.
Old 12-02-19, 05:44   #68
XNAaraL
Professor

Location: The worthwhile problems are the U can really solve, the ones U can really contribute something to

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimbobJeffers View Post
My apologies, I was mistaken in my comment there. ...
The comment you quoted is correct,

although there is another texture type in TRA PS3 that I guess might be used for specularity or something, I'm not entirely sure

Also TRA PC does actually have a small number of textures that could be used as specular, but they're mostly binary (black or white only) and used very sparingly.

TRA-PC
Diffuse (example)
Specular (example 1, example 2)

TRA-PS3
Diffuse, includes dirt/wet (example)
Light (example)
Specular, or SSS? (example)
Thanks for this information.

To be honest, now everything went to more and more questionable.

Tested with Gimp (Photoshop) Blend modes

- In the "TRA-PS3 Diffuse" example, I see only the diffuse (color) RGB part. No dirt or wet information.

- The "TRA-PS3 Light (AO)" example looks like a Specular map.
Usually, a shader multiplies the lightmap by the diffuse map. The result would be:

That's not what the TRA shirt in-game looks like.
Usually, a shader add the specular map to the diffuse map. The result would be:

That gives a more correct result.

- The "TRA-PS3 Specular (SSS)" example looks like a Specular map.
It is of course not a SSS (SubSurface Scatter map).

+ The "TRA-PC Specular example 1" looks of course like a Specular map.
+ The "TRA-PC Specular example 2" looks like a "Mask" map. Without seeing the matching Diffuse map, I cannot say the purpose (glossy, alpha, fake shadows ...)