www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 11-02-19, 01:17   #30231
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinkula View Post
So, a lot of people have been buzzing about this article, what do you guys think?
I'll find it ridiculous. Some people just... go too far, I guess.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/arti...vor-compassion
Either the article is a "joke", or the writer doesn't understand Resident Evil...or videogames as a whole. Why do readers give any entity to this?
Old 11-02-19, 02:02   #30232
Vinkula
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
Do they ever decide what their actual complaint is? I stopped reading after they whined about not being able to put gauze on Marvin. They drop random stuff about police stations not being safe for people of color, then go on about roleplying the game as if they were an EMT, then they complain that it’s not realistic enough because you taking ammo as Claire doesn’t effect Leon, or Marvin. What the ****? I think that person who wrote the article severely didnt understand what the game was about, lmao.
Don't forget, she also wanted to examine every product at the gas station!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
Either the article is a "joke", or the writer doesn't understand Resident Evil...or videogames as a whole. Why do readers give any entity to this?
Most of the reactions are exactly what you expect, people saying she's ridiculous, WTF-reactions, you know.
Old 11-02-19, 02:13   #30233
trfan16
Archaeologist

I'm pretty sure Samz linked to a Youtube video that talked about that article a few pages back. As for the article itself, it seems like all she wants is her 15 minutes of fame and apparently it's working. Most of the "points" that she brought up apply to the original game as well, so I'm not sure why they're all of a sudden an issue now. Probably because the game is newly released and that's the only way to get attention lol. To sum it up, most of those alleged "issues" she points out are nonsensical (in the context of this game) and the overly pretentious writing makes it even more cringey.

Last edited by trfan16; 11-02-19 at 02:22.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 04:55   #30234
domino92
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinkula View Post
So, a lot of people have been buzzing about this article, what do you guys think?
I'll find it ridiculous. Some people just... go too far, I guess.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/arti...vor-compassion
Obviously this article wasn't written from the perspective of someone who plays survival horror games often, but I kind of appreciate that.

Oftentimes horror games become an every-man-for-himself affair. It's not about surviving cohesively with others, or being a good person in a morally-complicated situation. In the real world, we likely would seek first aid for Marvin, but this is a horror video game where you need to go on alone and hoard your healing items for your survival.

I think it highlights how social horror games aren't really a big thing. And I don't mean multiplayer horror, because that exists. I mean horror games where you need to give consideration to others. The closest one I can think of is This War of Mine, which isn't really a horror game but fits the mold well enough.

It's interesting. Not something I agree with, but as a veteran of the survival horror genre I naturally wouldn't.

EDIT: Wow. Apparently a writer sharing an interesting personal experience with a video game is really offensive to some people. There's a lot of beef being thrown in this thread at someone who had the gall to write an opinion piece about a video game. News flash. You guys all have terrible opinions too. You just don't have a byline above them.

Last edited by domino92; 11-02-19 at 05:01.
domino92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 05:28   #30235
Isaac
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92 View Post
In the real world, we likely would seek first aid for Marvin,
But in the real world, you wouldn't be contagious of a virus that basically brings you back to life and make you hurt others. Marvin is unfortunately already a lost cause by the time we reach the RPD, whatever we want to achieve. He's bitten. As he said himself "We both know how it ends". He's gone.

I personally think RE3 was a bit worse on that end with the father who locks himself up in the containers in the warehouse. Jill hardly even try to reason with him or pull him out. We just... go... And when we come back, it's too late. Or Jill hardly interfering when Nemesis attacks Brad, she just stays there doing nothing despite him asking desperately for our help.

Hopefully REmake3 will make things better.

Last edited by Isaac; 11-02-19 at 05:34.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 05:50   #30236
Daft Raider
Archaeologist

I can’t wait to see the Nemesis shoot down the helicopter at the clocktower, that cutscene is so amazingly hilarious to me, how it starts out like it’s the end of the game, and Jill is saved, only for Nemesis to rain on her parade, her reaction is so perfect, I hope they can replicate how great that scene was in the remake.
Old 11-02-19, 14:16   #30237
Gothlegend
Archaeologist

Okay guys so I've JUST been able to start the game (Claire A) and I have to say I'm in LOVE. It's such a beautiful rework of the original. And After seeing comparisons of normal vs hardcore, I feel like hardcore is the way to go. I've definitely died multiple times and had bouts of frustration but I boot up my last save right away. It really feels like a classic title with just the right amount of modern implementations.
Old 11-02-19, 20:42   #30238
shockwave_pulsar00
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92 View Post

EDIT: Wow. Apparently a writer sharing an interesting personal experience with a video game is really offensive to some people. There's a lot of beef being thrown in this thread at someone who had the gall to write an opinion piece about a video game. News flash. You guys all have terrible opinions too. You just don't have a byline above them.
No, it's the baiting that people don't like.

Several of her comments about the game were just to stir the pot and see what causes her article to spread like wild fire. It didn't seem like a genuine article the whole way through. Had she just focused on her EMT bit entirely, THAT would have been interesting.

The fact she only played till after meeting Marvin was another issues for some. She judges the whole game without giving it a real chance. She wants to rescue people? She'd have gotten her chance when Sherry was introduced.
Old 11-02-19, 20:59   #30239
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Speaking of people who go way too over the top with critisism, I'm never normally into the 'Everything Wrong With...' series as I feel they do knitpick but I was suprised by how many valid points they actually made for RE2.

They're not all valid, obviously but they're not rediculous like normal.
Old 11-02-19, 21:55   #30240
Isaac
Relic Hunter

The mods keep getting better
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote